GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 09:34 AM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by howdybob22
88 while on a cell phone with a suspended license. Did you throw her in Jail?
No, I couldn't even if I wanted to. She did not commit any crimes. She got 2 tickest: DWS and speeding.
Old 04-12-10, 03:14 PM
kbeli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by howdybob22
If this report is correct http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...h-had-earlier/ of the floor mat then Bob Barker Lexus is on the hook.
Also, from the report:
"The investigation found that the loaner car’s mat was about 2 inches longer than the one intended for that model and was made for the 2005-09 Lexus RX 400H sport utility vehicle.
In a nondriving test at the dealership by investigators, the same type of mat was placed in a Lexus ES 350 and the pedal, when pushed down, became entrapped."
I stand corrected. It will be interesting to see how the dealership's lawyers approach this one.
Old 04-13-10, 10:08 AM
sucka
Rookie

Originally Posted by silo113
I also posted in the other thread, but I need help on what to do. This Toyota acceleration is not BS!!! It just happened to me!! I was stopped at a light on my way back from lunch. Foot was on the brake. My car suddenly started revving/pulsing 6-7000rpm and thrusting forward. It would have taken off if I didn't keep the foot on the brake. I looked around thinking I was bumped from behind. I shifted in to neutral...no change. I shut it off. When I started it again it was a rough idle, but normal otherwise. I'm scared if my wife is driving it and it happens again.

WHAT DO I DO!?
I've made a few posts about this issue on my car when it was at the time supposedly just a Toyota contained problem. I have an 07 450 and from time to time, going 40-50 km/hr, the RPM's do flare up when i apply gas pedal pressure, and the acceleration continues a little bit after i release, as if my foot was still there. But it's not frequent and it's just for a fraction of a second. It doesn't bother me, just a minor nuisance that i would lump in with the rattles. But i can see how that could be an issue with a heavy footed person, or and older driver with decreased reaction or diminishing skills.
I just don't understand the need for electronic controlled pedal functions. It's taking a simple mechanical task and complicating it for no other reason than complication itself.
Old 04-13-10, 10:50 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieosp
Now, get this:

This mornnig I stopped a chick in I-5 for going 88 MPH in a 65 zone, (I am a state trooper) in the right lane on a 3 lanes portion, in heavy traffic, talking on the cell phone (recently banned in OR). Her license was suspended for 30 days two weeks ago for having too many tickets.

Her excuse: "Oh, my gas pedal got stuck".

Did I mention that she was driving a '97 Toyota RAV4?
you should of told her that she was lucky you stopped her because at 88 when the flux capacitor kicks in she could of been seriously electrocuted being on the cell phone. its a good thing you saved her life.
Old 04-13-10, 11:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Now, get this:

This mornnig I stopped a chick in I-5 for going 88 MPH in a 65 zone, (I am a state trooper) in the right lane on a 3 lanes portion, in heavy traffic, talking on the cell phone (recently banned in OR). Her license was suspended for 30 days two weeks ago for having too many tickets.

what a moron. I have gotten to the point where I will honk and pass anyone I see driving while on the cell phone.
Old 04-13-10, 11:46 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now, get this:

She's a moron. I am a huge supporter of banning hands-on cell phone usage in cars. In fact I think it should be treated as a DUI equivalent because it is just as risky. These people should be punished severely. I don't mind people speeding by 10 or 20 on a highway if they are focused active drivers. But people who talk on the phone, drive too fast for traffic, and put people at risk should be cracked down on.

Did you arrest her?
Old 04-13-10, 12:05 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

A hands free system makes zero difference compared to holding a phone up to your ear. It's the act of talking/thinking about something else that causes accidents/idiot behaviour. So does talking to a passenger, which basically is as distracting depending on what you are talking about.
Old 04-13-10, 12:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a lot of unrelated posting about phones, but where's the followup from OP about his Lexus.
Old 04-13-10, 01:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
A hands free system makes zero difference compared to holding a phone up to your ear. It's the act of talking/thinking about something else that causes accidents/idiot behaviour. So does talking to a passenger, which basically is as distracting depending on what you are talking about.
of course paying attention is the key, but at least forcing people to not hold phones will help to some extend

and like IS-SV said,let's get back on topic everyone, please
Old 04-13-10, 03:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by batman75
She's a moron. I am a huge supporter of banning hands-on cell phone usage in cars. In fact I think it should be treated as a DUI equivalent because it is just as risky. These people should be punished severely. I don't mind people speeding by 10 or 20 on a highway if they are focused active drivers. But people who talk on the phone, drive too fast for traffic, and put people at risk should be cracked down on.

Did you arrest her?
Just a few minutes ago a truck in an illegal area is driving in the fast lane on the freeway. I was stunned and yes I took a pic and will bish about it in Carchat

When I drove around the guy, HE WAS ON THE PHONE
Old 04-14-10, 01:28 PM
silo113
Rookie

Sorry guys, but no update to be had. Lexus corp. got back to me last week and said they had negotiated w/ a dealership to check out my car for free, but that I had to get it down there (2 hrs away). I recently had a 3rd baby, and run 2 busy offices and have had no time to do this. I haven't had any issues since the one time, but I have my video camera in the glove box if it does.
Old 04-14-10, 01:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silo113
Sorry guys, but no update to be had. Lexus corp. got back to me last week and said they had negotiated w/ a dealership to check out my car for free, but that I had to get it down there (2 hrs away). I recently had a 3rd baby, and run 2 busy offices and have had no time to do this. I haven't had any issues since the one time, but I have my video camera in the glove box if it does.
You had to negotiate with dealer on this?

Tell them to pick up your car and leave you a loaner.
Old 04-19-10, 04:33 AM
sagikun
Driver

Silo, how long would you say it was doing that high rpm accel thing while you your foot was on the brake? couple seconds? also how far would you say your car traveled during that time if at all? inches? feet? sorry, just curious. thanks
Old 04-19-10, 06:12 AM
sagikun
Driver

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Agree with Henry. They can view all the data logs with their scanners
Originally Posted by rominl
the prius in NY, never any codes, the guy pressed on the gas and not the brakes and crashed. the ecu recorded everything

no, it starts recording under certain conditions. called freeze frame data. toyota probably has there own name for it though. pending codes that are not yet hard codes can trigger a freeze frame recording depending on the manufacturer. its used for diagnostics. all manufactures have this. i never heard of any car recording 24/7 for no reason though. his prius very well likely had some kind of pending code that the pcm was monitoring and recording as it was getting ready to set a hard code. and he happend to wreck during that recording. all newer cars will have some kind of codes pending that never mature to hard codes. need a factory scanner to see it though. it all comes down to what when the manufacturer decides to record. a car could have the same code pending every key cycle that will never set a hard code. i think i heard somewhere that there another recording system or the same system thats triggerd when a accident is detected using ABS n stuff

[QUOTE=dunnojack;5363634]there was a TV segment about toyota recently....... They said that something like this wouldn't throw an error code in the black box.

yeah, blackbox i think. starts recording when a accident is detected right? or did u make that word up.

[QUOTE=rominl;5362786]the car was lurking to move forward? if you were in 1st gear, reving high to 6200rpm (redline. can't be more coz' i believe limiter will bounce), even with your foot on the brakes, the rear should brake loose just like doing a burnout? if the rear wheels didn't spin, seems like not that much power was going to the wheels.

i was thinking the exact same thing. but after thinking about it, the gs300 is all wheel right? and he lives in cali, it was during the day with warm road, all wheeel drive... i really dont think hed be able to break loose them stock bridgestones even at 6k. even if he did, VSC would kick right away. and we all know theres no way around that thing. sitting on top of some stock bridgestones im guessing.

[QUOTE=Toymota;5366041]Like others have said, 6,000 rpm in Drive against the brakes would have exceeded the torque converter stall speed. If it was true, then the one-way clutch in the torque converter stator, or one of the clutches or brakes in the transmission could be permanently damaged now. I would tell Lexus to check these.

and if its found to have damage then what? that doesnt prove anything but that he has damaged parts. good for waranty claim. nothing more.

Originally Posted by TWong1200
I couldn't agree more. These cars don't have IAC's anymore as everything is controlled electronically but, do you know if there's any sort of IAC-like device on the throttle body? Or does the throttle plate simply open slightly to allow more air?

dunno bout the 300, but my 430 has a IAC. its vaccuum operated
Old 04-19-10, 06:24 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sagikun
dunno bout the 300, but my 430 has a IAC. its vaccuum operated
The 430 engine was a carryover from the 2GS, other 3GS models all have new engines and they don't have IACs.

Quick Reply: The acceleration problem just happened to me!!!