GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Buying Used GS vs. ES vs. TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 11:30 AM
94gorby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Used GS vs. ES vs. TL

Hi All!

I am just at the end of my lease on my 300C, all in all a good car put over 50k on it in my 3 years of ownership and now its time to purchase a used vehicle. The 300c was reliable in the shop 3 times and hell of alot of power but due to recession and gas mileage I can no longer afford a new car and have to purchase a used luxury car.

Im not willing to spend more then $20-$25k used.

Options :

2007 ES350
2006 GS300

I really like the look and refinement of the GS300. Do you think this car could go 200k if properly maintaned? Any key things to look at in this model. I like the ES350 but reading reviews there are tranny/oil problems galore on the forum.

Performance isnt an issue as much anymore I drove an almost 400HP 300c for 3 years my 3 main concerns:

Is maintnence alot on the lexus like a bmw or audi.

-# 1 reliability (if I own it I want it out of the dealer)
-# 2 Luxury/Comfort
-# 3 Performance/Effeciency

I have also considered a used Acura TL.
Old 04-01-10, 12:15 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a GS300 AWD, and other than the well known dash rattles, (a feature, not a bug ) it has been completely trouble free. Maintenance cost is a variable which will depend on where you go for service. If to Lexus, then yes, it can be pricey, but you certainly get treated quite well. If you are seriously looking at the GS, suggest that you buy a CPO, which provides an extended warranty – call it added insurance. As far as comfort and luxury, the GS is, in my opinion, superb. Performance, well, you're not going to win a lot of drag races, but it's more than adequate - you really need to drive one. As far as efficiency, you will likely be amazed at the fuel mileage, we have seen over 30 on long trips and we have been averaging in the low 20's with our normal in town/suburbs short trip driving.

Good Luck.
Old 04-01-10, 01:29 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

If you rate performance last, then get the ES 350. It will be more reliable (in terms of less things that can break) and has a much more comfortable ride that almost makes you seasick.

I would put the GS in the middle for your criteria. It is RWD so it will feel more sporty and handle better (no torque steer, less understeer). However, it is more prone to minor issues due to the very complicated design of some things. Would it go to 200k properly maintained? I'm sure there is no questioning that it will. However, chances are you will spend more money fixing things like the tilt down mirror, rear sunshade, and other small things that will certainly go wrong after using the car for a long time.

I would put the TL last, as its not very luxurious and has a very harsh ride.
Old 04-01-10, 02:04 PM
Bambigular
Rookie

I would go with the GS. I pick up one about a month ago and couldn't be happier. I test drove the ES but it felt too grandpaish for me. The GS does get good mpg around 30 hwy and mid 20s around town. I'm sure the ride is going to be way better than the 300c, with less power of course. The TL is a nice car very reliable but I only get one if the price was unbelievable and had super low miles.. Good luck
Old 04-01-10, 02:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would have to say the GS because its the only one with RWD. I like the ES but its FWD and floaty. The TL is awesome but FWD and stiff as hell. All in all you can not go wrong with any of the 3.....its all about preference and whats important
Old 04-01-10, 03:17 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

I would go with the GS first because it has somewhat good power, luxurious, reliable. Second choice will be the ES350 as it is more old people car. floaty, extremely quiet. As for the TL don't even consider it. I have one and it is a nice car but not luxurious at all.. Rattles more than the gs, it has its very nice interior design but the engine is very intrusive, when going over bumps the rear end tends to want to fish tale. not just me, many other drivers say the same. The gas mileage on the TL is horrible. The best i have gotten on a full tank is about 280 miles and that is feathering it with mostly highway miles. for the city driving I get no better than 16-17 mpg. ride isn't as well as Lexus but not major problems to this day. Just my opinion and yes i have driven all 3 and own the 05 TL 50k miles and 06 GS 30k miles
Old 04-01-10, 04:00 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you considered the 06-08 M45 V8..I have..
Old 04-01-10, 04:17 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the GS is the best car on the list, but the ES is likely more reliable And less expensive to maintain.

I would get the GS on your shoes. Also consider M45 as another poster suggested.
Old 04-01-10, 07:55 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Concider Acura RL as well.
It is less flashy ride, if you don’t want to show off: SH-AWD, the ride is very comfortable, but not sloppy. Good reliability, larger than the GS, but mpg is a tag short of that of GS.
Old 04-03-10, 03:56 PM
rewt75
Driver School Candidate

I just sold my '05 TL and bought a GS350. I really enjoyed the TL and it was a solid car. The interior is very nice, the engine is peppy and it was reliable. I didn't experience horrible gas mileage. It got around 19 in the city and I could get 30 on the highway. That's about the same as my GS350.
The interior of the GS is much nicer than the TL. I won't compare the engine as you're looking at GS300 and not a 350.
I've never driven the ES350 but it is a bit of an old person's car. Plus I see them EVERYWHERE. You don't see that many GSs.
Old 04-03-10, 07:31 PM
DaBeast
Driver

IMO the GS vs. the ES isn't really even a comparison. The ES to me is for old people and the GS just is a far superior car but that is just me.
Old 04-04-10, 03:16 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

a nice comparison would be the GS350 and M35 sport.. both look great and offer great looking interior and exteriors..
Old 04-05-10, 10:46 AM
AlexTER
Driver School Candidate

I have some experience with decision making process related to GS as I purchased low miles GS350 AWD in Nov 2009, 2007 model. Initially I didn't even consider this car as I was looking to buy either 2007 Audi A6 or 2007 BMW 528/35xi. My requirement was all wheel drive due to winter condition I am dealing in my area. So I drove couple Audi A6 first. Nice car but I didn't like engine noise, always felt used inside with way leather was worn. Also I noticed every single one had paint chip problem, lot of chips no matter how low the mileage was. Also chrome "bridge" between taillights was kind of dull, it lost shine. I noticed same problem with chrome around windows. This really turned me off. I liked BMW engine, but interior really in this car sucked and looked really used for most part. Than friend of mine suggested to look GS350 as an option. So one evening I stopped by Lexus dealership on my way from BMW test drive and tried one GS. The car was white pearl color , beige interior, parked right under that huge reflector light at the parking lot so I could see every detail on that car. And boy did that car look great, no paint chip, paint job perfect, interior was such that there was no difference b/w brand new GS parked next to it. And driving experience was fabulous. The cabin was so quiet compared to Audi (which I was thinking I will sattle with), so I just couldn’t resist. I both that car next day and haven’t regretted it so far.
Old 04-05-10, 11:03 AM
AlexTER
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Following up my previous post - some pics...And I didn't even wax it yet...
Attached Thumbnails Buying Used GS vs. ES vs. TL-dsc05187s.jpg   Buying Used GS vs. ES vs. TL-dsc05189s.jpg   Buying Used GS vs. ES vs. TL-dsc05186s.jpg  
Old 04-05-10, 11:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 94gorby
Hi All!

I am just at the end of my lease on my 300C, all in all a good car put over 50k on it in my 3 years of ownership and now its time to purchase a used vehicle. The 300c was reliable in the shop 3 times and hell of alot of power but due to recession and gas mileage I can no longer afford a new car and have to purchase a used luxury car.

Im not willing to spend more then $20-$25k used.

Options :

2007 ES350
2006 GS300

I really like the look and refinement of the GS300. Do you think this car could go 200k if properly maintaned? Any key things to look at in this model. I like the ES350 but reading reviews there are tranny/oil problems galore on the forum.

Performance isnt an issue as much anymore I drove an almost 400HP 300c for 3 years my 3 main concerns:

Is maintnence alot on the lexus like a bmw or audi.

-# 1 reliability (if I own it I want it out of the dealer)
-# 2 Luxury/Comfort
-# 3 Performance/Effeciency

I have also considered a used Acura TL.
The ES/TL are both based off lesser platforms but do a good job making people not notice that. The ES is more tuned for comfort the TL more for sport.

The GS has a noticeable different in build quality and is a level higher than both. It is also a proper RWD luxury setup and not FWD. I think the GS has aged fabulously and the interior still looks new.

If you could find a GS 350 I think it would really match your needs well. Faster than the 430 and nearly as efficient as the 300.

Originally Posted by AlexTER
I have some experience with decision making process related to GS as I purchased low miles GS350 AWD in Nov 2009, 2007 model. Initially I didn't even consider this car as I was looking to buy either 2007 Audi A6 or 2007 BMW 528/35xi. My requirement was all wheel drive due to winter condition I am dealing in my area. So I drove couple Audi A6 first. Nice car but I didn't like engine noise, always felt used inside with way leather was worn. Also I noticed every single one had paint chip problem, lot of chips no matter how low the mileage was. Also chrome "bridge" between taillights was kind of dull, it lost shine. I noticed same problem with chrome around windows. This really turned me off. I liked BMW engine, but interior really in this car sucked and looked really used for most part. Than friend of mine suggested to look GS350 as an option. So one evening I stopped by Lexus dealership on my way from BMW test drive and tried one GS. The car was white pearl color , beige interior, parked right under that huge reflector light at the parking lot so I could see every detail on that car. And boy did that car look great, no paint chip, paint job perfect, interior was such that there was no difference b/w brand new GS parked next to it. And driving experience was fabulous. The cabin was so quiet compared to Audi (which I was thinking I will sattle with), so I just couldn’t resist. I both that car next day and haven’t regretted it so far.
Congrats!