GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: What are your feelings about the 3rd Gen GS. Now
I love my GS and will buy another
40.00%
The GS is OK and I might buy another
46.32%
Not Thrilled with the GS and Probably won't buy
11.58%
GS is a real disappointment and I am done with Lexus!
2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on your Love/Hate of 3rd Gen. GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 03:22 PM
RooRa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my car, It feels like a broken in shoe.

I think Lexus did what they were supposed to do with this car. Its built solid, great looking and etc. Everyone has a few things on their list they want to improve (rattling, hp, service you name it). That is why we upgrade to a better car when we actually buy a new car. (I consider going from a 06 to a 09 or 11 a upgrade even if it is the same car)

All in all I love my car =) cause its MINE! ALL MINE! MUHAHA (evil laugh)

I really want a LS as my next car. Looks so clean and my sports car days are over I think. I rather have comfort/luxury than looking cool and going fast even though I'm only 24 :lol:
Old 04-09-10, 04:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RooRa
I think Lexus did what they were supposed to do with this car. Its built solid, great looking and etc. Everyone has a few things on their list they want to improve (rattling, hp, service you name it). That is why we upgrade to a better car when we actually buy a new car. (I consider going from a 06 to a 09 or 11 a upgrade even if it is the same car)
i am not sure if i agree totally with that. going from 2gs to 3gs, you'd expect an improvement in all areas. i do agree that on a lot of things, 2gs is now considered outdated and 3gs is more modern, but in some areas the 3gs has gone backward (trunk space, cabin room, and most important, finish and finish and quality).

i think that's the main complain from a lot of owners.
Old 04-09-10, 05:00 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS seems too numb and conservative. Drives too smooth and quiet. Body roll rocks it like a boat on the turns. Trunk and cabin space seems smaller than cars that aren't even as big as the GS.

On an off note, BMW and Audi's seem to have better road feel, but are a little too harsh. Exterior styling of them look nice, but their interiors looks like something designed from the 90's.

Benz seems to have a good balance. Nice sporty exterior and luxuriously modern interior with nice ride quality. My next car would probably be the new E-Class Coupe.
Old 04-09-10, 06:16 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two main dislikes:

1. Can't operate the Nav system while in motion.

2. B pillar is too large (large blind spot); making it difficult to back up from an
angled (45 degree) parking space.
Old 04-09-10, 06:22 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Two main dislikes:

1. Can't operate the Nav system while in motion.

2. B pillar is too large (large blind spot); making it difficult to back up from an
angled (45 degree) parking space.
Number 1 is easy to solve. - A lot of us here did the 'Nav Hack' in the first couple months of ownership.

Number 2 - This is the first time I heard of this one! - Hadn't noticed this myself.

My main gripe is that I liked my 1999 GS300 a lot more. I liked the ride better, the size of the trunk and the rattle free chassis. Fix those and I'm good!
Old 04-09-10, 06:30 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

I love the look of my GS inside and out. It is a car that gets lots of looks. The body style wows me. At lower speeds under say 60 mph, it handles and rides nicely. However the higher speed hwy handling just sucks.

When the temperature gets into the high 70's, close to 80, I hear a rattle coming from the rear deck but I can not isolate where it is coming from. I don't think I would not buy it again. There is to much out there in the same CPO price range. And, I have only had it for a few months so unless I want to take a beating, I am pretty much stuck with it. Hopefully, the dealer will be able to find the rattle with the hit summer coming. However, the steering at hwy speed may be something they can't do anything with.

Last edited by ingoodtime; 04-09-10 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-09-10, 06:58 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been a BMW Coupe/manual transmission person for more years than I care to reveal. I really can't logically say why I bought my '07 GS350, except that I wanted a change of pace and thought (as I do now) it was a great looking and performing sedan. Bottom line, it is! However, I missed my historic automotive past, and bought my third BMW Coupe. Today, I have the best of both worlds. The GS is my daily driver, and I would (probably will) get another. The BMW is my weekend kick, and will also get another. To me, they can't be compared, and I wouldn't want to be without either.
Old 04-09-10, 07:08 PM
yogregb
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I love my GS but hate the rattles. I will probably go to Infiniti for the M37 next time. The Lexus service is amazing but I want a better car.Lexus is slipping relative to the vehicles they used to release. For 50k I want more than luxury and a quiet interior.

Lexus seems like they are getting like Mercedes........they think they are going to sell cars forever based on their old reputation. I hope they get their ish together on the 4th generation GS. Sometimes I wonder if my expectations are to high but I would have to say NO. If you have a reputation like Lexus the cars should be better than what I have seen in my GS. Its not bad or even average by any means but it should be better. The only way they will get their stuff together is if their consumers leave and go to Infiniti, BMW, Mercedes , etc.
My sentiments exactly, well said
Old 04-09-10, 10:10 PM
arichards2
Driver School Candidate

I like the interior, I think the car sits a little high from the factory...

Last edited by arichards2; 04-12-10 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 10:38 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I love the car, will def buy again if i had the funds to jump on another one lol..... my only complaint is how sensative the system of the car is.... I'm afraid of my upcoming car audio setup on the car
Old 04-10-10, 03:34 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
At lower speeds under say 60 mph, it handles and rides nicely. However the higher speed hwy handling just sucks.
I forgot about that. It does feel funny at high speed. Around 85-100, lane chaging doesn't feel safe or confident.
It's like the front wheels want to point where you aim but the second half of the car is having trouble following.
But I knew it coundn't handle with the same ability as the G35 I had.....sometimes I wish it were closer though.
I def want a coupe next time....but I still like my GS a lot. It's imitated but not completely duplicated. A trend setter. A stylish piece. Unique among the sport sedan crowd. That's important to me.
Old 04-10-10, 05:29 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

"I forgot about that. It does feel funny at high speed. Around 85-100, lane chaging doesn't feel safe or confident."

unfortunately, mine doesn't inspire confidence over about
60 mph. Wind and road surface also come into play.
I am going to ask the dealer to address this issue again.
Old 04-10-10, 09:12 AM
knicker
Pole Position

for all you guys that arent satisfied....im in the market to buy
Old 04-10-10, 09:44 AM
erik535353
Driver

I still think it is one of the BEST LOOKING sedans out there!! In my opinion It crushes a E-Class or 5 Series in looks. The engine is strong and solid. I do agree with all the stupid rattles and funky quirks, though. That is the downfall for me. As far as the handling goes, it improved with the drop, and tires. After a strut bar, and sway bar, I think I'll be good. All in All it's a Great Car.
Old 04-10-10, 09:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by knicker
for all you guys that arent satisfied....im in the market to buy
want to buy mine as it?

Quick Reply: Poll on your Love/Hate of 3rd Gen. GS