GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

I can't help myself....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-10, 11:37 AM
ART007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I can't help myself....

New member .. hello all ...

So, very soon I shall be in the market for a much needed upgrade. I will be looking around for an 08/09 GS 350.

I have started my quest by researching the crap out of this car online from editor reviews, consumer reviews, every lexus forum I can find etc etc I haven't yet gone to test drive the car but I'm sitting here at work and curiosity has gotten the best of me.

**disclaimer** yes i know the accord and gs350 are not in the same category. I'm coming from a 2dr accord and the driver's side I feel pretty nice and cozy in. Same with my old IS300. Everything is at my fingertips and I don't have to move around too much.

Just wanted some input on the design and feel of the driver's side, nothing more/nothing less

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ART007; 04-15-10 at 07:32 AM. Reason: for clarification
Old 04-14-10, 11:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to clublexus!

well it's hard to compare the gs to the accord, when you get to rwd cars, it drives very differently, i can guarantee you that. i can't say the 3gs space is very roomy, but it drives like any other normal 4 door sedan. i doesn't drive anything like my coupe of course. i will say handling should be noticeably better than accord in general, but again, i think you should go in with the mindset that the gs is a very different car from your accord, and go from there
Old 04-14-10, 11:52 AM
ART007
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply I appreciate it.

I should probably clarify myself .... I meant more like ... as you're just sitting there in the driver's seat does it have a nice feel as in conforming around you or might i feel like I'm swimming in the seat? I'm 5'7" bout 130lbs so I'm not exactly a "large" person lol
Old 04-14-10, 12:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by ART007

I should probably clarify myself .... I meant more like ... as you're just sitting there in the driver's seat does it have a nice feel as in conforming around you or might i feel like I'm swimming in the seat? I'm 5'7" bout 130lbs so I'm not exactly a "large" person lol
First off, welcome!

Are there a lot of cars that you don't feel like you're swimming in? No disrespect, but I can't imagine you not feeling like pretty much every car is spacious and has a lot of room.

Owning both a FWD coupe and a RWD sedan, the statement about driving different is totally relatable. I find that I have more room in the coupe than the sedan, but I prefer the sedan solely because the doors are much shorter (coupes are a PITA to park, IMO, so this will be my last one save for an R8 or a DB9). I think with the generous console size and everything you won't feel like you have to slide over to change the radio station or anything.

Our opinions are just that, though - opinions. Go take a test drive. The dealer probably won't take you hostage, and if you like the car, even better!

Big Mack
Old 04-14-10, 12:13 PM
ART007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Big Mack
First off, welcome!

I think with the generous console size and everything you won't feel like you have to slide over to change the radio station or anything.

Big Mack
And that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid (sliding over and around) I don't ever feel cramped by any means but I still want everything at my fingertips. I had an IS300 too so I was sort of tempted to look at the IS250, but if I'm going to go 4dr again, I want a REAL 4dr.

I'm itching so bad to test drive one ... won't be until next weekend though. Too much on my plate right now.

thanks again
Old 04-14-10, 12:20 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

And that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid (sliding over and around) I don't ever feel cramped by any means but I still want everything at my fingertips. I had an IS300 too so I was sort of tempted to look at the IS250, but if I'm going to go 4dr again, I want a REAL 4dr.

I'm itching so bad to test drive one ... won't be until next weekend though. Too much on my plate right now.

thanks again
Given the list of features readily available right at the wheel, I don't think you'd have a problem. Either way, you're very lucky in that you can pick and choose from small cars. Those of us who are tall and large framed don't get those choices!

Let us know how the test drive goes.

Big Mack
Old 04-14-10, 12:27 PM
ART007
Driver School Candidate

You know .. sometimes it does pay to be a chick

Expect a full report when I do!!!!!
Old 04-14-10, 12:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nah you won't. i am 5'7" 150lb and i feel just fine in the driver seat. my wife is 5' 100lb and she's fine too

the 3gs seat lateral support is pretty reasonable, once you adjust the seat well you should be good
Old 04-14-10, 12:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

welcome to the crew. Trust me you are going to feel like you are in heaven driving a GS after an Accord. The Accords are not bad but they are firmer and FWD (eewww)
Old 04-14-10, 01:26 PM
ART007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
welcome to the crew. Trust me you are going to feel like you are in heaven driving a GS after an Accord. The Accords are not bad but they are firmer and FWD (eewww)
Oh I already know it's going to be a huge leap. The accord for me was the "practical" decision at that time. Going from no car pmt back to having a nice size pmt well... I want to LOVE the next car. Inside and out and everything in between. Some of the stuff I'm reading on the board scares me

I'm keeping all of my options open (for what I can spend) at this point but so far the GS is on the top of my list.

There's a guy that leaves the same time I do and he has a black GS350. I've been tempted to ask him if I could drive it around the parking lot

Last edited by ART007; 04-14-10 at 01:28 PM. Reason: add....
Old 04-14-10, 01:31 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine. My gf is about the same size as you and she loves driving my 3GS.
Old 04-14-10, 05:28 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The GS isn't even in the same category as a Accord. Night and day difference with both vehicles and i think you'll find the GS to be much more sportier and that cockpit feel.. The GS interior is one of the best IMO.. Congrats to another FL member
Old 04-15-10, 07:24 AM
ART007
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
The GS isn't even in the same category as a Accord. Night and day difference with both vehicles and i think you'll find the GS to be much more sportier and that cockpit feel.. The GS interior is one of the best IMO.. Congrats to another FL member
I know it's not in the same category....the original post didn't come across as intended so my apologies.

I was simply asking about just sitting in the seat ... the design .. how it feels around you ... I can't get out to tampa lexus for another week or so and I was bored at work ...
Old 04-15-10, 10:24 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

I was simply asking about just sitting in the seat ... the design .. how it feels around you ... I can't get out to tampa lexus for another week or so and I was bored at work ...
The seat feels, IMO, like it should. I have a 2nd gen GS, but I've driven the 3rd gen GS several times. It's designed much like the command center of a 3500 lb vehicle. Driver controls are placed ergonomically, with driving related controls having priority (cruise, mirrors, etc.), and climate/audio controls a close second.

Can't get there 'til next week, eh? I'm sure the anticipation is hard, but it should be worth it.

Big Mack
Old 04-15-10, 04:29 PM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Oh I already know it's going to be a huge leap. The accord for me was the "practical" decision at that time. Going from no car pmt back to having a nice size pmt well... I want to LOVE the next car. Inside and
A payment? Don't all GS drivers pay cash? I did. $35,500, all in for a used GS. Do not buy new. You may as well set fire to $20,000 cash.

Leasing is always a ripoff too. Dave Ramsey said so.

Quick Reply: I can't help myself....