GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What Fog HIDs Are Your Using ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 11:02 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^IX, that is fine for replacing just the bulb but when installing the entire kit ... I think it require to remove the bumper.

BJ, does your HID fog have a cutoff line to prevent glare? thx.
Old 04-19-10, 11:10 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
^IX, that is fine for replacing just the bulb but when installing the entire kit ... I think it require to remove the bumper.

BJ, does your HID fog have a cutoff line to prevent glare? thx.
I dunno I've never parked against a wall and bothered looking. Fog lights are aimed at the ground to begin with I doubt they glare much. If they do, it is nothing compared to the people running hid lowbeams on their civics all over the city so I won't even contemplate feeling bad about my fog lights.
Old 04-19-10, 11:13 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
removing the front bumper isnt even needed to install them. sure it makes it much easier but you can get away with just removing a few screws for the fender liner.
I know just offering to take some pics while mine is off. I would think you need to remove for the JDM fogs?
Old 04-19-10, 11:58 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to remove the bumper BUT it would be SMART to do so that the ballast can be mounted to something solid. Zip ties can do the job but the ballast will die out over time from vibrations due to the car/motor.
Old 04-19-10, 12:01 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
You don't need to remove the bumper BUT it would be SMART to do so that the ballast can be mounted to something solid. Zip ties can do the job but the ballast will die out over time from vibrations due to the car/motor.
I think it would take ages for this to happen with a quality rubber filled ballast. You can pretty much put them anywhere and I'd say as long as they aren't sliding around in the bumper *****-nilly it's fine.
Old 04-19-10, 12:05 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
I know just offering to take some pics while mine is off. I would think you need to remove for the JDM fogs?
Yea the jdm fogs would require it. i wasnt trying to sound like a ****, i just didnt want the poster to get scared thinking he had to remove his whole front bumper to install them.
Old 04-19-10, 12:25 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

My front bumper was "removed" for the installation of the jdm fogs
Old 04-19-10, 01:18 PM
Slamking18
Driver

I just ordered HIDextra 6000k fogs and love them... Super cheap compared to the competators and completely plug & play. The only complaint was one of my bulbs had some kind of hardened black stuff on the outside of the bulb which I was told to just turn the bulb on and let it burn off. Well when I did this, it releases smoke in my fog housing and now there is just a little bit of a haze on one side (not enough to worry though).

Install was a breeze. I actually found that there are brackets on each side of the bumper that works great to mount the ballasts using the included bracket and bolts. The passenger side even had a pre-threaded hole that was unused that worked perfect!
Old 04-19-10, 01:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamking18
I just ordered HIDextra 6000k fogs and love them... Super cheap compared to the competators and completely plug & play. The only complaint was one of my bulbs had some kind of hardened black stuff on the outside of the bulb which I was told to just turn the bulb on and let it burn off. Well when I did this, it releases smoke in my fog housing and now there is just a little bit of a haze on one side (not enough to worry though).

Install was a breeze. I actually found that there are brackets on each side of the bumper that works great to mount the ballasts using the included bracket and bolts. The passenger side even had a pre-threaded hole that was unused that worked perfect!
This is a turn-off. I don't want smoke and then haze in my housing.
Old 04-19-10, 01:39 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6000K Fogs from HIDextra as well!
Old 04-19-10, 03:55 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maying856
6000K Fogs from HIDextra as well!
Me too.....so far so good.
Old 04-19-10, 05:17 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
Yea the jdm fogs would require it. i wasnt trying to sound like a ****, i just didnt want the poster to get scared thinking he had to remove his whole front bumper to install them.
not at all I wanted to make sure I was clear on my post. I have posted several times to say its a waste to take off the bumper to install. This is my first time taking off the bumper and its a lot easier then I thought it would be.
Old 04-21-10, 10:37 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
This is a turn-off. I don't want smoke and then haze in my housing.
Yeah, it really is hard to see, and I am pretty sure it was a fluke that I ended up with a bulb with something on it. I just took their advise to just let it burn off and now that this happened, I would recommend anyone else to just request that they replace the bulb. I wouldn't let this steer anyone away from buying from them as the buying experience was great and they do look fantastic.

-D
Old 04-21-10, 10:41 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Xenon Depot Volt Digital 6000K kit. I've bought from Steve before so I'm most comfortable with that. And from the pics I've seen on the forum this particular kit looks super bright.
Old 04-21-10, 10:58 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Steve (Xenon Depot) has great customer service

Quick Reply: What Fog HIDs Are Your Using ?