GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

4TH Generation GS to be released on...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 11:08 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batman75
Did she mean an all new model, or did she just mean the 2011 GS350.

4 months from first announcement to launch seems like an exceptionally short time. Also I thought GS is on a 7 year cycle.
I was told by Lexus that we should be seeing a 4GS soon because of all the unresolved problems of the 3GS. Lexus can’t even figure out how to stop the dash from rattling.
Old 04-20-10, 11:39 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what they will do with engines and transmissions?

I think they should make the 8-speed standard on all petrol cars. I hope they have new engines too. I would like to see a twin-turbo V8.

I know some of you think turbos aren't consistent with the Lexus reputation for quiet, smooth luxury cars. However the new Rolls Royce Ghost has turbos, and if it can be engineered to meet the requirements of Rolls Royce, then I am sure it can be engineered to meet the requirements of Lexus.

I would also like to see a GS600H - maybe in the form of a GSFh
Old 04-20-10, 01:12 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hope they don't botch it.

after looking at their recent stuff, I don't know what the Lexus design language is anymore. all their recent mainstream stuff looks like garbage.
Old 04-20-10, 03:01 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
hope they don't botch it.

after looking at their recent stuff, I don't know what the Lexus design language is anymore. all their recent mainstream stuff looks like garbage.
That's what i think too. Excepting the LFA which is a special case, the last nice car they launched was the LS460.

The most reason mainstream cars HS250h and GX460 look like dated Japanese design from the previous decade. Serious lack of imagination on those cars - at least as far as external design goes.
Old 04-20-10, 03:29 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
This is true if you own the car but on a lease the residual is already set and can not be change by market conditions. So on a lease, you are safe but if you own your car - you need to get out ASAP before 4GS comes out.
If you own the car and want to own it for a while then it should no matter.

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
I was told by Lexus that we should be seeing a 4GS soon because of all the unresolved problems of the 3GS. Lexus can’t even figure out how to stop the dash from rattling.
You are confident the 4GS will have rattle free dash? what are other unsolved problems of the 3GS?
Old 04-20-10, 04:46 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? Sounds a year early to me.

I agree it is partially Lexus admitting defeat over this gen, or maybe they
are going with a shorter cycle for the GS (maybe a good thing). This has to
be one of the most delicate balancing acts there are. To make the GS a
success without eating away into LS sales.

I guess there have been enough rumors of it coming out that you may
be right it is right around the corner. Supposedly some internal Lexus people
have already seen it...
Old 04-20-10, 04:49 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing can be guaranteed as we don't have that model yet!
Old 04-20-10, 04:55 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

All I know is I have actually put off buying a 2010 to await the arrival of the next gen. The current modles are beautiful....but they just lack the "edginess" that I am looking for. i.e. sleeker rake and different lines.
Whenver the next Gen is....it had better be damn sharp..
airlaird
Old 04-20-10, 05:56 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
All I know is I have actually put off buying a 2010 to await the arrival of the next gen. The current modles are beautiful....but they just lack the "edginess" that I am looking for. i.e. sleeker rake and different lines.
Whenver the next Gen is....it had better be damn sharp..
airlaird
Never say never, but I wouldn't buy the first model year of a car. Never want to be the beta-tester (or car dummie) for the manufacturer. Unless the engine is a carry-over into 2011, odds are not in favor that I'd immediately jump on the 4GS bandwagon.
Old 04-20-10, 06:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the problem with having no spy shots....... is that unless they have a world class testing center, it means they are not driving this car out into the real world, where extreme temperatures and road conditions exist........... which means you can bet rattles will be standard in the 4GS as well.

were there ever any early spy shots of the ES350?
I don't recall any. and that car was a huge rattlebox. Every panel inside rattled.
I drove ES350 loaner cars with as little as 10k miles on them, and it sounded like the car was gonna fall apart.

so i have to wonder where they test drive their cars, and how they keep them hidden so well....

look at benz and bmw. they wrap their cars and take them on the road. Now that's proper testing

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-20-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 06:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bushwack
She replied the preview date of 4GS is June 29 and release date sometime in October (she wants me to extend my lease another six months for the 'seamless transition' to move into a 4GS). She has not seen a picture of the 4GS.

So...there you have it. Take this for what its worth (not sure I'd bank on it but she did volunteer the information AND the call was being recorded). She either error-ed BIG TIME or...made a big time error.
Someone from Lexus corporate said this? Interesting. I half suspect that it is June 29, 2011 but in just two months? Without a concept model a la LF-S? Or perhaps June 29 is the concept? LF-Sh premiered in October 2005 at Tokyo, followed by LS 460 in January 2006 at NAIAS. LF-S premiered in October 2003 at Tokyo, while 3GS premiered at January 2004 at NAIAS...

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the problem with having no spy shots....... is that unless they have a world class testing center, it means they are not driving this car out into the real world, where extreme temperatures and road conditions exist........... which means you can bet rattles will be standard in the 4GS as well.

were there ever any early spy shots of the ES350? [..]

look at benz and bmw. they wrap their cars and take them on the road. Now that's proper testing
Lexus does extensive testing, and there were a few spy shots of the ES 350 during testing in the US. They test in Europe, Middle East, and at their multiple world-class Japanese test facilities, and do a much better job at keeping things secret than other makes. No spyshots means nada as far as testing goes, other than that their secrecy efforts are working.

Last edited by encore888; 04-20-10 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 07:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Its too soon I think....
Old 04-20-10, 09:46 PM
jason60050
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a leftover 2009 so hopefully Lexus waits a bit longer to come out with the 4GS.
Old 04-20-10, 10:02 PM
jason60050
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Wikipedia...looks like 2014 for the next gen GS.

GS F
Lexus is rumored to be working on a high performance Lexus GS F, the second model in its current F marque line-up, joining its younger sibling, the Lexus IS F in the 2012 model year, along with the redesigned Lexus GS. The car was speculated to be powered by the high performance V10 to be slotted into the Lexus LFA supercar, producing over 500 horsepower (370 kW).[18] However, information has leaked via Twitter that the V-10 engine in the LFA is completely bespoke, and will not be slotted into a potential GS-F. The 2014 model year will reportedly be the next generation
Old 04-20-10, 10:15 PM
LexFather

Rememeber yall the 2006 GS actually was sold starting February 2005.

Quick Reply: 4TH Generation GS to be released on...