GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Continental Tire DWS Epic Fail

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 07:08 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Continental Tire DWS Epic Fail

"Continental tire states that the tires currently in production will not cover a third of the tires currently on back order.

We were told that we would not see these until late July on the early end."

So, it looks like if I want tires this summer I have to go elsewhere. Which is a shame because I can't find anything that seems to be nearly as good at the price ($140/tire).
Old 04-22-10, 07:27 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

then you have to worry about, is Continental sacrificing quality by trying to fill demand. then you end up having a major problem, a la Firestone with the tires they were putting on the Explorers back in the early 2000s.
Old 04-22-10, 07:34 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow...that really blows, Jay. When I got mine, they had to call me back to confirm that they could even acquire the size I needed. Luckily they did. They are great tires, for the price. They grip really well. They are much quieter than my previous Falkens but I still want something quieter. I wonder if the Pilot Sport A/S+'s are quieter or not. Hmmm...Good luck!
Old 04-22-10, 07:40 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Wow...that really blows, Jay. When I got mine, they had to call me back to confirm that they could even acquire the size I needed. Luckily they did. They are great tires, for the price. They grip really well. They are much quieter than my previous Falkens but I still want something quieter. I wonder if the Pilot Sport A/S+'s are quieter or not. Hmmm...Good luck!
The Pilot Sports cost a LOT more too. At this rate I might just do with my current tires this summer and put off putting new ones on until next spring. I'm not too worried about them sacrificing quality, if they were, then I'd expect they'd have them out for sale by now.

Prices are going up on the tires, I think they are just going to adjust the wholesale price upwards to quell demand.
Old 04-22-10, 08:42 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

crap, i was going to order these. i can't complain too much about my General UHP's, but they are not as quiet as the Continental's. thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-10, 08:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

When I read the title I thought it was going to be about the tires having issues or not living up to the reviews which would be a shame because I read great things about them and plan on getting them when it is time to replace my current tires.

When I was living on the East coast a few years ago and needed new tires I wanted to get the Continental Extreme Contact all season tires because of their better snow rating but every single place I called said they were on back order and I probably would not be able to get them for weeks if not months. Many of the places said the Continentals were popular tires because of high ratings and being relatively inexpensive where fleets and agencies that supply vehicles often use them who all seem to order them at the same time which is why they are often unavailable. I was disappointed and ended up having to get a different tire.
Old 04-22-10, 08:56 AM
GSgal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally ordered the DWS's but they wanted me to wait over month for them. I said no and ordered the Continental Tire DW (I don't need snow tires). Cost me $169 each from Discount Tires. These are so much better than my stock Yoko Advan A10's on my 08 GS.

Last edited by GSgal; 04-22-10 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 12:29 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSgal
I originally ordered the DWS's but they wanted me to wait over month for them. I said no and ordered the Continental Tire DW (I don't need snow tires). Cost me $169 each from Discount Tires. These are so much better than my stock Yoko Advan A10's on my 08 GS.
For me, I'd like to have the snow rating. I don't plan on using them for the winter but there is a period of time when the weather is unpredictable for a few months and I want a buffer so that I don't have to rush to swap wheels and burn through the winter rubber like crazy when half the time it's still warm out.

Plus, DW is more expensive and doesn't have nearly as good of a treadwear rating so... I'm going to stick it out on this one. My next choice was the Kumho LX Platinum but... a bit more expensive and with Kumho being in financial trouble I'm not really sure about their tires right now.
Old 04-22-10, 02:21 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I just got a set of Bridgestone Serenitys - The guy at tires Plus owns a GS also and he has them on his car. --- No problem getting these tires and Tire Rack rates them highly and the smoothest riding tire for the GS
Old 04-22-10, 04:20 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I just got a set of Bridgestone Serenitys - The guy at tires Plus owns a GS also and he has them on his car. --- No problem getting these tires and Tire Rack rates them highly and the smoothest riding tire for the GS
$250 for those vs $140 for DWS. Doesn't really seem like a good value when comparing -- other than the fact you can actually buy them!
Old 04-22-10, 05:05 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
$250 for those vs $140 for DWS. Doesn't really seem like a good value when comparing -- other than the fact you can actually buy them!
What are you talking about? - I paid $159 for mine. I just checked tire rack and they are still $159 !!

Get a set!
Old 04-22-10, 05:11 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

What are you talking about? - I paid $159 for mine. I just checked tire rack and they are still $159 !!

Get a set!
Link? This is what I see...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 04-22-10, 05:21 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
The size that came with your Car is Here !

Your Correct Size in the Serenity
Old 04-22-10, 05:36 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

The size that came with your Car is Here !

Your Correct Size in the Serenity
That's an inch too small, and a couple sizes too narrow for my rims. It's too bad it makes such a difference in the price.

My order, which may never come, for 245/40/18 were $140 each. Tire Rack had them for $135 for a while, too, but charged shipping on top of that. Not really an apples to apples price comparison here.
Old 04-23-10, 08:16 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I decided to go ahead and order Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. I got them for only a bit more than the DWS, and they have an even better treadlife rating which is attractive and most people have only good things to say about them. Hopefully Kumho will still be around for a while. :P

They are expected to ship in about a week as they are special order.

Local tire shop quoted me around $160 for Mounting, Balancing, TPMS install and registration. More than I'm used to paying for mounting new tires but that's TPMS for you. Still cheaper than Lexus by about $80 from what I recall. I'm not really convinced Lexus can do any better of a job of it... the tire shop actually said it would be about a week before they could do it because they actually just ordered the new equipment that they need to register toyota TPMS sensors.

Quick Reply: Continental Tire DWS Epic Fail