GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Closing the windows using the door handle button...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 08:44 PM
Slamking18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Closing the windows using the door handle button...

Hey all,

I am looking for some help to find out if this is a problem on my car. I have a GS460 and I am wanting to be able to roll my windows up by pushing and holding the door handle button. I read in the manual where it says by pushing and holding the door handle button for 3 seconds, it will close all the windows and moon roof. When I try this on mine, it doesn't do anything. I noticed that the manual is somewhat generic as it is common for both the 350 and 460, but i would hope that Lexus would not take features away from the 460.

I took my car in to the dealer to have my brother take a look at it and when he hooked it up to the computer, he couldn't see anywhere where this feature was turned off.

I would like to ask that at least someone with a GS350, GS450h, and GS460 try this on their cars and report back to me the results. I would really appreciate this as I am trying to figure out if it is different between the cars or if my car has an issue that needs warrantied.

Now I have tried this on my parents ES350 and it works as described so I know the feature exists with Lexus.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-10, 09:29 PM
demonds
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure is the door handle???? Mine does that but from the key fob button, You leave it down for 3 sec and everything opens. Is good for hot days to let some air out before you get in the car. I just never heard you could do it form the door handle.
Old 05-01-10, 11:07 PM
Slamking18
Driver

Yeah, the key fob "unlock" press and hold opens the windows and moon roof, but pressing and holding the door handle button is supposed to close the windows and moon roof.

I know the key fob works, but my door handle doesn't and the manual says that it should. I have also confirmed that using the key in the door works as well. Considering the manual states that this is how it should work, and it doesn't I want to make sure of it so I need all of your help by trying it on your 350's, 450h's, and 460's.
Old 05-01-10, 11:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok i was playing from my memory so i didn't want to say, but just for you i went downstairs just now to test.

- press and hold unlock button on remote, rolls down everything
- press and hold lock button on remote, does NOT have any effect
- use the mechanical key and turn counter clockwise to lock position and hold, rolls up everything
- use the mechanical key and turn clockwise to unlock position and hold, rolls down everything
- press and hold lock button on door handle, does NOT have any effect.

that's the case for all us spec lexus, pressing and holding lock button won't do anything (for whatever silly reason). in some other regions, they work fine
Old 05-01-10, 11:33 PM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
that's the case for all us spec lexus, pressing and holding lock button won't do anything (for whatever silly reason). in some other regions, they work fine

Thanks for checking on this for me... You have a 350 right? Also, that isn't entirely true about what you say with all US spec lexus. I have tried this on my parents 2008 ES350 and it does work.

I know it is a small thing, but it is kind of irritating that it doesn't work when the manual states that it should and explains how to do it.
Old 05-01-10, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Slamking18
Thanks for checking on this for me... You have a 350 right? Also, that isn't entirely true about what you say with all US spec lexus. I have tried this on my parents 2008 ES350 and it does work.

I know it is a small thing, but it is kind of irritating that it doesn't work when the manual states that it should and explains how to do it.
yes i have gs350. that's right, i forgot you mentioned about es350. so on that car you press and hold the button on the door handle it will roll up everything? i know on my gs350 and if memory serves me right, the ls460l, they don't work

make me curious, on your parents es, if you press and hold lock button on the remote, what happens?

if i get chance i need to look at manual and see what it says
Old 05-01-10, 11:45 PM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
yes i have gs350. that's right, i forgot you mentioned about es350. so on that car you press and hold the button on the door handle it will roll up everything? i know on my gs350 and if memory serves me right, the ls460l, they don't work

make me curious, on your parents es, if you press and hold lock button on the remote, what happens?

if i get chance i need to look at manual and see what it says
Yeah, my parent's ES350 works. pressing and holding the lock on the Fob does nothing though. The manual doesnt really state that anywhere though, so I think that is normal.

My brother said he is going to talk to his shop foreman when he goes back into work. This feature should work considering our manuals state it.

The biggest reason I am pushing this is that I do use the key fob "unlock" feature to open my windows and it is convenient. I have caught myself at times turning my car off and forgetting to close my windows. it would be nice to just hold the lock button down on the handle instead of having to get in the car and turn the car on to roll them up..
Old 05-02-10, 09:14 PM
Slamking18
Driver

Bump......

Has anyone else had a chance to try this out? I have only had one response with a GS350 and would like to get at least a few more responses with at least one of each GS350, GS450h, and GS460...

Thanks
-D
Old 05-03-10, 11:07 AM
docfnky
Rookie

i have a GS450h and holding down the button does nothing. Maybe we're missing a wire?
Old 05-03-10, 11:19 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Never tried it, I wish it were true. Far as I know there is no way to close everything the way there is to open everything.

Personally I wouldn't mind if everything closed automatically when all doors are locked and the engine is off.
Old 05-03-10, 12:41 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i have a 300 and it doesnt work but like henry said if you put the key in and turn and hold it counter clock wise, it will roll everything up.
Old 05-03-10, 12:46 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i have a 300 and it doesnt work but like henry said if you put the key in and turn and hold it counter clock wise, it will roll everything up.
Key?! I've never used it... barbaric. :P
Old 05-03-10, 01:36 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i never used mine either til i was at my buddys house and he was all excited about his 08 335i and mentioned that his does that if he puts the key in. i told him i never tried it and i gave it a shot and it worked. thats probably the last time id ever try it again. i dont think i ever remove my key from the fob.
Old 05-03-10, 01:38 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I believe holding the lock button to close all windows is only enabled outside of North America. At least most cars in Europe with central door locks/windows have this function.
Old 05-03-10, 04:13 PM
Slamking18
Driver

Thanks to all of you that have tested this out. It is looking like the GS is missing this feature even thought the manual states it has it. Pretty disappointing, but at least its just a minor pet peeve..\

Originally Posted by ivanz
I believe holding the lock button to close all windows is only enabled outside of North America. At least most cars in Europe with central door locks/windows have this function.
That would be a bit peculiar considering my parents' ES350 works just fine. I would expect that if Lexus would do something silly like that, it would be for all models, not just the GS.

Quick Reply: Closing the windows using the door handle button...