GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Oil Change = new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 07:49 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change = new battery?

Geez, I take my 06 GS430 to the dealer to get an oil change as well as a fuel injection cleansing since after 68,000 miles it seems to be a tad sluggish at times.
Well, I get a call from them saying that my battery is completely dead and they can't even jump start it (cells were dead and less than 15% remaining?) and it will be another $140. Really? Funny b/c I've had no symptons of a battery on the verge of dying. 4 years for a battery is on par, I get that, but they can't even jump start it for me to take it somewhere else for a lot cheaper...really, the next time I would have started the car it wouldn't even power up?
It just frustrated me and rubbed me wrong I guess...I drive the car 99.9% of the time and the one time I'm not in it, that happened. Oh well, Interstate batt w/ 84 mo warranty here I come.

Has this been the norm for GS's battery dying around 70K miles???
Old 05-04-10, 07:53 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds reasonable to me. But then again I am only at 49,500 miles.
Old 05-04-10, 08:54 PM
3GS404
Lead Lap

i've 06-GS_430 just like ur car and mine battery just died out last week.. some how when mine battery is out..u CAN'T even jump start ur car..i have to take my battery to autozone to get a new one.. but my suggestion if u have a after market audio system or Air ride system... ur best bet is get the GEL type battery and it'll last u a very long time..
Old 05-04-10, 09:10 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Last time I tried to turn off the car, somehow it was still on and drain the battery dead. but i did manage to jump start it using my booster pack. I disagree that they r unable to jump start, unless the alternator died. But that would still start, just it'll die after unplug the jumper cable.
Old 05-04-10, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it could be, though on my gs400, my factory battery went to 90k no problem

140 bucks is crazy. get your own batter and bring it over
Old 05-04-10, 11:08 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

might as well go optima for that price.
Old 05-05-10, 08:03 AM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Speaking of battery replacement - do we need any codes to enter into radio or NAV after new battery is installed, or is the procedure as easy as swapping the battery? I could not find anything about it in the manual, but would rather get a confirmation from somebody who replaced the battery.
Old 05-05-10, 08:08 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can try pissing them off by sending AAA over there to jump start it. If AAA can get it started then you have them in a tight spot to explain themselves.

Also, batteries are expensive... I think I probably paid close to $140 for the little battery in my motorcycle. I've never tried those Optoma batteries since I've always been happy with the performance and longevity of OEM ones but if the price is the same and it's a better product then why not?

Last edited by BinaryJay; 05-05-10 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 02:10 PM
HomieG
Driver

Better yet, call roadside assistance and have them go over there and jump it. They are full of it if they're telling you it can't be jumped.

Btw, my '06 GS300 battery died at about 40,000 miles and 35 months of use. Lexus did cover it under warranty (and yes, I had roadside assistance come to my house to jump start the car so I could drive it over to the dealership).
Old 05-05-10, 03:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds normal to me. In AZ its hot as hell and we usually dont even get 40k out of a battery. $140 is nothing compared to the frustration of sitting in some random parking lot waiting for a tow truck for an hour and a half. Its just regular maintenance and you should consider yourself lucky that it died at the dealership
Old 05-05-10, 06:25 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StrannikMD
Speaking of battery replacement - do we need any codes to enter into radio or NAV after new battery is installed, or is the procedure as easy as swapping the battery? I could not find anything about it in the manual, but would rather get a confirmation from somebody who replaced the battery.
y not skip the whole thing.... change the battery while the engine is running. This way your electricity never get cut off.
Old 05-05-10, 06:34 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
sounds normal to me. In AZ its hot as hell and we usually dont even get 40k out of a battery. $140 is nothing compared to the frustration of sitting in some random parking lot waiting for a tow truck for an hour and a half. Its just regular maintenance and you should consider yourself lucky that it died at the dealership
yes, I do agree. Of all places for the battery to die, is when the dealer has my car and I have their loaner plus 3/4 of a tank of gas...oops, 1.5 days later I'm here to pick up my car...sorry you have no gas left in your loaner..lol (LUCKY I GUESS) I did think about all places I could be with a dead battery and no roadside assistance (I've been putting off getting AAA b/c I forgot). Just registered!
I was just mad at first...I'm the only one in my car 99.1% of the time and it died on them without any warning to me ahead of time...oh well. all good now.
Old 05-05-10, 07:10 PM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What dealership did you go to? Lexus on Atlantic?
Old 05-05-10, 09:32 PM
StrannikMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by worker
y not skip the whole thing.... change the battery while the engine is running. This way your electricity never get cut off.
Bad idea - see quote from http://www.jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq14.htm

"Disconnecting a battery while the engine is running could destroy the sensitive electronic components connected to the electrical system such as the emission computer, radio, audio system, cell phone, alarm system, etc., or the charging system, especially with internal voltage regulators, because the peak voltage can rise to 40 volts or more. In the 1970s, removing a battery terminal was an accepted practice to test charging systems of that era. That is not the case today. Static electricity and spikes from connecting and disconnecting batteries or test equipment could also damage sensitive electronic components."
Old 05-06-10, 07:04 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coolpop
What dealership did you go to? Lexus on Atlantic?
Orange Park. I also called back in and requested that they check and replace my windshield wiper on the right side as it doesn't do a clean sweep (warped in one spot). The paperwork at checkout showed the inspection of the windshield wipers as normal/ok....I had to call them out on that and say then that they never did an inspection and it is pretty obvious once you look at it for 2 sec. The guy went and replaced it and apoligized.

Quick Reply: Oil Change = new battery?