GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

awd front differntial

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 09:30 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default awd front differntial

would changing the front differential on an awd help in a wobble and idle vibration change ? i am just curious to know . any one knows ?
Old 05-05-10, 09:54 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have an AWD, nor have I ever been in one that's lowered. From what I've read, the vibration occurs even at idle, no? If so, replacing any differential would likely yield no improvement. Besides, what would you replace it with?
Old 05-05-10, 10:28 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

what ever they can replace it with from lexus. i was reading online how people change their awd so they can drift. so i was thinking cant we do something about it also?
Old 05-06-10, 04:27 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

i think its more to do with the cv joints then anything.
Old 05-06-10, 01:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have seen evo ,sti, and GTR drift cars that have been converted, Its not something cheap but is possible.

I am still wondering if the issue that the car is dropped or running the staggered sizes

Would you ever consider.....gulp...........errr.........20's?? I know you are probably thinking hell no, but 20's with no drop will look pretty solid ( although not as nice).

Its a damn tight rope brother, a damn tight rope. You have to balance reliability with looks. Your ride is a sexy GS but the vibration would drive me crazy. Ask your boy at the shop or call your service advisor to ask as well
Old 05-06-10, 01:44 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

^^ it has to do with lowering not the staggered wheels. ive had 22s and 20s but non-staggered and i still get the vibrations.
Old 05-06-10, 02:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If its the lowering then why does the spring company sell them as AWD springs. Sounds like they are taking the money and running. I am not sure if he went with the road magnet springs or the eibach.

Adam if you did the eibachs then you may want to switch to the road magnet springs ( I think thats the name of the company)
Old 05-06-10, 03:02 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

initially, i exchanged few emails with the road magnet. they couldn't figure out why some car have vibration and some not.. i ended up returning their springs. (very stand up people btw).. putting vibration aside, they are the only tested springs on AWD platform. i believe going back to stock is the only way to get rid of vibration.

i was so close to trade in mine for another vehicle, but for many obvious reasons i chose to live with it.
Old 05-06-10, 06:08 PM
gs350on22s
Lead Lap

i am on eibach pro. this vibration is really starting to get annoying. i am kinda of close of throwing my stock springs back on and i really don't want that look i ****in hate this awd system. starting to kinda make me hate the car lol
Old 05-06-10, 06:38 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350on22s
i am on eibach pro. this vibration is really starting to get annoying. i am kinda of close of throwing my stock springs back on and i really don't want that look i ****in hate this awd system. starting to kinda make me hate the car lol
You guys are such drama queens over the ride height. Might as well put huge wheels on a slammed civic and be happy. :P
Old 05-06-10, 06:50 PM
phatz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its lowering that causes the problem. good luck swapping it to a 2wd, need new ecu,driveshaft and new tranny. probably not a fun job to do. i have converted some trucks from 4wd to 2wd and just pulled the halfshafts and caped them and got a new 2wd ecu.

but i am sure this wont be easy as a chevy truck.
Old 05-06-10, 06:59 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried Road Magnet springs? I know a local that's selling his car and had them on. I rode in his car and the ride was fine to me. Another local member we installed the DF springs and that was fine also. If you want to try these springs PM me and I will get you both in touch.

Other option is try coils to see if that helps.
Old 05-06-10, 09:06 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Note to self: Never by an AWD 3GS!
Old 05-06-10, 09:51 PM
phatz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

listen road magnet springs wont work better then tein/tanabe or any other brand, dont fall for the hype. . there is NO magical solution to this. road magnet saying they have a spring "designed" for the awd is a load of crap. they just have either taller or shorter coils or different spring rates, the dam car vibrates at idle when in drive with foot on brake when its STOCK from the factory.

some cars have more vibrations then others. its just a toss up. I am dropped on s-techs and its not that bad. but again whats good to me might be horrible to some people, how do you measure vibration over the internet? you cant.

tolerance cant be measured from 1 person to the next.
Old 05-07-10, 04:23 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by phatz
listen road magnet springs wont work better then tein/tanabe or any other brand, dont fall for the hype. . there is NO magical solution to this. road magnet saying they have a spring "designed" for the awd is a load of crap. they just have either taller or shorter coils or different spring rates, the dam car vibrates at idle when in drive with foot on brake when its STOCK from the factory.

some cars have more vibrations then others. its just a toss up. I am dropped on s-techs and its not that bad. but again whats good to me might be horrible to some people, how do you measure vibration over the internet? you cant.

tolerance cant be measured from 1 person to the next.
exactly. theres no difference between the springs. people with the road magnet springs still have vibrations.

i have very limited vibrations and im able to just live with it. its not that bad on my car. although i do plan on dropping it some more this weekend so i'll see how it goes.

Quick Reply: awd front differntial