GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 12-16-14, 11:54 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake Squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 04:14 PM
Jasonx82
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Squeal?

I've been complaining to lexus of westminster the past few oil change intervals about major brake squeal (LOUD) "everytime" I reverse. They gone through "brake diagnostic" each time for 35.00 and come back and tell me that I have plenty of brake's left.

So Now I just cant live with it and decided to take the car back to Lexus of Westminster to have the rear pads changed, Its protocol i guess for them to perform brake inspection, now they call me and tell me I still have plenty of tread left 6mm on the rears, and changing the pads wont gurantee the squeal to go away? WTF they want me to do.

I dont mind paying to have them changed I just want the squeal to be gone..

Any suggestions

Thanx
Old 05-10-10, 05:39 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell them to clean your brakes or get new shims... I changed my brakes myself and the squeeling went away.. DIY
Old 05-10-10, 07:55 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get rid of OEM brake pads and get you're self some Akebono Ate Ceramic brake pads at tirerack.com and you can say good bye to SQUEALS for ever and brake dust.Also don't have them perform brake change cause they will charge you an arm and a leg.
Old 05-11-10, 08:59 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

I have the same problem, been reading horror stories and decided to screw the dealer all together. Bought my self some slotted and drilled rotors and am shopping for some good pads.
Old 05-11-10, 02:54 PM
GSh
Driver School Candidate

I had the same issues. Simply cleaning and lubricating the breaks did the trick - no need for expensive replacement if breaking power is okay.
Old 05-11-10, 03:37 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus will replace the squealing pads for free under the basic warranty, and they will install the excessive brake dust pads. Lexus will give you the option of brake squeal or excessive brake dust, so you will have to make that choice if you are sticking with Lexus parts. Also, as I found out, the excessive brake dust pads in very cold conditions will flake off hot pieces that land on chrome wheels and cause the chrome to bubble. I would recommend going aftermarket, if you have a few extra dollars, and getting something that isn't excessively dusty and doesn't squeal.
Old 05-11-10, 11:33 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

I too have to suffer the same issue almost every morning...

But here is some good news, my service advisor told me that Lexus is coming out with another TSIB to resolve the squealing brakes in the summer...

I will let you know once is here, b/c usually I am the lab rat for Sewell Lexus whenever there is Pre-TSIB!!!
Old 05-12-10, 12:20 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

it's your shims, change it. my brakes squeel soo bad i feel ashamed i'm driving a "60k" and have such noises coming from it

they also have a TSIB for it if ur car's still under factory warranty
Old 05-12-10, 12:37 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
it's your shims, change it. my brakes squeel soo bad i feel ashamed i'm driving a "60k" and have such noises coming from it
They have replaced my brake pads three times and at least five times on shims, yet it still squeal like a little bytch...

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
they also have a TSIB for it if ur car's still under factory warranty
My toy will be in for 30k service this weekend, hopefully they will have the "pre-TSIB for the squealing brakes kit."
Old 05-12-10, 12:47 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
Lexus will replace the squealing pads for free under the basic warranty, and they will install the excessive brake dust pads. Lexus will give you the option of brake squeal or excessive brake dust, so you will have to make that choice if you are sticking with Lexus parts. Also, as I found out, the excessive brake dust pads in very cold conditions will flake off hot pieces that land on chrome wheels and cause the chrome to bubble. I would recommend going aftermarket, if you have a few extra dollars, and getting something that isn't excessively dusty and doesn't squeal.
Yep ... I got the same options when I went in last summer. For me, the dust was the lesser of the two evils. A year later I still have dust, but no brake squeaks.