GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS almost wrecked, caused by dealership negligence, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 09:30 PM
3GSdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
But your wheel didn't fall off.
You can't expect the dealership to compensate you for something that MIGHT have happened had you not noticed the loose lugs, etc. But the bottom line is, there was no catastrophic accident or anything like that. You discovered their error, took the car back to them, and they fixed it at their expense. End of story.
Did you bother to read it?

I was going 75 and 3 out of the 5 lug nuts flew off
Old 05-19-10, 09:59 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand those of you defending the dealership. First of all they left his car damaged and undriveable. Then while they fixed it and offered a 62 dollar refund, they did not cover the cost he incurred in having the car towed twice (once to his home, and then to his dealership). Further to the cost of towing, they did not cover the cost of wasted time. Waiting for 2 trucks, plus waiting for them to fix the car the second time.

I don't know if some of you are on minimum wage, but if he is a senior executive or a high income professional, then his time is worth several hundred dollars an hour.

So the dealer owes a lot more than 62 dollars:
1) 2 tows
2) several hours of wasted time
3) possibly additional damages if the car parts damaged by the incident weren't replaced with new ones (like the burnt brakes)
Old 05-19-10, 10:23 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I don't understand those of you defending the dealership. First of all they left his car damaged and undriveable. Then while they fixed it and offered a 62 dollar refund, they did not cover the cost he incurred in having the car towed twice (once to his home, and then to his dealership). Further to the cost of towing, they did not cover the cost of wasted time. Waiting for 2 trucks, plus waiting for them to fix the car the second time.

I don't know if some of you are on minimum wage, but if he is a senior executive or a high income professional, then his time is worth several hundred dollars an hour.

So the dealer owes a lot more than 62 dollars:
1) 2 tows
2) several hours of wasted time
3) possibly additional damages if the car parts damaged by the incident weren't replaced with new ones (like the burnt brakes)
While I agree 100% with you that others are protecting the dealer, I think what his income is in his professional life is irrelevant. I also don't agree on being compensated for lost time, etc and even if he was, it shouldn't be based on his yearly income.

Now I think matters could have been handled differently and perhaps offering OP some free services for the future.

Also, not sure how burnt brakes come into play

Regardless, best of luck to the OP.
Old 05-19-10, 10:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TWong1200
While I agree 100% with you that others are protecting the dealer, I think what his income is in his professional life is irrelevant. I also don't agree on being compensated for lost time, etc and even if he was, it shouldn't be based on his yearly income.

Now I think matters could have been handled differently and perhaps offering OP some free services for the future.

I wasn't suggesting a specific value Tony. There was no number in my post. I am just saying time is valuable and a lot of his time was wasted and they ought to make up for that. Covering the service and the tows (which they aren't doing) wouldn't get him even. He would be financially even, but he would still have the wasted time.

When American Airlines has a flight delayed by 4 hours, I usually get an email from the Exec Platinum desk saying that while they recognize that my time is invaluable, they are crediting 15,000 miles to my account to partially make it up for me as a sign of goodwill and how much they value my business.

I am saying something like this is in order beyond covering the bad service, the repairs and the towing costs.
Old 05-19-10, 11:49 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP isn't a one time lexus customer either; (They've bought several vehicles from them as well) And plenty of referrals to longo as well
Old 05-20-10, 12:42 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP i understand what happend, i am happy no one was hurt. Lexus dealership need to step it up and take care of this customer. If a wheel was to fly off they would of been on a much higher DMG meter and injuries. So if anything they should realize this and offer him something that can possibly make it even in his mind.
Old 05-20-10, 01:22 AM
rjacket
Driver

Default Similar situation / negligence from a Ford dealer

I had a similar situation where gross negligence almost caused a disaster.

A Ford dealer recommended that I change out the fuel lines due to a Firestone tech incorrectly replacing the fuel filter on a couple of years ago. Firestone were actually very good in that they paid for the work for something they did wrong 2 years ago. On top of that the Ford dealer wanted $900 for the repair which was negotiated down to $600.

In any case, the fuel line had not leaked for 2 years even though technically not connected correctly. Even now, I am not sure whether both lines should have been replaced but since Firestone paid for it and worked with the dealer (remotely) to agree the work, then that's moot for me, albeit a case of the Ford dealer taking advantage.

In any case, 100 miles later, in a costco car park, I try to start the engine with the car full of family, and it doesn't start. I try again and the same. I get out of the car and can smell gasoline. I get everyone out of the car, and costco call out the police and fire service.

A tow tuck driver establishes that the fuel line was not connected properly by the same Ford dealer who warned us that the existing connection was unsafe (although for 2 years nothing had happened).

The tow truck driver checks the car over carefully and asks me what else did they do. I take the car home and then get thinking about "what else did they do?" "how can I trust them at all".

So we ask them to pay for an independent shop to check out the car. They argue but give in and send their shop foreman.

What do they discover? 1 that the fuel line closer to the engine was incorrectly routed and would have rubbed through on metal. 2 that they had broken the evap valve and the car would have failed a smog test.

Utter negligence and lucky for Ford that the fuel line didn't come loose and caused a serious fire on the freeway or at the airport which is where I had gone that day.

They have said they would fire the technician. I am about to send them a request for compensation for time and pain and suffering eg the panic for all family members.
Old 05-20-10, 01:43 AM
3GSdriver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TWong1200

The rear parking brake was adjusted improperly to a point where the rear caliper started to seize, everything was fixed though, and readjusted
Old 05-21-10, 01:48 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacket
I am about to send them a request for .... pain and suffering eg the panic for all family members.

And how much is that panic worth?
Old 05-21-10, 01:50 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by 3GSdriver
The rear parking brake was adjusted improperly to a point where the rear caliper started to seize, everything was fixed though, and readjusted
You never told us what would make you happy. Can you please finish the following sentence:

"I will be completely satisfied if Longo Lexus does the following: ...."
Old 05-21-10, 02:22 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arnieosp
You never told us what would make you happy. Can you please finish the following sentence:

"I will be completely satisfied if Longo Lexus does the following: ...."
Why are you being so aggressive?
Old 05-21-10, 02:31 PM
Sheehan1p
★ I

Honestly bro that is complete bs on what the dealer did to you, Lexus should be living up to there quote "Pursuit of perfection" which they clearly did not live up to those standards. On my behalf I think they should refund your money. GL!
Old 05-21-10, 04:38 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by batman75
Why are you being so aggressive?
I am not being agressive, and I am not defending the dealership. I understand the problem and a hear lot of anger. What I don't hear is proposition of a possible solution. This is why I want to know, what, it victim's opinion, dealership should do in order to fix the problem. And for some reason, despite the fact that we are on the third page of this discussion, he would not clearly state his expectations.

Sorry, I am not trying to pick a fight here. This is the way I operate, I state the problem, and then I propose a way of how the problem should be solved, especially if it involves customer service, or lack of.

Last edited by arnieosp; 05-21-10 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 04:43 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Originally Posted by Sheehan1p
...I think they should refund your money. GL!
See, just like that! Exept that they already offered it. If the victim thinks $62 is not enough, ask for some concrete ammount and articulate why you want that specific number.

There is nothing wrong with telling them what you expect, and if they think you are being unreasonable, ask them to explain why.
Old 05-21-10, 05:44 PM
rjacket
Driver

Originally Posted by arnieosp
And how much is that panic worth?
I don't know, I'm not a lawyer. But if you were in a similar situation with your mother and daughter afraid that there might be a fire and explosion any moment, I am sure you wouldn't be so glib.

Quick Reply: 3GS almost wrecked, caused by dealership negligence, thoughts?