GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Do you think your GS is a Lexus or a Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 02:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacket
Totally agree with you. However, as you argue on this thread, one thing to realize is that many of those arguing against you are the same customer segment that Lexus has successfully sold the concept that you can take a Camry, make it look better on the inside and outside and charge more for it as a Lexus ES and, that this is better than the previous ES which didn't look as good, but which was by far more solid and drove better.
I'm certainly not going to argue. I'll just repeat what I said.
Anyone who doesn't like Lexus should go elsewhere. Not get on this site and complain...it's counter productive.

Last edited by Ice350; 05-26-10 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 03:15 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'm certainly going to argue. I'll just repeat what I said.
Anyone who doesn't like Lexus should go elsewhere. Not get on this site and complain...it's counter productive.
Really? - So, this forum is for 'Happy Talk' only? Not sure what good that would do. - The only way things get fixed is to complain. If anyone in Lexus Management wants customer feedback, all they have to do is search the internet and this site will pop up. Telling Lexus that their cars are super and have no problems or complaints will not accomplish much.

If you can't tell that the 3GS is a step down quality wise from their 2GS, you aren't paying attention.

Hardly the 'Pursuit of Perfection'. They have competitors that have closed the gap and have taken the lead.
Old 05-26-10, 03:51 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Just sell your car already and move on. We all wish you the best with your new car.
Old 05-26-10, 06:42 PM
rjacket
Driver

Default So back to my original question

So back to my original question. See anything familiar? Toyota have had to up their interiors to compete just after they reduced their Lexus interiors to make more profit
Attached Thumbnails Do you think your GS is a Lexus or a Toyota?-int_image_5.jpg   Do you think your GS is a Lexus or a Toyota?-int_image_7.jpg   Do you think your GS is a Lexus or a Toyota?-int_image_9.jpg  
Old 05-26-10, 08:01 PM
LexFather

You do realize stylized company pics always make Interiors look better right. Have you been or driven the Venza and RX 350 let alone 450h? It's not close, the RX interior is fanastic and a clear leap above it. The current RX really feels substantially better in build than the previous model.

The venza has fake wood and no optional remote touch. It's a solid car but no Lexus.

I suggest driving them around and not relying on pics.

Old 05-26-10, 08:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You do realize stylized company pics always make Interiors look better right. Have you been or driven the Venza and RX 350 let alone 450h? It's not close, the RX interior is fanastic and a clear leap above it. The current RX really feels substantially better in build than the previous model.

The venza has fake wood and no optional remote touch. It's a solid car but no Lexus.

I am a Lexus fanatic just like you but I would agree that when you sit in a top of the range Venza or Avalon the interior materials on the latest models is awfully close to Lexus. When you look at the photo there is no night and day difference, and even in person you notice Lexus is better but not vastly better.

That is not a ding on Lexus. Our 3GS cars had significantly better interiors than the BMW and Mercedes counterparts back in 2005. However auto interiors get better with each generation, and I am sure that when we see the 4GS we will see much more differentiation vs the latest high end Toyotas.

The 4GS interior will be more like the LS interior which is vastly better than even the most expensive Toyota.
Old 05-26-10, 08:31 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Really? - So, this forum is for 'Happy Talk' only? Not sure what good that would do. - The only way things get fixed is to complain. If anyone in Lexus Management wants customer feedback, all they have to do is search the internet and this site will pop up. Telling Lexus that their cars are super and have no problems or complaints will not accomplish much.

If you can't tell that the 3GS is a step down quality wise from their 2GS, you aren't paying attention.

Hardly the 'Pursuit of Perfection'. They have competitors that have closed the gap and have taken the lead.
DAM YOU STILL HERE? What happend to the hyndai? Needs a tranny? or just a motor? Before you go on dising lexus 3gs look around at competitors and go on forums and read on they're complains. We are not even at 5% percent of problems that BMW n Merc have. So comparing to BMW and Mercedes we are no way a step down. And that is exactly what lexus is focused on.
Old 05-26-10, 08:38 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I hope you know lexus especially 3gs has fake wood or should i just call it shiny plastic wood wanna be. The only real wood in the car that hasn't been proven not real is the steering wheel. So yea i hope i didn't break you hearth because when i took it apart i was SHOCKED.
Old 05-26-10, 08:42 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

If you dont like this brand so much then why waste your time here? It is obvious that you wont find any support here whatsoever....

No one is saying that Lexus is a problem free car, every car has problems. Its just, other brands tend to have more.

Talking about gaps and taking leads. 3GS did not come out last year, it came out in 2005. That's five years ago. Of course there will be other, better cars by now.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 05-26-10 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-26-10, 08:45 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I hope you know lexus especially 3gs has fake wood or should i just call it shiny plastic wood wanna be. The only real wood in the car that hasn't been proven not real is the steering wheel. So yea i hope i didn't break you hearth because when i took it apart i was SHOCKED.
That's just patently wrong. Everyone knows the wood trim is made and polished by Yamaha's piano division, widely known to be among the best woodworkers in the industry. Also each car has wood from a single tree.

You are reacting to the fact that the wood is bonded to plastic for mounting purposes. Well I hate to break it to you, but BMW and Mercedes also bond their wood to plastic for mounting. In the old days the bonded it to metal or screwed it on directly, but this approach makes it easier to fit and remove, and save weight versus using metal.

Don't be foolish and spread mis information here.
Old 05-26-10, 08:48 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjacket
So back to my original question. See anything familiar? Toyota have had to up their interiors to compete just after they reduced their Lexus interiors to make more profit
No, I don't see anything familiar.

I don't know what you are reaching for, but that looks very different from my GS3, sorry. My mom's 2000 RX was luxurious at the time and top notch, but compared to my GS it is like a Tercel. The GS is five years old and you are comparing it to a brand new high-end Toyota. Of course the Toyota will have an increased level of refinement. That is what auto manufacturers do. The luxury segment's innovations become the next generations standard equipment. When the 4GS comes out it will once again set the standard. But if you think these pictures prove anything, then you are really reaching. Seriousy... reaching for anything...

Go buy a BMW or Mercedes already. I drove the new E-Class and it was just OK. The best looking Audi sedan is the A5 5-door which isn't even sold in the US. The A6 looks like garbage compared to the A5 5-door coupe. BTW, it is a blatant design philosophy copy of the 3GS.

The 4GS will set the new standard. Mark my words. For example the new LS came out with self-parallel parking, then the other manufactureres bit Lexus's style. Soon, even a Ford Focus will self-parallel park. That's just how it happens.
Old 05-26-10, 08:48 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

^^^ I hope its all wood, but some parts feel like plain plastic to me.....
Old 05-26-10, 08:49 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by batman75
Yeah somebody should ban him for spreading mis information on this forum which is intended to provide valuable information and facts to Lexus owners.
oh , heh I was referring to Cut-Throat's comment, no prob with GS350Lexus
Old 05-26-10, 08:56 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jre002
No, I don't see anything familiar.

I don't know what you are reaching for, but that looks very different from my GS3, sorry. My mom's 2000 RX was luxurious at the time and top notch, but compared to my GS it is like a Tercel. The GS is five years old and you are comparing it to a brand new high-end Toyota. Of course the Toyota will have an increased level of refinement. That is what auto manufacturers do. The luxury segment's innovations become the next generations standard equipment. When the 4GS comes out it will once again set the standard. But if you think these pictures prove anything, then you are really reaching. Seriousy... reaching for anything...

Go buy a BMW or Mercedes already. I drove the new E-Class and it was just OK. The best looking Audi sedan is the A5 5-door which isn't even sold in the US. The A6 looks like garbage compared to the A5 5-door coupe. BTW, it is a blatant design philosophy copy of the 3GS.

The 4GS will set the new standard. Mark my words. For example the new LS came out with self-parallel parking, then the other manufactureres bit Lexus's style. Soon, even a Ford Focus will self-parallel park. That's just how it happens.
I agree. When the GS460/LS460 8 speed transmission was launched in 2007, BMW derides Lexus for having too many gears and argues it doesn't make sense. In 2010 they finally launch their own 8speed auto in the 5 and 7 series cars.

Took them 3 years to catch up with superior Lexus engineering. For those who haven't driven it, the Lexus 460 power train is sublime. It caused me, a lifelong BMW driver to switch allegiances, because I was blown away by how good it is. So silky smooth, so quiet, and you get a commanding feeling doing 125mph at 2500rpm.

If the GS460 is an example of a less successful Lexus, I can't imagine what kind of innovation and performance we will see when they fight back with the 4GS.
Old 05-26-10, 10:13 PM
rjacket
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
That's just patently wrong. Everyone knows the wood trim is made and polished by Yamaha's piano division, widely known to be among the best woodworkers in the industry. Also each car has wood from a single tree.

You are reacting to the fact that the wood is bonded to plastic for mounting purposes. Well I hate to break it to you, but BMW and Mercedes also bond their wood to plastic for mounting. In the old days the bonded it to metal or screwed it on directly, but this approach makes it easier to fit and remove, and save weight versus using metal.

Don't be foolish and spread mis information here.
Up until and including the 3GS 2007 year model, the wood on the door armrest was fake. In 2008 it became real.

Quick Reply: Do you think your GS is a Lexus or a Toyota?