GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just had 60K service done

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 07:22 AM
oilnewby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had 60K service done

Hello all,

There are a lot of threads out there inquiring about cost of services especially for the 30/60K from the dealer.

I just had the 60k done by my local lexus dealer yesterday. I had everything done that is stated in the manual except for the engine air filter and cabin filter as though are very easy to access and do.

All said and done it cost me $830, tax included.

I will say that with the plugs being replaced the car now idles like it did the day I drove it off the lot . The next big one is the 90k service which includes a timing belt replacement .

I hope this helps those that are coming up on the 60k service.
Old 05-22-10, 09:31 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You must have an 06 GS300. The plugs in the 350 are 100k plugs and man..$830. Glad i do my work myself.
Old 05-22-10, 12:05 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced sparks at 60k? 800 for that is a grip.
Old 05-22-10, 12:21 PM
oilnewby
Driver School Candidate

It is definitely not cheap.

But it did also include oil change, flushing of brake fluid, collant flush, tire rotation and then the typical inspections.
Old 05-22-10, 01:00 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Plugs are exactly the same part number for 300 and 350.

They seem to recommend replacement differently depending on region. In Canada, it's recommended they get replaced at 96,000 km (60K miles) too.

It's a lot cheaper to get the maintenance items done at toyota, with parts you bought yourself online, and skip all of the silly "check this and that" items completely.
Old 05-22-10, 01:35 PM
LexFather

That price is very reasonable to me, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-22-10, 02:19 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oilnewby
It is definitely not cheap.

But it did also include oil change, flushing of brake fluid, collant flush, tire rotation and then the typical inspections.
For my 07 GS350, the Coolant flush is at 120K....
Old 05-22-10, 04:19 PM
rjacket
Driver

Default Interesting

My 07 GS says 60k for spark plugs but this is to comply with emissions control warranty.

I think $800 is a bit much for the work. You were smart to change the cabin air filter and engine air filter yourself which makes me even more surprised at the price.

Where I am (SF bay area so not the cheapest), these are the prices that I have seen for the individual items both from a dealer and from the independent garage that I now use. All dealers round here have specials and say they match each others prices, so you can go to your closest dealer.

Oil change. My dealer has a coupon for $50. My independent garage's regular price is $40 coming down to $30 when I supply my own oil. He puts in the OEM Toyota filter and does a complimentary inspection and tops up the fluids.

Tire rotation. My dealer does this for $20. He also has an oil change, tire rotation and complimentary inspection special for $75. I had my tires changed at a fantastic local america's tire so have free rotations for life

Brake fluid. I was quoted $100 by my local garage.

No idea what the coolant and spark plugs should cost, but without this, I would pay between $150 to $200 for the remaining work.

If you're inclined to walk into a dealer and ask for the full 60k service, then take a look at one that offers the full 60k service including items you did yourself plus some items that they're potentially doing in addition for pretty much the price you paid.

http://www.coliseumlexusofoakland.com/CustomerSupport

Extras they do:

Replace air conditioner filter
Replace engine air filter
Replace rear differential oil
Replace transmision fluid
And maybe a few other things also

So yes, I would say you paid $200 - $400 too much

Last edited by rjacket; 05-22-10 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 04:45 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Price seems reasonable, an extra 200-300 to replace spark plugs is normal, especially if the intake manifold is sitting on 3 cylinders

I'll always pay a professional to do the job right, and insure it, hence dealership
Old 05-22-10, 07:29 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

As an aside, we're getting a new RX350 this week to replace my wife's 10 year old Infiniti G20 - never a problem, and with 103k miles, (and to beat the 1% sales tax going into effect here June 1st). Among other tidbits of information is that the new car now will go 10k between oil changes, due primarily to switching to synthetic oil, although it will still require 5000 mile service intervals, I assume to check the windshield washer fluid level, among other easy DIY items. I asked my service advisor if my '07 GS350 could also go the same interval using synthetic, and he replied in the affirmative.
Old 05-22-10, 07:40 PM
oilnewby
Driver School Candidate

I have wrenched on cars for many years and know the plugs are definitely a job that can be done in your home garage if time permits. Brake fluid and collant not so much.

I have 2 little kids which is why I don't have time to spend hours working on a car.

I could have saved money by taking it to one shop to get the brake fluid done, another to get the coolant flushed and so on. Again it is a time issue.

I would rather just spend a little more at a dealer that has always done great work for me, provides me with a loaner car for the day, and will not question and warranty work in the future if I was unable to prove I maintained the car.

I commend those who continue to maintain there own cars; I just don't have the time anymore.
Old 05-22-10, 07:46 PM
oilnewby
Driver School Candidate

rjacket: unfortunately there is only 1 dealer here in southern Nevada and 1 independent shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus which limits my options for maintaining the car.

I used to go to the independent but was not overly impressed as I am not a big fan of the oil they use and they always try and upsell me on everything. The last thing they wanted me to do was remove the carbon buildup from the intake at 30k miles.

After I said no; he put the intake elbow back on and forgot to plug back in a sensor and I had to go back later in the week (which is on the other side of town) as I had an engine code. I know this could happen to anyone but I feel like they are trying to find addition service expenses to offset their lower prices.
Old 05-22-10, 07:57 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its less if you DIY...

but when you take it to the dealer you have to pay for the services and peace of mind. If you make a costly mistake your out the $$ and time. you have to decide what is more important.
Old 05-22-10, 08:03 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ughhh hate car maintenance,,,
Old 05-23-10, 06:11 AM
KITT
Driver School Candidate

I live in NW suburbs of Chicago. Shopped between Woodfield and Arlington Lexus; got the 60k work done for about $700. They did not rotate tires (saved about $38). Used coupon for $75 off, available at Woodfield Lexus website, which Arl Lex honors. Work included spark plug replacement. When you call them, the off-the-rack prices are substantially higher (1089 and 954 at Arl and Wood, respectively). Looks like dealers are eager for work, so shop it around.

Quick Reply: Just had 60K service done