GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS460 or GS450h?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 01:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i can't exactly tell which one is better, but a few things will tell how you can decide

- trunk space an issue?
- are you ok with the cvt feeling on the hybrid?
- is gas mileage a concern for you?

those will be the 3 factors imho. oh and to me, it also depends on which car has apsss
Old 05-27-10, 02:25 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote goes to the 450H. You give up some trunk room, but nothing in performance.

There is no question that gas powered engines will one day become less common than hybrids are today. I believe that our kids or our kid's kids will be driving mostly hybrids or pure electric vehicles. There are just too many environmental, political and national security risks associated with oil dependency.
Old 05-27-10, 02:36 PM
Seven07
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a coupe more things to consider. Which one will hold it's value better? Or are they the same? Let's say like a 7 year old hybrid with one year left on the warranty. How much gas must you save before you can recover the initial cost and start benefiting? If none of these matter to you then it really doesn't really matter which one you pick because it seems like you're not losing anything (except for trunk space) by picking either one.
Old 05-27-10, 02:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

in terms of value, i can tell you that prices of the 450h hybrid drops very very fast
Old 05-27-10, 04:22 PM
jackyche
Driver School Candidate

2008 GS450h and GS460 are very similar in price. Which makes sense since their original MSRP is very similar.

I'll get whichever car that drives vastly superior and from the sound of things, neither one can make claim to that. So ... with the fuel efficiency advantage, I'll probably just go with a hybrid.

GS350 is out for me. I need something with more 'kick' and the V6 isn't it. Originally, it was between a 08 GS450h or a 09 Jag XF (which is really an 08).
Old 05-27-10, 04:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jackyche
2008 GS450h and GS460 are very similar in price. Which makes sense since their original MSRP is very similar.

I'll get whichever car that drives vastly superior and from the sound of things, neither one can make claim to that. So ... with the fuel efficiency advantage, I'll probably just go with a hybrid.

GS350 is out for me. I need something with more 'kick' and the V6 isn't it. Originally, it was between a 08 GS450h or a 09 Jag XF (which is really an 08).
and i can tell you that i tangled with a jag XF, and he couldn't lose me (i stuck to his tail pipe like a kid in a candystore). GS450h instant torque FTW!

see this link with my experience: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sto...ercharged.html

Last edited by Stormforge; 05-27-10 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 05:33 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, in regards to long term (resale) value, I don't think hybrids have an advantage. Hybrid technology changes often and those who seek out a hybrid want the latest technology. But as for a combustion engine,...
Old 05-27-10, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Before I continue to post let me say that its awesome Lexus offers such a stellar V-6, V-6 hybrid and V-8.

Originally Posted by rominl
in terms of value, i can tell you that prices of the 450h hybrid drops very very fast
I disagree. I can pretty much sell my 450h for the same price this year as last year. Values are good with this model. Also with the growing interest in hybrids and its technology I believe they will stay strong.

Now the thing is the 460 sold in just as small quantities I assume and I can't honestly give a picture of its resale value.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
and i can tell you that i tangled with a jag XF, and he couldn't lose me (i stuck to his tail pipe like a kid in a candystore). GS450h instant torque FTW!

see this link with my experience: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sto...ercharged.html
Nice. I've also smoked a couple of them, I just don't really post my racing stories anymore.
Old 05-27-10, 07:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

i can only tell about socal region. i have checked with some dealerships and prices of gs350/450h sold at auctions, etc... all seems that the price of hybrid is dropping faster than the gasoline engine version.
Old 05-27-10, 07:36 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Nice. I've also smoked a couple of them, I just don't really post my racing stories anymore.
come on, you gotta share! interested folks wanna know!
Old 05-27-10, 07:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I smoked an SL63 AMG and a Cobra this week but I suspect these things have more to do with the will of the driver than the performance of the car.
Old 05-27-10, 10:44 PM
jackyche
Driver School Candidate

I have a 06 sl500 and I can tell you that car is crazy fun to drive. It's a heavy car with all that hardtop gizmo so it's not exactly fast, but the tight cornering and minimal roll....ahhhh.

But that's a fun car, this is for family grunt work. I don't mind the trunk space as I have a suv for that sort of thing.

I like the jag xf for it's styling and unique factor. Let's face it, these gs's are running around everywhere. Regardless, I think I'll go with the hybrid. Gotta save the environment right? But I'm a global warming scam guy so there goes that.

Thanks guys/gals.
Old 05-27-10, 10:56 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
by getting the GS450h, you are getting the future now.
I prefer to get the future when it's the present, that way I pay significantly less for significantly better products. :P

Early adoption is good for thrills but rarely is the smart choice.

I really think we're getting close to hybrid being a clear choice but we're not quite there yet. I thought direct injection was a clear win when they started coming out but now look at me and my gummed up engine.
Old 05-27-10, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by batman75
I smoked an SL63 AMG and a Cobra this week but I suspect these things have more to do with the will of the driver than the performance of the car.
all i can say is that has to be a driver race. not taking credit away, a win is a win

but car to car, the sl63 (or any amg for that matter) will run circles around the 3gs.
Old 05-28-10, 07:07 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
all i can say is that has to be a driver race. not taking credit away, a win is a win

but car to car, the sl63 (or any amg for that matter) will run circles around the 3gs.
That's precisely my point. When you have a car which can do 0-120 in 13 seconds, smoking someone is less about who has more power and more a test of who is willing to go faster. Most driver back off at 90mph.

Quick Reply: GS460 or GS450h?