GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

To Dealer Oil Change or not to Dealer Oil Change...is the questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 10:26 AM
2001LexusIS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take it to the dealership, but i always make sure i have a lexus on reserve as a loaner so i get my money's worth sorta.
Old 07-01-10, 10:26 AM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out something very interesting today when taking my GS into a Toyota dealership to get an oil change and tire rotation (mind you there is a Lexus dealership no more than 2 miles down the road). When stepping out of the car, the service rep asks what I needed done and I told him and he asked me if I have a service agreement with them. I said "no" and he said, "Well, we can't perform any maintenance on your car. You have to take it to the Lexus dealership down the road". I was quite taken aback and said, "What's the reasoning behind that? I took my car up to another Toyota dealership closer to where we live (I'm a sales rep so I travel all over the Chicago suburbs and it's convenient to fit in my day if I just go where business takes me that day), and they had no problems performing an oil-change/tire rotation" (there is not another Lexus dealership for about 20-25 miles). He said something about the proximity of the Lexus dealership and that the only way I would be able to get Toyota to perform the service is if I went to Lexus first and they referred me to them (which would NEVER happen). I said, "Well that's a real shame for you guys because I'm sure that you're missing out on a lot of business". He stated back, "We hardly ever get any Lexus's in here". I quickly responded, "Well, why do you think that is? If Lexus owners know what you just told me, they would be wasting their time coming to you first".

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this situation.
Old 07-01-10, 11:27 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by manyvices
I found out something very interesting today when taking my GS into a Toyota dealership to get an oil change and tire rotation (mind you there is a Lexus dealership no more than 2 miles down the road). When stepping out of the car, the service rep asks what I needed done and I told him and he asked me if I have a service agreement with them. I said "no" and he said, "Well, we can't perform any maintenance on your car. You have to take it to the Lexus dealership down the road". I was quite taken aback and said, "What's the reasoning behind that? I took my car up to another Toyota dealership closer to where we live (I'm a sales rep so I travel all over the Chicago suburbs and it's convenient to fit in my day if I just go where business takes me that day), and they had no problems performing an oil-change/tire rotation" (there is not another Lexus dealership for about 20-25 miles). He said something about the proximity of the Lexus dealership and that the only way I would be able to get Toyota to perform the service is if I went to Lexus first and they referred me to them (which would NEVER happen). I said, "Well that's a real shame for you guys because I'm sure that you're missing out on a lot of business". He stated back, "We hardly ever get any Lexus's in here". I quickly responded, "Well, why do you think that is? If Lexus owners know what you just told me, they would be wasting their time coming to you first".

That is really odd. I think the rep was being a hater. I have a few friends that work as mechanics at Honda dealerships and they do work general maintenance on all sorts of cars other than Honda. From what I understand, dealerships are independently owned. Therefore, the owners can establish their own rules. It is possible that the owner of the Toyota dealer is buddies or affiliated with the Lexus dealership in your area. They could have made an agreement to send the cars to each others dealership because they know they can get more money for the brand they are servicing.
Old 07-01-10, 04:45 PM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, that does make sense. It's not like these dealers have a name associated with them like "Smith Lexus". They're both "Lexus of Naperville" and "Toyota of Naperville" so this could very well be true.
Old 07-02-10, 08:22 AM
Shark7373
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kcook700
That is really odd. I think the rep was being a hater. I have a few friends that work as mechanics at Honda dealerships and they do work general maintenance on all sorts of cars other than Honda. From what I understand, dealerships are independently owned. Therefore, the owners can establish their own rules. It is possible that the owner of the Toyota dealer is buddies or affiliated with the Lexus dealership in your area. They could have made an agreement to send the cars to each others dealership because they know they can get more money for the brand they are servicing.
Yeah, that does make sense. It's not like these dealers have a name associated with them like "Smith Lexus". They're both "Lexus of Naperville" and "Toyota of Naperville" so this could very well be true.
Both dealerships are owned by the Wolf Automotive Group. Therefore, they want Lexus serviced at Lexus and Toyota serviced at Toyota.
Old 07-02-10, 09:03 AM
LexFather

Well as an FYI I change all my own oil in my Lexus vehicles.....buying Castrol Syntec, and filter can run about $35-40 dollars. Of course if you run conventional oil or maybe Mobil 1 synthetic it can be cheaper. I ran Royal Purple and it cost $50 for just about everything.

Thats just oil, no labor (as in paying yourself). I believe Lexus dealer rates are around $115-$125 an hour now.......

You can of course rotate tires yourself but that is a hassle for many.

It also depends on will you keep your car. If you will sell it or trade it in, having it dealer serviced is a SELLING POINT to people.
Old 07-02-10, 12:37 PM
iron_lungs
Driver

Firestone!!!
Old 07-02-10, 07:16 PM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

So I just got the oil change/tire rotation performed today at the Toyota dealership up near our house....had a special going on for $44.95 for this plus they check the brakes, tires, etc. Last time I had the same service performed at a Lexus dealership...over $85.
Old 07-02-10, 07:21 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

its like all things in life u pay more for the brand name than the actual product, I myself do my own oil changes
Old 07-03-10, 11:50 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

It is all depends on which Lexus dealership you visit, in DF/W area we only have two choices: Sewell or Park Place.

At Sewell, it cost about $50 plus tax for an oil change, in return you will receive "customer for life service" and a free loaner!!!
They allow me to bring my own Mobil 1, only charge me $30 for the labor, parts, and still get a FREE LOANER !!!

At Park Place, it cost about $135 plus tax for an oil change, in return you will have a "fancy waiting area" with fancy drinks and fancy snacks that is it... b/c they don't give out loaner without an appointment or oil change!?!

Last month I have finally convinced my cousins to convert from Park Place to Sewell; they have owned LS and RX for over 3 years, and that was their vary first time to drive a loaner...
Old 07-04-10, 08:16 AM
Coolpop
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just do it myself. I actually like doing it, plus this way, I use the oil I like and I know it's done correctly.