GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

iPhone4 and 2006 GS with ML

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-10, 05:33 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone4 and 2006 GS with ML

So I just got my iPhone 4 yesterday, and now I need to figure out how to integrate it with my GS so I can play itunes playlists through the the steering wheel controls.

No Aux jack, as you all know, and I'm not so big on the cassette player adapter. Does anyone know the best way to integrate? I actually would love to play my Pandora stations in addition to iTunes playlists. Can I do this with Bluetooth? Or should I do the iPod adapter kit thing?

thanks all, great forum here.
Old 06-26-10, 05:39 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would check with our vendor Viastech. Not sure if what they sell is compatible with your phone but I would think it should work. The other option would be the Lexus iPod integration kit (also assuming it works with your phone). I think you may just have to test them out unless someone beat you to it.
Old 06-26-10, 05:42 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by passnu2
I would check with our vendor Viastech. Not sure if what they sell is compatible with your phone but I would think it should work. The other option would be the Lexus iPod integration kit (also assuming it works with your phone). I think you may just have to test them out unless someone beat you to it.
yeah thanks. I'm on the cutting edge here, I'm hoping that the iPhone4 will be the same deal as the older iPod/iPhone devices.
Old 06-26-10, 07:23 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using iPhone 4 since Wednesday (my pre order arrived early). It works perfectly with both the factory Bluetooth And with my Vaistech Sl2i-up iPod integration adaptor.

If you want a full digital connection for better sound quality then buy the Vaistech VML kit. If you want digital and Bluetooth stereo then wait a month and get the Dice Mediabridge with Bluetooth.

Last edited by *Batman*; 06-26-10 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 09:57 AM
ESU1909
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The Caped Crusader Strikes Again"
Old 06-27-10, 06:40 PM
ASILVER
Driver

why do you need the bluetooth stereo when you can already stream the audio out of the phone...would it be so you can have the phone not physically connected?

I have a droid which I've been trying to figure out what's the best way to hook it up, I realize I won't get any steering wheel controls but the media bridge option looks great.
Old 06-27-10, 07:23 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ASILVER
why do you need the bluetooth stereo when you can already stream the audio out of the phone...would it be so you can have the phone not physically connected?

I have a droid which I've been trying to figure out what's the best way to hook it up, I realize I won't get any steering wheel controls but the media bridge option looks great.
Yes the benefit is ability to stream wirelessly.

My one regret with the Vaistech SL2i-UP is that the connection to the head unit is analog. The sound quality is very disappointing for any music other than classical or converted vinyl records. Modern music just sounds sub par.

In retrospect I should have got the Vaistech Multimedialink (VML) for a digital connection, the difference is striking. However I think with the Bluetooth the Dice product is probably the better all digital product right now particularly since the Vais is so expensive and doesn't have video or Bluetooth. I'm going to switch as soon as it is off backorder.
Old 06-27-10, 07:26 PM
ASILVER
Driver

makes sense...brings up new question, does it interfere with the hands free that's already built into the car, for example, do you think you can connect bt to the dice unit for streaming audio plus bt to the car for handsfree, or would you connect bt to the dice and lose the car's bluetooth product?
Old 06-27-10, 07:31 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Only way to tell for sure is when someone tries it out.

But my guess is it will be okay. I watch movies on my iPad on the plane using Bluetooth stereo headphones, and often there is someone else sitting next to me doing the same thing. In fact the first class cabin usually has a few people on Bluetooth stereo connections with laptops, ipads and ipods, etc. but I haven't had any interference issues yet. And that is also a pretty closed space.
Old 06-28-10, 11:39 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Smile Bluetooth over A2DP with DICE

Originally Posted by gsexy300
So I just got my iPhone 4 yesterday, and now I need to figure out how to integrate it with my GS so I can play itunes playlists through the the steering wheel controls.

No Aux jack, as you all know, and I'm not so big on the cassette player adapter. Does anyone know the best way to integrate? I actually would love to play my Pandora stations in addition to iTunes playlists. Can I do this with Bluetooth? Or should I do the iPod adapter kit thing?

I too got me-self an iPhone 4.0 and pretty much got down to the best Music/Audio device for me.

I've done some extensive research on this topic and I can say that both VAIS, DICE and Scosche are products that can get you there. Question is at what price and quality.

VAIS is mainly used with wired connection and has great products, has great wired audio digital quality and ports the songs/playlist into the NAV screen with a limitation of ~999 songs. I would say how they differ from three companies I mentioned is it plays Video on Nav screen.

Dice however doesn't do video, but does Bluetooth audio (A2DP) as well as digital high quality USB - (iPod, flash, HD) It also has additional AUX input and Satellite Sirrus input. It too ports songs/playlist into the NAV screen. Model MB1500-Toyota (that has Bluetooth option) comes out in few days from the manufacturer and now is in pre-order state.

Scosche is ok, has an ok wired connection and not so ok A2DP bluetooth connection, as it caries over a lot of distortion and could be solved by using their BT iPhone dongle which uses it's own BT transmitter. Unfortunately you can't charge the phone while playing A2DP at the same time.

I'm currently in testing phase of all three of these products on my 2007 Lexus GS450h.

Ping me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Serggus; 06-29-10 at 10:12 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 06-29-10, 07:14 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Serggus
VAIS is mainly used with wired connection and is a great product, has great wired audio digital quality and ports the songs/playlist into the NAV screen with a limitation of ~999 songs. I would say how they differ from three companies I mentioned is it plays Video on Nav screen.
This is not true. The Vaistech VML does not play video. The VML offers high quality digital audio. The Vais SL2Vi offers video but is not digital. There is no digital audio solution from Vaistech which also offers video
Old 06-29-10, 10:10 AM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by batman75
This is not true. The Vaistech VML does not play video. The VML offers high quality digital audio. The Vais SL2Vi offers video but is not digital. There is no digital audio solution from Vaistech which also offers video
Ehh, didn't know you're going to nitpick the post... I guess I should have been more specific.

I'm speaking about VAIS as a company and their ability to provide certain feature-set, not refering to individual products. They only have 3 dozens to select from.

And yes you are acurate, they don't have the digital product outputing video. The product that outputs video, also does audio but not digital.

Therefore I think it's safe to conclude that DICE will provide you Digital Audio, A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth), Satellite, Aux, - no video.
Old 06-29-10, 04:43 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by gsexy300

All of that is posible, and in multiple different ways, more in details on this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tly-to-ml.html

Cheers!!