GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Black Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 09:27 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
do you shift at near red line. The motor will dump a lot of fuel at high rpm
Shift? CVT....no shifting to be done.
Old 07-03-10, 03:09 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

That's weird... I have my toy for almost 4 years, mine is not half that dirty and black...

Bring it in have them check it out...
Old 07-03-10, 06:19 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would also ask how often you drive the car? Is the gas sitting for a long period of time? Do you always fill up with the same brand of gas?
Old 07-03-10, 06:35 PM
Mike450h
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
I would also ask how often you drive the car? Is the gas sitting for a long period of time? Do you always fill up with the same brand of gas?
On average I would say I go threw about a tank of gas a week or so, The car has never sat more than about 4 days without being drove. I use Shell, Union 76, and occasionally Chevron, always a minimum of 92 octane.
Old 07-10-10, 10:53 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Took a trip to the dealer yesterday, They checked the fuel system and told me everything was within normal perimeters, I told them that can't be!! how is that a new motor pumps out so much black carbon in such a short period of time (a few days)? He says that most likely because I have after market exhaust....??? I looked at him as I scratched my head thinking this guy is a dumb A** and asked...would you say the same thing if the exhaust where F-sport? he actually said NO!! at this point I was ready to club the guy like a baby seal.

Looks like I will be playing dealer games for a while before they address the carbon problem.
Old 07-11-10, 03:55 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

^Let the games begin....

Too bad, Lexus is still in denial mode that their DI engines do have carbonization issue...let's see how proactive they get on this developing issue on ALL their DI engines....clock is ticking Lexus

Mike,

I suggest that you try going to a different dealer for diagnosis later, clearly this Lexus "tech" that is blaming the exhaust as the potential cause for carbonization is dreaming...AND F-Sport exhaust won't cause the buidup

To say that Air, Fuel ratio is normal, AND is still causing significant tailpipe carbon--there is definitely something not right.

Last edited by spine911; 07-11-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 04:48 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why am I get the impression that denial is the Lexus modus operandi?

They deny the carbon build-up.

They denied the spring issue for a long time.

They denied that I had a knocking noise on my F-Sport sways and customer service won't even call me back regarding the complaint.

I went in to ask them to put a new pedal in our ES350 because I didn't like the hack job they did on the old pedal (which BTW I asked them to leave alone) and they tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with it.

I've got to say - Lexus is reminding me a lot of GM in the 80s. The company really has a major problem with employees and dealers who are conditioned to deny and tell the customer that the customer is wrong.

Some say they will bounce from their problems and be better than ever. I think that something is rotten in the house of Lexus, and without some wholesale cleanup of frontline employees and management, nothing will change. This requires cultural change and that doesn't come about quickly.
Old 07-11-10, 06:55 PM
Mike450h
Driver

Angry

Originally Posted by batman75
Why am I get the impression that denial is the Lexus modus operandi?

They deny the carbon build-up.

They denied the spring issue for a long time.

They denied that I had a knocking noise on my F-Sport sways and customer service won't even call me back regarding the complaint.

I went in to ask them to put a new pedal in our ES350 because I didn't like the hack job they did on the old pedal (which BTW I asked them to leave alone) and they tried to tell me there was nothing wrong with it.

I've got to say - Lexus is reminding me a lot of GM in the 80s. The company really has a major problem with employees and dealers who are conditioned to deny and tell the customer that the customer is wrong.

Some say they will bounce from their problems and be better than ever. I think that something is rotten in the house of Lexus, and without some wholesale cleanup of frontline employees and management, nothing will change. This requires cultural change and that doesn't come about quickly.
I would agree. What angers me the most is that they treat me like I'm an idiot, that I should just agree and walk away. Pay 45K for a car and just except that the car is going to pump out excessive levels of carbon. I even told the guy that the level of carbon coming out of the exhaust will eventually stain the rear bumper, the A**wipe looked at me and agreed? I have to wonder if they teach these people to do nothing but deny to avoid addressing the issue.

Very disappointing way to handle a loyal customer. I will get MID-EVEL before I let this go!!
Old 07-11-10, 07:43 PM
chauss
Driver

put in some fuel system cleaner next time you fill up (2 cans) Gumout or Lucas works best-
if your tips look like that,,,,you can imagine how your valves look!
Old 07-11-10, 11:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

question i want to know is: what is the right amount of soot (or carbon) that should be found on the inside exhaust tips? and that should be after how many days/weeks/months of driving?

mike450h, i took a quick peek at my tips this weekend, and i'm going to have to agree with you that my inside tips look just as black as yours. however this is after several months of driving; i really haven't paid a lot of attention to my tips the last couple of months due to being really busy, so it's possible it got black that way after a few days or perhaps after a couple of months (i dunno).
Old 07-12-10, 02:28 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

With Direct Fuel Injection cars ( as opposed to earlier Electronic Fuel Injection models ), you have to be careful about the type of fuel you are using!

Check with your local fuel suppliers about exactly what type of fuel you are using. Find out if the fuel you have been using has sulfur in it. If it does, BINGO, there's your problem.

Find a gas station that supplies premium 93 Octane, sulfur free unleaded fuel.
Old 07-12-10, 09:50 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
question i want to know is: what is the right amount of soot (or carbon) that should be found on the inside exhaust tips? and that should be after how many days/weeks/months of driving?

mike450h, i took a quick peek at my tips this weekend, and i'm going to have to agree with you that my inside tips look just as black as yours. however this is after several months of driving; i really haven't paid a lot of attention to my tips the last couple of months due to being really busy, so it's possible it got black that way after a few days or perhaps after a couple of months (i dunno).

For my car it will be completely Back and I mean the entire exhaust tip, and its thick black carbon...within about a 4 days if I drive the car every day. I am not sure what would be considered normal if in fact this is something that every GS is having an issue with. I am under the impression that this is only happening with V6 motors, and not all are acting this way? What I do know is it cannot be normal for a new motor to do this.
Old 07-12-10, 09:54 AM
Mike450h
Driver

Originally Posted by designo
With Direct Fuel Injection cars ( as opposed to earlier Electronic Fuel Injection models ), you have to be careful about the type of fuel you are using!

Check with your local fuel suppliers about exactly what type of fuel you are using. Find out if the fuel you have been using has sulfur in it. If it does, BINGO, there's your problem.

Find a gas station that supplies premium 93 Octane, sulfur free unleaded fuel.
I will look into this. If this is a potential fix its worth a try. I tend to mix it up a bit when it comes to fuel, I always run 92 or higher octane, Shell, Chevron......anybody here in the states have any suggestions on flavours?
Old 07-12-10, 11:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am not trying to say if this is normal or not, but here's a list of cars i have owned in recent years

1998 gs400
2005 sc430
2007 ls460l
2008 gs350
2008 m3

at least from what i can see, all these cars put out exhaust similarly. all the exhaust tips get dark after maybe 1 week of driving. this is regardless of how i drive the car or what gas i use (always premium of course).

Last edited by rominl; 07-12-10 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-12-10, 01:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^ well that makes me a feel a bit more relieved, knowing that rominl has the same experience. btw you mean to say 'always' premium, not almost? there is a difference in meaning!

Quick Reply: Black Exhaust?