GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Which connection would you prefer Integrating your iPhone/iPod to your car stereo?
Wired Digital
50.00%
Wired RCA
16.67%
A2DP (Bluetooth)
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

iPhone 4/3GS/iPod Touch - streaming over A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth) directly to ML

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 02:16 AM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by rominl
yup that's correct. as long as the iphone/itouch is jailbroken.
Thank you for clearing this up.
Yes, I'm very familiar with jailbraking the iPhones, jailbraking processes and have extensively tested jailbroken iPhones. Even though I've done these modifications for friends and family per their request, I like my device stable.

Simply put, jailbraking opens up a new can of worms, alot of unpredictability and testing, some people like that, I did too for 4+ years, - over it by now.

Even though it works, I wouldn't necessary consider unsupported features (requiring jailbroken iPhone) as part of the "out of the box" tested and fully supported device. Maybe that's just me, but I can't recommend that to people that expect finished stable product.

Cheers!!
Old 07-01-10, 04:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Serggus
MB1500 doesn't stream video, but it does have A/V out on a Dice cradle (accessory) you can purchase, and port that to whatever.

VAIS streams video, but only from iTunes, which is kind of lame, as I would want to have the versatility of watching hulu, TV, youtube or iTunes...

Yea, no real good solution for video streaming....
hmm.. it seems that the av out that dice offers only works for 5th and 6th gen ipods though

i would love to use vais system but they dont offer anything with video for an 06 with ml
Old 07-01-10, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes, I'm very familiar with jailbraking the iPhones, jailbraking processes and have extensively tested jailbroken iPhones. Even though I've done these modifications for friends and family per their request, I like my device stable.

Simply put, jailbraking opens up a new can of worms, alot of unpredictability and testing, some people like that, I did too for 4+ years, - over it by now.

Even though it works, I wouldn't necessary consider unsupported features (requiring jailbroken iPhone) as part of the "out of the box" tested and fully supported device. Maybe that's just me, but I can't recommend that to people that expect finished stable product.

Cheers!!
yes i agree, it's definitely not "factory" form, that's why vaistech doesn't list it
Old 07-02-10, 11:11 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers!!
My device is actually quite stable jailbroken. It's only until you load up many background processes, themes, third party-UIs and other memory resident/hogging process that things start becoming unstable.
Old 07-02-10, 12:14 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K here goes a question, what's the best quality,easy installation, easiest functions for Ipod and Iphone. No ML.
Old 07-02-10, 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
K here goes a question, what's the best quality,easy installation, easiest functions for Ipod and Iphone. No ML.
i have done a lot of vaistech. to me the installation is never a problem, very simple and straight forward. quality is very reasonable, of course if you want better the vml can provide better quality. personally i think their stuff are pretty easy to use.

i don't think installation of any of these kit would be that challenging. if you want to use ipod/iphone, then definitely get one with the 30-pin ipod cable and one that can charge the unit while playing
Old 07-03-10, 02:04 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i have done a lot of vaistech. to me the installation is never a problem, very simple and straight forward. quality is very reasonable, of course if you want better the vml can provide better quality. personally i think their stuff are pretty easy to use.

i don't think installation of any of these kit would be that challenging. if you want to use ipod/iphone, then definitely get one with the 30-pin ipod cable and one that can charge the unit while playing
Will i be able to watch video on it? Also where can it be purchased for the best price.
Old 07-03-10, 11:59 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Will i be able to watch video on it? Also where can it be purchased for the best price.
Yup, while the car is parked. You will need to perform the nav hack to enable video in motion. You can purchase the SL2Vi directly from VaisTech.
Old 07-04-10, 01:54 AM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Arrow Jailbraking

Originally Posted by mysteryan
My device is actually quite stable jailbroken. It's only until you load up many background processes, themes, third party-UIs and other memory resident/hogging process that things start becoming unstable.
Yea, been there done that... depends on who cooks the rom, how well they cook it, and how consistently they are at cooking it well
I dont' hate it, there are definitely benefits of missing features, like full A2DP with latest version of AVRCP, etc.... but there are also downsides... such as security risks, not being able to use the updated or new version of OS when it comes out...

I guess it all depends on individual and how much trouble they are willing to go through to get the features or benefits of the jailbroken iPhone
Old 07-04-10, 02:03 AM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Arrow DICE it is!

It's a no brainer..

DICE or VAIS both good products, and equally easy to install.

If I was going to to suggest, I say DICE.
In the same unit you get best digital wired connection, an A2DP if you even need to use it, extra aux input, and a direct connection for the Sat Radio if you ever need it, it's a plug away.

It comes with a factory stereo friendly plug, and to get to the stereo is not a big deal at all. First time might take you 1 hr, if you are good with your hands, you'll be done in 30 mins

DICE MB1500 is not out yet for toyota, but should be out next week. I already placed an order, still haven't got it, should get it mid next week.

Will post the place where you can get a good deal on it, once I receive the product and all goes through well.

Cheers!!
Old 07-04-10, 02:10 AM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Arrow To Video of not to Video

Yes and No. Depends on what you qualify as video.

YouTube? = NO
TV Streaming? = NO
APP Video Streaming? = NO
iTunes videos? = YES

Yea it's a bit lame and unpolished, but apparently it's a limitation on Apple's end, and unless your iPhone is jail-broken, tuff luck!!

Also The Video Unit that comes from VAIS does NOT have a digital iPhone/iPod audio connection that is another sacrifice.

I had to make the same choice myself. I like the video option, but after weighing it all out, I'll sacrifice the Video function and get everything else
Old 07-04-10, 03:33 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Yes and No. Depends on what you qualify as video.

YouTube? = NO
TV Streaming? = NO
APP Video Streaming? = NO
iTunes videos? = YES

Yea it's a bit lame and unpolished, but apparently it's a limitation on Apple's end, and unless your iPhone is jail-broken, tuff luck!!

Also The Video Unit that comes from VAIS does NOT have a digital iPhone/iPod audio connection that is another sacrifice.

I had to make the same choice myself. I like the video option, but after weighing it all out, I'll sacrifice the Video function and get everything else
What do you mean by i tunes video? If i download a video or a movie from limewire will i be able to watch it, if i sync it through my itunes to my iphone 4g? Also the last sentence you said "get everything else''. Please be more specific of what everything else is.
Old 07-04-10, 07:43 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by i tunes video? If i download a video or a movie from limewire will i be able to watch it, if i sync it through my itunes to my iphone 4g? Also the last sentence you said "get everything else''. Please be more specific of what everything else is.
On the download via limewire and sync to itunes, the answer is yes.

When Serggus says get everything else, he means high quality digital audio, A2DP bluetooth stereo, sat radio interface, etc. Those are only available on the Dice unit

The Vaistech SL2Vi unit which plays video from the iPhone is an analog unit which means the music does not sound like CD quality. It sounds like broadcast radio, but is not CD or HD radio quality. Quite frankly if you like the sound of CDs on your ML system, you won't like the sound of your iPod on an analog Vais unit.

Its unfortunate but with the current products on the market, if you want to play video from your iPod, you can't have CD quality sound. It's one or the other.
Old 07-04-10, 09:50 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

I doubt a lot of people would be able to discern the difference between an analog and digital signal of the two. The vaistech unit is pretty close to CD quality.
Old 07-04-10, 12:31 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by batman75
On the download via limewire and sync to itunes, the answer is yes.

When Serggus says get everything else, he means high quality digital audio, A2DP bluetooth stereo, sat radio interface, etc. Those are only available on the Dice unit

The Vaistech SL2Vi unit which plays video from the iPhone is an analog unit which means the music does not sound like CD quality. It sounds like broadcast radio, but is not CD or HD radio quality. Quite frankly if you like the sound of CDs on your ML system, you won't like the sound of your iPod on an analog Vais unit.

Its unfortunate but with the current products on the market, if you want to play video from your iPod, you can't have CD quality sound. It's one or the other.
Thanks for the clearifieng it for me, i would obviously like to have the best quality sound. What would you suggest me to get and where?

Quick Reply: iPhone 4/3GS/iPod Touch - streaming over A2DP (Stereo over Bluetooth) directly to ML