GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changed rear brake pads, now lights all over dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 09:55 PM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed rear brake pads, now lights all over dash

I changed my rear brake pads today, when I was done, I have Check VSC, Check ESB, parking brake light is on, skid marks in upper left are on, a few others as well.

I screwed up, and left the jack stand under the car, and drove it off of it, but checked all the connections around the wheel, and all seems to be connected, and working. Drove the car, and all seems fine as well.

Any suggestions how to reset all these warning lights, or if there are any ideas what I may have hit or disconnected with the jack stand when it jammed under the car?
Old 06-30-10, 12:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just a wild guess, where did you put the jack stand? i hope you didn't damage the speed/abs wire?
Old 06-30-10, 04:15 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

you drove the car off the jack?
Old 06-30-10, 05:02 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I assume you had to compress the pistons in the calipers to fit the new brake pads in? In doing so, you forced the brake fluid backwards and I think there is a sensor that detects this and doesn't like it because the brakes are electronically controlled. I may be wrong, but just pull the codes and look. If you just clear the codes, see if they come back... they probably won't.

Check ESB seems to be indicative that it could be as simple as that if everything is connected. The only other thing as mentioned could be that you hit and damaged an ABS sensor.
Old 06-30-10, 07:12 AM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

How do you pull the codes?
Old 06-30-10, 07:19 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PeteV
How do you pull the codes?
Any OBDII code reader.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=OBDII&x=0&y=0
Old 06-30-10, 09:02 AM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I assume you had to compress the pistons in the calipers to fit the new brake pads in? In doing so, you forced the brake fluid backwards and I think there is a sensor that detects this and doesn't like it because the brakes are electronically controlled. I may be wrong, but just pull the codes and look. If you just clear the codes, see if they come back... they probably won't.

Check ESB seems to be indicative that it could be as simple as that if everything is connected. The only other thing as mentioned could be that you hit and damaged an ABS sensor.
I think this is the likely scenario. I checked all wires that were in the vicinity of the jack stand, and everything still is in it's proper place. Is there a way to clear the codes without buying the OBD II?
Old 06-30-10, 09:16 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I think this is the likely scenario. I checked all wires that were in the vicinity of the jack stand, and everything still is in it's proper place. Is there a way to clear the codes without buying the OBD II?
Usually it will clear itself after enough drive cycles (engine warmed, and cooled) so long as the problem that set off the event doesn't reoccur. I think it might be 5, but I'm not sure, it might be many more.

Anybody who does any maintenance on their own vehicle or even just wants to have some knowledge about a problem they are bringing to a shop's attention beforehand to protect yourself from getting gouged should have a scanner these days though since they are cheap and readily available. I suggest you just bite the bullet and buy one, it's not something that you'll regret over the long run.
Old 06-30-10, 09:20 AM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jay, understood. Does it also have the ability to clear codes, or just scan them?
Old 06-30-10, 10:03 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Thanks Jay, understood. Does it also have the ability to clear codes, or just scan them?
Almost all of them will clear codes, actually I don't remember the last time I saw one that couldn't delete stored codes that it finds.
Old 07-06-10, 08:25 PM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

OK, got the code reader, plugged it in, and it doesn't seem to be reading the codes. Is there something special you need to do to this car to get it to interact with the reader?
Old 07-07-10, 07:02 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Advance/Auto Zone/Pep Boys will check and clear codes for free.
Old 07-07-10, 07:26 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

OK, got the code reader, plugged it in, and it doesn't seem to be reading the codes. Is there something special you need to do to this car to get it to interact with the reader?
Well... the ignition needs to be on (engine doesn't need to be running though). I assume you tried that?

If you did, and the thing says "reading" or something and then tells you theres no codes then even though it says no codes it is still telling you something. Most lower end OBDII readers do NOT read errors in the ABS system (or airbags). So, that really points your problem in this case to a problem with the ABS, I think.
Old 07-07-10, 10:11 AM
flexthis
Driver School Candidate

Make sure your parking brake is on.
I tried to scan mine and it didn't work - read the instructions and it said your parking brake has to be on. Put the parking brake on and it worked like a charm.