GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 07:04 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Yup, mine's on the list too! - This one I don't mind, as it will probably be fixed the first time.

It's the 4 visits for the same rattles that really **** me off! - My rattles are fixed now, but it's July. We'll see what happens in December! I've been on Genesis forum a lot lately and have not seen any problems of the magnitude that I've had with this car!
So get the darn Genesis already. What are you waiting for?
Old 07-22-10, 06:03 AM
Marylander
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

I'm a law professor (Products Liability) and I read these kinds of threads with interest but almost never participate. But I have to this time.

The failure rate here is extremely low. This is a voluntary recall. I can assure you that other manufacturers have parts with failure rates much higher than the valve springs here, but are not doing any recall. Toyota is trying to compensate for perceived (not real, but perceived) quality failings by being extremely pro-active.

So I advocate that we all remain calm. We drive superb cars. Our manufacturer is much better than most. Our cars are wonderful to drive and are extremely safe.
Old 07-22-10, 07:56 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
So get the darn Genesis already. What are you waiting for?
The 2011 Genesis Sedan. They should be available early this fall.
Old 07-22-10, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Marylander
Hi all,

I'm a law professor (Products Liability) and I read these kinds of threads with interest but almost never participate. But I have to this time.

The failure rate here is extremely low. This is a voluntary recall. I can assure you that other manufacturers have parts with failure rates much higher than the valve springs here, but are not doing any recall. Toyota is trying to compensate for perceived (not real, but perceived) quality failings by being extremely pro-active.

So I advocate that we all remain calm. We drive superb cars. Our manufacturer is much better than most. Our cars are wonderful to drive and are extremely safe.
well said
Old 07-22-10, 08:56 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Marylander well cleared it out for A D D ppl.
Old 07-22-10, 09:27 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got my GS300 back from getting it's valve springs replaced (not the recall, but same thing). I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but I did start it and so far it appears that my wild idle on cold startup has gone away for the most part. They only did the valve springs, they did not do a top engine cleaning which I was hoping they would do at the same time. I guess that TSB still doesn't exist in Canada.

While I'm happy that they did the valve job, unfortunately I got the car back like this...

I'm working with them now on getting this rim replaced, all the rims were spotless before they took my car and only a few months old.
Old 07-22-10, 10:08 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am happy everything seems normal with the, but dam they murdered ure rims
Old 07-22-10, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Did they sharpen knives with your wheels? Damn!
Old 07-22-10, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ouch....... do they know how to drive.....
Old 07-22-10, 01:59 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I just got my GS300 back from getting it's valve springs replaced (not the recall, but same thing). I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, but I did start it and so far it appears that my wild idle on cold startup has gone away for the most part. They only did the valve springs, they did not do a top engine cleaning which I was hoping they would do at the same time. I guess that TSB still doesn't exist in Canada.

While I'm happy that they did the valve job, unfortunately I got the car back like this...

I'm working with them now on getting this rim replaced, all the rims were spotless before they took my car and only a few months old.
sorry to hear and see your problems. hope your dealer makes it right to you. i would certainly go ape if that happened to my wheels!
Old 07-22-10, 09:25 PM
g550
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ecko1211
is there a waiver form you can sign so they can release the car to you so that you can have your car and bring it back once the part comes in?
An update: It looks like the dealership is going to provide me with a loaner until the recall is completed. A nice gesture on their part seeing as I'm yet to be an official owner. And, it was provided without a threat or argument: I simply mentioned that we were uncomfortable to continue driving our trade-in, which they understood.

I also have a call in to corporate (you know, the 800 customer care #) with regards to providing a waiver or something similar, and an update to the recall. I'm not holding my breath on the waiver, but I'm curious to hear their answer (I'll share both answers).

As a kudos, I have to mention that the dealership has been awesome throughout this process. I had confidence with Lexus going into this purchase even though this recall has me waiting in anticipation and a little frustrated. But the helpfulness and communication from the dealership has been second to none. I'm glad to be joining the Lexus club!

I'll keep y'all updated!
Old 07-23-10, 06:27 AM
ecko1211
Rookie

Originally Posted by g550
An update: It looks like the dealership is going to provide me with a loaner until the recall is completed. A nice gesture on their part seeing as I'm yet to be an official owner. And, it was provided without a threat or argument: I simply mentioned that we were uncomfortable to continue driving our trade-in, which they understood.

I also have a call in to corporate (you know, the 800 customer care #) with regards to providing a waiver or something similar, and an update to the recall. I'm not holding my breath on the waiver, but I'm curious to hear their answer (I'll share both answers).

As a kudos, I have to mention that the dealership has been awesome throughout this process. I had confidence with Lexus going into this purchase even though this recall has me waiting in anticipation and a little frustrated. But the helpfulness and communication from the dealership has been second to none. I'm glad to be joining the Lexus club!

I'll keep y'all updated!

hmm maybe i should ask the same for a loaner too? the only difference is i only put down a deposit to hold the car and have not actually bought the car yet because they wouldn't release it.
Old 07-23-10, 10:13 AM
g550
Driver School Candidate

hmm maybe i should ask the same for a loaner too? the only difference is i only put down a deposit to hold the car and have not actually bought the car yet because they wouldn't release it.
ecko1211, you're in the same situation as I am...but I didn't even give them a deposit yet. They have a copy of my CC, but that's it. You should definitely ask, it can't hurt.
Old 07-23-10, 11:47 AM
ecko1211
Rookie

Originally Posted by g550
ecko1211, you're in the same situation as I am...but I didn't even give them a deposit yet. They have a copy of my CC, but that's it. You should definitely ask, it can't hurt.
i will not accept anything but a is-f or ls600h.
Old 07-23-10, 12:12 PM
g550
Driver School Candidate

i will not accept anything but a is-f or ls600h.
I told them anything with 4 wheels and a hot blonde in the passenger seat. My girlfriend hit me. I guess we'll take whatever they give us.

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)