GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-10, 08:03 AM
BenzTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
I guess this would explain why my idle is really rough at stops, and why my idle RPM will drop down below 500. Of course, my Lexus dealer said they couldn't find a problem. They also said that my knock and rattle on start up was normal for my engine (or is this a known PROBLEM with my engine?), and that it was JUST piston slap while the oil pressure was building (no big deal right? – ha!).

07 GS350
The rattle is the VVT intake cam gears. Covered under warr and TSB

Originally Posted by derfp2
Wonder if this has anything to do with the cold/warm startup noise(racket) that the GS350s been having, supposedly some menbers have had the TSB done for this (racket noise) and had the noise come back months later...Mine does it rarelly on first startup, but pretty frequently with after driving warm startups....
NO, the springs do not affect noise.

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Well if it's a RECALL then everybody is covered regardless of warranty status. Otherwise, if the car isn't on the officiall recall list I assume that they deal with it on a case by case basis.
Recall is done regardless of time/miles.
Old 10-04-10, 05:09 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BenzTech
The rattle is the VVT intake cam gears. Covered under warr and TSB
Owning the 07GS350 for almost 4 yrs and only heard the rattle a couple of times when the car sat outside in the cold.
My question is would there be any problem other than the rattle if I don't have the intake cam gears replaced.
Thanks.
Old 10-04-10, 07:26 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Benztech - is there a particular dealer or tech you would recommend to do the spring replacement in miami/ft lauderdale?
Old 10-11-10, 12:39 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

would the dealer have an issue with me having a K&N intake installed? im to lazy to go back to stock for this? and which dealer or service rep would you guys recomend in the OC (so cal area)?
BTW im at 79k miles and worried about them hasseling me
Old 10-12-10, 01:11 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never had any problems with either of our cars with engine noise - we had them both in for the valve spring replacement, and haven't noticed any differnce. We did get a nice letter from Lexus with a $500 Parts/Service gift certificate, $1500 off our next Lexus, two free fill ups, and got to cruise around in an HS250h for 2 weeks
Old 10-13-10, 03:33 AM
Iknowspurg
Driver

Had my springs replaced and noticed the following.

1) No more rattling during the startup. Sounds much better and more solid
2) Car seems much zipper; at first I thought not, but I really do think it is
3) Free tank of gas

So far no issues whatsoever.
Old 10-13-10, 06:48 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by grondie
I never had any problems with either of our cars with engine noise - we had them both in for the valve spring replacement, and haven't noticed any differnce. We did get a nice letter from Lexus with a $500 Parts/Service gift certificate, $1500 off our next Lexus, two free fill ups, and got to cruise around in an HS250h for 2 weeks
2 weeks!

For whatever reason my 2008 still hasn't been "recalled"...must have been one of the first to have the revised springs prior to the 2009 MY.
Old 10-13-10, 07:02 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grondie
A $500 gift certificate and $1,500 off on a new car!?!? That's awesome.

You weren't wearing your Tony Soprano halloween costume, were you?

I'm getting my car back today after 8 days of waiting. I had them work on rattles and replace the actuators in the mirrors so it took a little longer. Will share my experience here later today. Not holding my breath for the nicies you got tho!
Old 10-13-10, 04:37 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
2 weeks!

For whatever reason my 2008 still hasn't been "recalled"...must have been one of the first to have the revised springs prior to the 2009 MY.
Since we have two cars with the 3.5, we brought them in one at a time - hence the long time in the loaner.
Old 11-01-10, 12:20 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got done speaking with service writer at my Lexus dealer in Pittsburgh about the valve spring recall. Apparently, you have to wait for the letter to come from Lexus. According to the dealership, Lexus is sending out letters to owners when the parts become available. That sounds like a boatload of c**p to me. I'm just trying to get it done before I get it set up for winter (tires, LOF, etc.). Apparently, I don't rate at the dealership.....don't know why but I'm beginning to get a little suspicious. Tell what you think!
Old 11-01-10, 12:21 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

oops .... Tell us what you think!
Old 11-01-10, 01:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
I just got done speaking with service writer at my Lexus dealer in Pittsburgh about the valve spring recall. Apparently, you have to wait for the letter to come from Lexus. According to the dealership, Lexus is sending out letters to owners when the parts become available. That sounds like a boatload of c**p to me. I'm just trying to get it done before I get it set up for winter (tires, LOF, etc.). Apparently, I don't rate at the dealership.....don't know why but I'm beginning to get a little suspicious. Tell what you think!
tell him to stop his BS. dealerships already get all the recall information including vin range. all they need is your vin and they can determine if your car is in recall or not

i still haven't received the letter, but my car is back from the recall already. same with my friend's
Old 11-02-10, 03:20 PM
RooRa
Driver

i called my dealership and they told me to wait 3 weeks because they dont have enough supplies in stock to do every recall. ( They do have 250 loaners )

guess im waiting 3 weeks. where is my mail?! i want my 1.5k off my lfa

jk.
Old 11-30-10, 05:23 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

OK....now i'm howling in laughter at "Lexus Service". Finally got a recall letter from Lexus and now the dealership will talk with me. (See previous post). It is November 29th and the "very soonest" he can get the car in is March 30th. No kidding. March 30th. This is a veritable comedy that would be quite serious if not for the fact that the recall isn't terribly serious given the lack of actual broken springs. We have two dealerships in Pittsburgh and both are owned by the same family so they have a monopoly on Lexus and they know it. I really don't think i'll be doing business with them again in the future since they seem to have the attitude that the customer will take what we want them to take, when we want them to take it. Lexus service.....HAH!
Old 11-30-10, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

march?! wow, their mechanics work with only 1 hand??

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)