GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 10:52 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Work? what's that?
Old 11-30-10, 11:02 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
OK....now i'm howling in laughter at "Lexus Service". Finally got a recall letter from Lexus and now the dealership will talk with me. (See previous post). It is November 29th and the "very soonest" he can get the car in is March 30th. No kidding. March 30th. This is a veritable comedy that would be quite serious if not for the fact that the recall isn't terribly serious given the lack of actual broken springs. We have two dealerships in Pittsburgh and both are owned by the same family so they have a monopoly on Lexus and they know it. I really don't think i'll be doing business with them again in the future since they seem to have the attitude that the customer will take what we want them to take, when we want them to take it. Lexus service.....HAH!
This is hilarious.

In Miami I had a couple of service advisors call me up and give me the hard sell on bringing the car in asap for the recall. They offered to do it immediately. When I told them I travel every week and can't find 2 weekdays where I am in town, they offered me a loaner for a 5 days to help fit it into my travel schedule. They seemed very keen to do the recall asap.

In the end I gave my car to JM Lexus because the other dealer didn't have a good track record with my previous service experiences (e.g. couldn't get an alignment right after 2 attempts!).
Old 11-30-10, 04:00 PM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK....now i'm howling in laughter at "Lexus Service". Finally got a recall letter from Lexus and now the dealership will talk with me. (See previous post). It is November 29th and the "very soonest" he can get the car in is March 30th. No kidding. March 30th. This is a veritable comedy that would be quite serious if not for the fact that the recall isn't terribly serious given the lack of actual broken springs. We have two dealerships in Pittsburgh and both are owned by the same family so they have a monopoly on Lexus and they know it. I really don't think i'll be doing business with them again in the future since they seem to have the attitude that the customer will take what we want them to take, when we want them to take it. Lexus service.....HAH!
Which Dealership? I go to the North Hills dealership and setup an appointment for 12/13 online. I listed the Factory Recall as one of the things I wanted them to look at along with dash creak/squeak and a grinding sound when I start the car...for the 4th time. If you spoke to the North Hills dealership then I need to call them because chances are, I'll bring the car in and they won't be able to fix it.

I've also been unimpressed with the service I've received the past 2 years I've owned the car. When I've taken it in for service, the one service advisor always has an attitude. I'm sure they're tired of hearing from me regarding the dash creak/squeak, but I'm still under warranty and want it fixed (or as close to fixed as it can be).
Old 11-30-10, 07:35 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

always find lexus dealers up north just arrogant and rude,,my old jersey dealer was horrible,,,every service was way too expensive and nothing was under warranty,,,
Old 11-30-10, 09:13 PM
atcvader
Driver

Just had mine done with Lexus San Diego.. My car was finished in 3 days, but I decided to keep the loaner for the full 5 days. When I got my car back, it had a full tank of gas and new wash.. It's been 3 days and the car doesn't make any abnormal sounds, no funky smell and actually feels a little more responsive than before. My experience with Lexus San Diego has always been a plus.. Very impressed with my visit..
Old 12-01-10, 04:07 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

MJB, I'm talking about North Hills Lexus. I also was successful in making an appointment for next week to get my snow tires mounted and lube, oil, etc. They had no problem getting the car in for service just not for the recall. And you're right, the service advisors do seem to have something of an attitude. It's as though they're doing you a favor by taking your money. The whole situation is ridiculous and it's brought about by lack of competition. I don't know when Lexus will decide that in a a metro area with greater than 3 million people you need more than 2 dealerships but evidently they don't feel like it's a problem. By the way, Infiniti also has 2 stores locally and they're both owned another family. Just sad really. I really like my Lexus and would consider an LS next time but since the service situation is not so good, I really think I have to consider BMW and Benz since they're more competitive with one another.
Old 12-01-10, 04:15 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

By the way MJB, do us all a favor when you get your appointment and let us know when they've been able to get you in for the recall. I'm interested and amused. You'll probably be in about July if my gut is right.
Old 12-01-10, 06:06 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjb2124
Which Dealership? I go to the North Hills dealership and setup an appointment for 12/13 online. I listed the Factory Recall as one of the things I wanted them to look at along with dash creak/squeak and a grinding sound when I start the car...for the 4th time. If you spoke to the North Hills dealership then I need to call them because chances are, I'll bring the car in and they won't be able to fix it.

I've also been unimpressed with the service I've received the past 2 years I've owned the car. When I've taken it in for service, the one service advisor always has an attitude. I'm sure they're tired of hearing from me regarding the dash creak/squeak, but I'm still under warranty and want it fixed (or as close to fixed as it can be).
I am having the exact same experience, but only with my dealership in the Mid-West. They act like it is such an inconvenience for me to be coming in so much - like it isn't a complete inconvenience for me? They never fix anything, all they do is drive the car and say they don't hear any noise - are they flipping hard of hearing? At least the recall and TSB for rattle on start-up got done. My experiences with Lexus over the last couple years have sucked! I would love my car if they could actually fix it, but I am starting to dislike it very much.
Old 12-01-10, 06:21 AM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

MichaelPEA - I'll let you know what happens. I scheduled my appointment online with the recall so I'll see what they say when I bring the car in. I'm sure the service advisor will tell me they can't do it at that time based on your comments. We'll see on the 13th.

BTW, not sure if you get your car washed at the North Hills dealership, but I'd recommend against it. I let them wash it the first time I had service done and it came back with thousands of tiny micro scratches on both sides (none on the top). I talked to the Service Manager about it and he said their car wash is touchless so the scratches must have been there beforehand. I know for a fact the scratches weren't there, but they wouldn't budge. The best they would do was wax it for me to see if the scratches would come out. Considering my nail would catch in some of them, I knew I'd need wet sanding so I took it to a detailer that I know. It's great now, but I'm still unhappy with that situation and the fact that Lexus service was so poor.

It's funny you mention Infiniti because my wife has an Infiniti G37x. We actually went to Maryland to get it because the dealerships here wouldn't negotiate and kept pushing the demo car with 900+ miles onto us. The salesman I spoke with actually laughed when I told him what I'd pay and told him I wasn't budging from that number. Told me I'd never get that number. I got that number in Maryland. He called a handful of times the next few months to see if we were still interested. I missed the first few phone calls, but answered the last one. I told him I got my number in Maryland. He seemed surprised that I went to Maryland for the car. I guess they're oblivious.
Old 12-01-10, 06:22 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
I am having the exact same experience, but only with my dealership in the Mid-West. They act like it is such an inconvenience for me to be coming in so much - like it isn't a complete inconvenience for me? They never fix anything, all they do is drive the car and say they don't hear any noise - are they flipping hard of hearing? At least the recall and TSB for rattle on start-up got done. My experiences with Lexus over the last couple years have sucked! I would love my car if they could actually fix it, but I am starting to dislike it very much.
Have you tried a different dealership? I would suggest trying a different dealership. If that doesn't work, call Lexus.
Old 12-01-10, 06:24 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Has anyone recieved the $500 parts/labor gift certificate from Lexus?

I got a letter 3 weeks ago which included the $1500 new car coupon and a letter saying they would be sending the $500 parts/labor certificate soon. But I haven't received it. I didn't return my car for the ALE recall until this week, but given the letter was before that, I'm not sure that this is the trigger.
Old 12-01-10, 06:24 AM
mjb2124
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
Does the rattle on start-up sound like metal grinding? I'm hearing a metal grinding sound on start-up after I've driven the car for a bit and then it sits for an hour or so and I start it again. I mentioned it last time, but they didn't have the parts to fix it and would call me when the parts came in - which seems to be an excuse they use frequently. That was months ago... I scheduled for that to repaired this time, but don't expect much.
Old 12-01-10, 08:01 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Batman, the point in all this is that it doesn't matter where you go because Pittsburgh only has 2 Lexus dealers and they're both owned by the same guy. In fact when I was trying to buy my car I went from one store to the other to compare prices when the salesman asked what happened when I was at the other store. Probably because of my trade, he knew I had been at the other store. Think his price was any better? No.....sticker less $500. Take it or leave it. Did the same as mjb, got a quote from a dealer in Maryland through my credit union. Then they weren't so intransigent and gave me a decent (but not great) price.
Old 12-01-10, 08:52 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Batman, the point in all this is that it doesn't matter where you go because Pittsburgh only has 2 Lexus dealers and they're both owned by the same guy. In fact when I was trying to buy my car I went from one store to the other to compare prices when the salesman asked what happened when I was at the other store. Probably because of my trade, he knew I had been at the other store. Think his price was any better? No.....sticker less $500. Take it or leave it. Did the same as mjb, got a quote from a dealer in Maryland through my credit union. Then they weren't so intransigent and gave me a decent (but not great) price.
Tough situation. In this case I think I would not buy Lexus. The dealer experience is as important as the product, especially in a car which is prone to warranty claims.
Old 12-01-10, 09:29 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by batman75
Have you tried a different dealership? I would suggest trying a different dealership. If that doesn't work, call Lexus.
No other dealer even close. Last time I called Lexus they sent out some nincompoop that did less to help the situation than the dealership.

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)