GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 01:39 PM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my letter back around Thanksgiving and since I was getting somewhat close to 60k on the odo, I would wait to have the valve springs and the 60k service done all at the same time. Well I called the dealership, the EARLIEST they can get me in is Apr 4th!!!!!!!! The dealership has a dedicated service advisor who is only working on these repairs who told me they are doing 6 cars a day. Now if the valve spring fails between now and then, I can immediately get in. It too bad there is only 1 Lexus dealership (2 locations, owned by same family) that I can not go elsewhere that is convenient for me. Oh well...
Old 01-05-11, 03:48 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MadDawg350
Well I called the dealership, the EARLIEST they can get me in is Apr 4th!!!!!!!!
whatttt!!! thats nuts,,u need to call lexus complain right away,,,
Old 01-05-11, 05:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LIMS407
whatttt!!! thats nuts,,u need to call lexus complain right away,,,

dude, there's no rush to get this done.
no need to complain.
Old 01-05-11, 05:12 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
no need to complain.
I agree. In fact in retrospect, I don't see any point in doing it. The engine is under warranty if there is a failure. I think this procedure probably increases your risk exposure than reduces it given the relative probability of the tech messing something up, relative to the tiny risk of a valve spring failure. As far as I know there has never even been a failure in a V6.
Old 01-05-11, 06:36 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 34k on my 07 GS. I'm waiting until I reach 60k (probably in another 3 years or so) to have it done, and have them replace the spark plugs at the same time. There should be little or no labor charge for the plug replacement while doing the valve springs.
Old 01-06-11, 03:13 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no need to complain.
I would get this done as soon as possible so that you can get all of the additional problems it causes fixed before the warranty is up. My idle got rougher after the recall, and I started experiencing more problems in general with the engine after the recall. My car almost dies now at stop lights, and the idle goes down to around 200. The start-up RPM is all over the place now. I keep taking the car to the dealership, and they just tell me they weren't able to duplicate the problem and the car is operating as designed. I am very disappointed with Lexus, and have been a Toyota and Lexus owner my whole life but this may be the last Toyota-made vehicle I own. The rattles are bad, the engine problems are even worse, but the fact that the front brakes lock up while the rear drive pushes the car forward when the idle is above 800 is unacceptable. I am going to dump this car, before I get in a serious accident, and report it to NHTSA after I get it sold. I feel really sorry for the next owner!
Old 01-06-11, 04:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
I would get this done as soon as possible so that you can get all of the additional problems it causes fixed before the warranty is up. My idle got rougher after the recall, and I started experiencing more problems in general with the engine after the recall. My car almost dies now at stop lights, and the idle goes down to around 200. The start-up RPM is all over the place now. I keep taking the car to the dealership, and they just tell me they weren't able to duplicate the problem and the car is operating as designed. !

the "additional" problems you have are covered by a 6 year/100k engine warranty.

This is also the exact reason why I am not having the recall performed until the car is really old. As long as I don't abuse the engine, there's probably little change my springs will snap

You guys are the guinea pigs. They are experimenting and practicing on your cars.
They only started fixing this a mere 2 months ago. I wouldn't trust anyone to work on my car yet.

When they have all the bugs resolved, and deal with returning customer complaints...... THEN i might get the recall done....... which might be in 3 years, earliest.

regarding the "unable to duplicate" annoyance- What you need to do is take a ride with the tech, and show him how your car shakes.
That is what my service guy said.
Old 01-06-11, 05:28 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

no need to complain.
when i complain, i get goodies from lexus
Old 01-06-11, 08:48 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I agree. In fact in retrospect, I don't see any point in doing it. The engine is under warranty if there is a failure. I think this procedure probably increases your risk exposure than reduces it given the relative probability of the tech messing something up, relative to the tiny risk of a valve spring failure. As far as I know there has never even been a failure in a V6.
I am in no hurry to bring my 07GS350 in. The car runs so smooth. No engine vibration and high idle. Knock on wood. This year so far a couple times when the car parked outside in cold weather, the engine made a rattling noise when started. There is a TSB for it. Will fix this issue with the spring recall.
Old 01-06-11, 10:51 PM
CBRA928
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

i just called my dealer, to make an appt, they said if i drop it off in the morning i can have it back end of business same day... they also said it would cost 172 to change out the spark plugs.... i'm at 85+k miles on my 07 GS350, i mainly want my spark plugs changes, this way i don't pay for labor.
Old 01-07-11, 12:52 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

when i complain, i get goodies from lexus

I will try your method to get some goodies.

I am getting some warranty items taken care of.
I'm not so sure they will fix them, or they might write "unable to duplicate" to **** me off.
I just want the goodies, and be done with them.
I just realized how much I hate going to the dealer.
Old 01-07-11, 06:47 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I agree that there is no real reason to get the car in as soon as possible as the techs should become more proficient on this over time. If the tech messed something up, I think chances are good that you will know very quickly.

I tried not to overthink it and get it done...my engine purred when it went in and conbtinues to do so after the surgery. Added bonus is getting the cam gears redone to remedy the occasional grinding on startup. From my understanding, 2006 and 2007 have a TSB but 2008 does not but they fixed it since the engine was disassembled.
Old 01-07-11, 07:54 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MelYW
I agree that there is no real reason to get the car in as soon as possible as the techs should become more proficient on this over time. If the tech messed something up, I think chances are good that you will know very quickly.

I tried not to overthink it and get it done...my engine purred when it went in and conbtinues to do so after the surgery. Added bonus is getting the cam gears redone to remedy the occasional grinding on startup. From my understanding, 2006 and 2007 have a TSB but 2008 does not but they fixed it since the engine was disassembled.
Yes if something goes wrong you would know it very quickly, or they would know it as soon as the car is started again and resolve it without you ever knowing it. The additional benefit in my eyes is that you get a whole series of fresh gaskets, especially if your car is already a number of years old and has a lot of mileage. Of course, I suppose, they could screw up a gasket and you may not notice that if it's a small leak for quite some time.

I'm not sure if any of the gaskets being disturbed are RTV or if they are all one piece replacements. If they are one piece, the chances of any kind of problem are remote... RTV, well, if somebody doesn't kn ow what they're doing or are in a rush they can screw that up.
Old 01-07-11, 08:48 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

I will try your method to get some goodies
lexus told me i was royal customer to them since this is my 3rd lexus,,guess they do check peoples history before they do anything,,anyway, lexus really took care of me this time
Old 01-07-11, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lexus told me i was royal customer to them since this is my 3rd lexus,,guess they do check peoples history before they do anything,,anyway, lexus really took care of me this time
3rd lexus and it's royal? man, i am freaking loyal j/k

still remember the member from a while back with 27 lexus (probably more by now)

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)