GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-10, 02:40 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
It says "certain 2006, 2007 and 2008 GS, IS and LS models". The only 2006 model on that list is the IS350.

I'm not so sure how real this list is, since that site is the ONLY one the last time I looked that had that information on it. If it were really an official announcement I would have expected that info to be everywhere.
Aw snap ... you're right about the '06 IS. Here is the release directly from the Toyota website ... http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ll-161319.aspx
Old 07-02-10, 02:45 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CAK 500
Aw snap ... you're right about the '06 IS. Here is the release directly from the Toyota website ... http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ll-161319.aspx
Yep, 06 GS left out in the cold in this regard. I just have to hold my breath that they are going to take care of me even though it's not on the recall list. I hope I won't have to fight too long or hard to get my car running smoothly 100% of the time. The intermittent problems were very annoying before, and now I have to worry about the car eventually stalling while moving? Yikes...
Old 07-02-10, 05:39 PM
Mike450h
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spine911
Lexus replaced all my valve springs under an approved TAS case PRIOR to the official valve spring TSIB to fix the carbon buildup issue. At that time there was no TSIBs/Recalls and i had to fight my case for the repairs.

.... the valve springs is ONE of the possible fix for the carbon build up issue.

Just sent you a PM,

I would very much like to know..

A. Did replacing the valve springs fix the carbon issue?
B. How did you make your case and force Lexus to fix the issue?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-02-10, 07:02 PM
LexFather

"Lexus estimates that the likelihood of a customer vehicle experiencing this condition is two-tenths of one percent (0.2 %)
We shall see. Please post if you get a letter.
Old 07-03-10, 09:59 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Pretty good technical perspective into the issue:

What's really going on with Toyota's faulty valve springs w/ video

Old 07-03-10, 11:30 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

cak500, thx for the link and info. holy fark, this is scary!
Old 07-03-10, 11:57 AM
huch
Rookie

Originally Posted by mkim1120
i recently had mine completed
check engine light came on with alot of p301-306 misfires
took it to the dealership they cleared the codes and suggested a fuel injection
didnt fix the problem. engine bogged down hard and actually turned off a few times at red lights
it took them 6 weeks to complete but runs like a champ now
also got the cat converter replaced as well

Agreed. Same **** happened to me, except mine was reporting misfires in the 4th cylinder (P304). It took them a solid 4 weeks to get it fixed because "they didn't have the parts in stock and it was back ordered". In the end they replaced all valve springs for that specific cylinder (so 4 valve springs) but they never changed all of them. This problem also happened when I was driving on the highway coasting! The tach was probably at 2000rpm when it happened....Had to get it towed 180km. Man that was a ****ty day.

Ever since then I've always thought about the other valve springs that weren't replaced and when they would give in. So if Lexus is willing to replace ALL the valve springs then I'm pretty sure i'll do it.
Old 07-03-10, 02:22 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

man, that looks like a lot of work to replace those springs. estimated cost / vehicle according to Lexus/Toyota will be $844/per. (cost to Lexus, not customers)
Old 07-03-10, 06:08 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtrue28
man, that looks like a lot of work to replace those springs. estimated cost / vehicle according to Lexus/Toyota will be $844/per. (cost to Lexus, not customers)

Dealer gets paid by Lexus seventy-five cents on the dollar on warranty repairs. So if corporate estimates job will cost $844, they either pay the dealership $633 or they work out a credit agreement. Bad PR for the Lexus brand but its good filler time for dealerships.
Old 07-03-10, 07:03 PM
spine911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
If the recall will come out and they will be changing the valve springs, is there any chance that ping pong noise will go away from direct injection?

My service tech specifically mentioned to me after installing the updated valve springs that it should also improve / tone down the DI "ticking" noise.

My car sounds a tad quieter post updated valve install.

Originally Posted by Mike450h
Just sent you a PM,

I would very much like to know..

A. Did replacing the valve springs fix the carbon issue?
B. How did you make your case and force Lexus to fix the issue?

Thanks for your help.

A. My car got the updated valves just a couple months ago- PRIOR to the TSIB for rough idle (which requires induction cleaning, and valve spring update). It was only about 2000-3000 miles post valve update. My 997 is my designated DD for the moment. It will require more driving time to verify if this definitely fixes the carbonization issue....I WILL KEEP YOU GUYS UPDATED.

B. My local dealer has been fantastic and extremely proactive. It is a process that required verification of symptoms since at that time there was NO TSIB/RECALL.

Honestly, im quite displeased with Lexus Corporate after i had the chance to talk to them about this issue. I feel that Lexus/Toyota should have issued this recall EARLIER

Last edited by spine911; 07-03-10 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-04-10, 12:28 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

They just can not stopped crapping...

Friend of mine had broken springs on his 2008 IS350 couple days before the official recall, initially I thought he might of ran too hard and too long at redline and fxxked up the engine!!!

Originally Posted by derfp2
Wonder if this has anything to do with the cold/warm startup noise(racket) that the GS350s been having, supposedly some members have had the TSIB done for this (racket noise) and had the noise come back months later...Mine does it rarely on first startup, but pretty frequently with after driving warm startups....
Tell me about it, I had SECOND "Check Noise from Cold Start Up (TSIB EG020-07)" done on my toy at 30k service!!!

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Just curious...would this be covered under their powertrain warranty (6 yrs/72,000 miles)?
I have spoken to the manager both at Lexus HQ and Sewell, they told me that it will be cover under powertrain warranty. But since Sewell is known "Customer for Life," they told me that they will take care of it even after powertrain warranty runs out!!!
Old 07-04-10, 03:34 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So when should we be seeing this recalls letter's in the mail?
Old 07-04-10, 12:01 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ekc
Just read about it. Toyota has taken a reputation beating the past 2 years. Wonder what they're gonna do with our cars.
They deserve it for using inferior parts. Then BS about foreign materials got into the parts.
Old 07-04-10, 12:08 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

My 07GS350 also experiences a sagged left rear coil spring which causes a rear sagged a bit on one side. There are other GS owners experience the same issue
Lexus says it's normal.
Old 07-04-10, 12:24 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
My 07GS350 also experiences a sagged left rear coil spring which causes a rear sagged a bit on one side. There are other GS owners experience the same issue
Lexus says it's normal.
Think ya got the wrong kinda spring there, Chuck. The problem is with valve springs. Think engine, not suspension.

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)