GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-10, 06:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I want mine done but I will wait a year or so before letting them do it. They may need a little practice
Old 07-06-10, 06:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
I read somewhere it said the recall involves the springs manufactured starting July 2005. So I thought GS300 06 might be affected.
read the post above yours

Originally Posted by Ice350
Hey, they could bring back the 2JZ. Why not? GM has been using the same pushrod engines for a long time and their cars haven't had engine recall issues.
just imagine a 2jz setup gs300 (or 350 if they increase displacement) and then the gas mileage says 16/21. take a guess what's going to happen
Old 07-06-10, 06:16 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

so what now???? do we wait for recall notices? do we wait for the failure?
Old 07-06-10, 06:48 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
info posted by kalbert24
-----------------------------

Well, here's the lastest from the NHTSA.gov site.

it's Toyota's official DIR to the NTHSA (Defect Information Report). It has the VINs involved in this recall.

http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...0V309-8305.pdf
Thanks rominl. My GS is definitely in the VIN range. Guess I already knew, but CRAP.

The chronology outlined in the defect information report raises several questions.

Surprising that the problem with the contaminants (zirconia and silicon oxide) never happened before. Is this furnace(s) solely dedicated to springs for the GS? Was the use of zirconia in the furnace a first-time thing? Seems odd that no other models were affected and that they are using a casting process that presumably no one else does, otherwise surely this problem would have appeared before.

Why did they wait so long to address the problem with vehicles that had already been delivered? By changing the spring diameter to 3.4mm in August 2008, they all but admitted that 3.3mm springs were potentially defective. They should have issued the recall right then and there.

After the change to 3.4mm springs in August 2008, they increased the diameter again to 3.5mm in September 2009, stating that valve springs greater than 3.4mm in diameter are of sufficient strength to protect against the problem blah blah blah. The replacement springs in the recall will be 3.5mm. Why then are they not recalling the vehicles produced between August 2008 and September 2009, since they have the smaller 3.4mm springs?
Old 07-06-10, 08:56 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

mixed feelings right now: i fall outside the vin range, so the recall doesn't affect me. BUT: the valve springs i have are probably the 3.4mm ones, and not the 3.5 mm that the recalls are getting.
Old 07-06-10, 10:05 PM
iseigaroo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before the recall my mom was picking my daughter up from school and her 07 LS460 stalled. She didn't know what to do so headed over in my 06 GS430 to see what was going on. It was all f-uped so I hit the Lexus link she isn't a member and she got on the phone with her dealer. After a bunch of bs they sent AAA to get it and take it to the nearest dealer. Come to find out valve spring broke. She lives in GA and they didn't want to give her a car. So I called her dealer in ATL and finally they worked something out with the dealer in SC. About two weeks earlier her amp went out and lexus link wouldn't tell me which fuse to pull and stop it had to come to this great form. If lexus wants to do any good they need to refer to this place and get some info to better their brand. Maybe I speed the recall up because i gave two dealerships and lexus link hell for over 4hrs with a 70+k car stalling while parked. And I drive it (LS) to TN and seems like it still has a problem like before. When you hit the gas it want go like normal. Sorry for the long write Lexus just has gotten to me
Old 07-06-10, 10:15 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

CRAP, my toy is on the HIT LIST...

I am dropping off my toy sometime this week, but won't pickup till brake noise also been repaired (new TSIB suppose to come out at the end of this month)...

I am feeling like driving BMW/MB again... now service department is my second garage...
Old 07-06-10, 10:58 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 198 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by slk_dds
CRAP, my toy is on the HIT LIST...

I am feeling like driving BMW/MB again... now service department is my second garage...
Funny...I feel that way too....and the HS250 loaner is my second car!
Old 07-07-10, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

guys, you are all pushing on the panic button again... it's just my feeling. people in the recall, they complain about cars having problems. people not in the recall, they complain what if their cars have problems @_@

CAK 500, as discussed extensively in the car chat thread, a new design does NOT mean a recall. if for every single design change / improvement they have to issue a recall, our cars will probably be recalled so often it will drive you crazy.

going from 3.4mm to 3.5mm could be to make things even more solid, but that doesn't mean 3.4mm is faulty. keep in mind, lexus already openly said they knew about the problems 2 yrs ago, but they did not believe the 3.3mm spring would be a problem at all, but increasing the size would help. it's not until recently that they heard about more problems (like about 0.2%) that they decided to be preventive and recall all cars.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5618952-post1413.html
Old 07-07-10, 04:26 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guys, you are all pushing on the panic button again... it's just my feeling. people in the recall, they complain about cars having problems. people not in the recall, they complain what if their cars have problems @_@

CAK 500, as discussed extensively in the car chat thread, a new design does NOT mean a recall. if for every single design change / improvement they have to issue a recall, our cars will probably be recalled so often it will drive you crazy.

going from 3.4mm to 3.5mm could be to make things even more solid, but that doesn't mean 3.4mm is faulty. keep in mind, lexus already openly said they knew about the problems 2 yrs ago, but they did not believe the 3.3mm spring would be a problem at all, but increasing the size would help. it's not until recently that they heard about more problems (like about 0.2%) that they decided to be preventive and recall all cars.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5618952-post1413.html
3.5 mm will add 30 more horse power guys, be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just joking)
Old 07-07-10, 04:34 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

No panic button here, but Lexus has by their own admission made an unacceptable and uncharacteristic string of quality control mistakes. They basically set a new standard for quality, performance and reliability among car manufacturers, and are now failing to meet their own standard. Without anger, pressure and a healthy bit of skepticism on our part as consumers, these types of failures will persist. I believe that they'll come back stronger than ever, but we have to stay on their asses to help them get there.
Old 07-07-10, 07:44 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My spring is longer than your spring.
Old 07-07-10, 08:03 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CAK 500
No panic button here, but Lexus has by their own admission made an unacceptable and uncharacteristic string of quality control mistakes. They basically set a new standard for quality, performance and reliability among car manufacturers, and are now failing to meet their own standard. Without anger, pressure and a healthy bit of skepticism on our part as consumers, these types of failures will persist. I believe that they'll come back stronger than ever, but we have to stay on their asses to help them get there.
My experience with the culture of the Asian community is never admit error or fault. Admission (I prefer the word 'recognition') was only made once third parties made the issues public. Valve springs was an issue with the LS that only came to light due to public complaints.

With that said, I do think Lexus (and Infiniti) provide the most bang for the buck in the luxury segment. But they handle public relations as poorly as the state of Israel.
Old 07-07-10, 08:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CAK 500
absolutely, i agree with you. if you read my posts from the past 3 years or this recent thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ave-lexus.html

you can see that i have been criticizing their quality issues since 2006, after i saw the 3gs, owned the ls460l, and now the gs350

lexus (toyota) definitely needs a big slap on the face to wake up. though my previous post was trying to clarify their position (not trying to say right or wrong) and that design changes shouldn't translate to recall immediately
Old 07-07-10, 09:04 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

guys, you are all pushing on the panic button again...
No, not panicking here!!!

I am just disappointed with their QC, the only reason I got the Lexus is so I would not "became" frequent visitor at the service department; otherwise I would of keep on driving BMW or MB instead...

Quick Reply: 270,000 FaultyLexus/Toyota Engines, potential recall (valve spring replacement)