GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vias? or iSimple?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 04:00 PM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question about this Vaistech thing:

Can I control the music through the steering wheel AND the touchscreen on the 2006 GS300?

Is it simple to browse through folders? Let's say I have a USB stick with 32 GB of music, which contains 200 folders. Is it pretty easy to navigate through this stuff?

Does anybody have a screenshot of what's on the touchscreen display on a 2006 GS 300 with this product?
Old 07-22-10, 04:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes you can control through touch screen and steering, but on the 06 it's gen4 nav, so things are not as intuitive. on gen5 you can have extended browsing including browsing by albums, playlists, genre, artists, etc... on gen4 it's just playlists.

you can read through the vml manual to get a better understanding on how the files need to be structured in order to play. there are some other posts as well members posting about vml, where if you don't have any playlist, then it will play everything one by one. if there is playlist, then only songs on playlist will be played, etc...

here's a screen shot of what it looks like on cd emulation

Old 07-22-10, 08:14 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Group buy going on now in our vendor marketplace direct from Vaistech

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...echnology.html
I did see this group buy, but it ended and the next one will be in september. I was actually looking for something now. But thanks anyways.
Old 07-22-10, 10:24 PM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

I plan on putting all my music on a USB if I buy this thing...

I'm pretty much going to have folders with the artist name, and then subfolders within that folder with that artist's albums.

So I'll have a folder titled EMINEM, then inside of that I'll have folders for each of his albums.

Is that something that's easy to browse through?

The USB will have about 25 main folders, and each of those folders will contain between 3 and 15 sub-folders.

The next question is...will it give me options for "shuffle folder" and "shuffle all" ?

Meaning, can I put ask the VAIS to shuffle the songs just in the folder I decide to play? Can I ask the VAIS to shuffle all the songs on the USB?
Old 07-23-10, 09:03 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by doeordie22
I plan on putting all my music on a USB if I buy this thing...

I'm pretty much going to have folders with the artist name, and then subfolders within that folder with that artist's albums.

So I'll have a folder titled EMINEM, then inside of that I'll have folders for each of his albums.

Is that something that's easy to browse through?

The USB will have about 25 main folders, and each of those folders will contain between 3 and 15 sub-folders.

The next question is...will it give me options for "shuffle folder" and "shuffle all" ?

Meaning, can I put ask the VAIS to shuffle the songs just in the folder I decide to play? Can I ask the VAIS to shuffle all the songs on the USB?
Thanks for your interest in VML MultiMediaLinQ.

Unfortunately VML won't support subfolders. So you will have to list every folder separately. You can have 99 folders for CD/MD changer emulation and 999 folders for CD-MP3 emulation. Number of songs can go up to 9999. And you can have upto 4 partitions on your USB source, primarily used with HDD connected to VML, internally or externally.

As far as shuffle you can only shuffle songs within a single folder. What I have seen people do to get shuffle all, is that they dump all songs into one folder and then put on shuffle.

Please let us know if you guys have anymore questions.
Old 07-23-10, 02:53 PM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

^ No subfolders? Not a huge problem.

So I can have up to 999 folders on a USB? That'll work.

What's do you mean by CD/MD emulation and CD-MP3 emulation?

The CD part is confusing me...I plan on using a USB stick(s).

How is the sound quality? Same as a CD?
Old 07-23-10, 03:37 PM
mmnbi2006
Driver

Default Vias

i have the VIAS in my 06
love so simple to use and installing it was simple
plug in play, but you have to remove your OEM unit to plug.
but overall wooowwwww
Old 07-23-10, 03:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

^ No subfolders? Not a huge problem.

So I can have up to 999 folders on a USB? That'll work.

What's do you mean by CD/MD emulation and CD-MP3 emulation?

The CD part is confusing me...I plan on using a USB stick(s).

How is the sound quality? Same as a CD?
different cars use different emulation mode. for 06 gs, it's cd emulation. for 07+ gs, it's mp3 emulation. so if you get 06, that means you can have 99 folders. if you have 07+ gs, you can have 9999 folders. the emulation is basically to program the unit so to the factory unit, when you press on the DISC button 2nd time, it will go from factory changer to the "emulated" cd changer which is the ipod/usb

on my sl2i-up, i honestly don't hear much difference in sound quality compared to cd
Old 07-23-10, 04:36 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Please let us know if you guys have anymore questions.
I do have a few questions for the VML… (not sure if you are the same person who answered my questions from the Vaistech website…but oh well)

You can PM me for the answers or reply here...

1. Partition: on the VML manual page 3 “Partitioned USB memory is compatible with this unit. (Can not be managed by Windows XP and Windows Vista).“, what does it mean?? If I were going to make partitions to my 16GB USB stick, will it work? Any recommended software?
2. Folder +50/-50: on the VML manual “Press and hold the RPT button to activate/disactivate playlist +50 mode.“ << It is a typo, for my 07 GS350, I have to press and hold SCAN to activate the +/-50 mode, RPT button does not do anything.
3. Category (Playlist, Artist, Album) Selection: what does this feature do?? Can you explain? Every time I try to perform this feature the only thing showing on the screen is Category: Playlist. The current music still plays and nothing to choose.
4. ipod interface: I found the only way to successfully utilize ipod is to make as many playlists like you would to a USB stick. This takes too much time to do in itune (one playlist at a time) versus you can drag and drop hundreds folders at one time to the USB stick. Is this true? Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 07-25-10, 01:09 AM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

Can someone who has a 2006 GS300 post a screen shot of what's displayed on the screen when playing MP3s from a USB source?
Old 07-25-10, 07:10 PM
BLu_Gs3
Driver

How about this one? What U guys think??

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
Old 07-25-10, 07:42 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BLu_Gs3
How about this one? What U guys think??

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
here you go...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-it-works.html
Old 07-26-10, 10:03 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by memasterac
I do have a few questions for the VML… (not sure if you are the same person who answered my questions from the Vaistech website…but oh well)

You can PM me for the answers or reply here...

1. Partition: on the VML manual page 3 “Partitioned USB memory is compatible with this unit. (Can not be managed by Windows XP and Windows Vista).“, what does it mean?? If I were going to make partitions to my 16GB USB stick, will it work? Any recommended software?
2. Folder +50/-50: on the VML manual “Press and hold the RPT button to activate/disactivate playlist +50 mode.“ << It is a typo, for my 07 GS350, I have to press and hold SCAN to activate the +/-50 mode, RPT button does not do anything.
3. Category (Playlist, Artist, Album) Selection: what does this feature do?? Can you explain? Every time I try to perform this feature the only thing showing on the screen is Category: Playlist. The current music still plays and nothing to choose.
4. ipod interface: I found the only way to successfully utilize ipod is to make as many playlists like you would to a USB stick. This takes too much time to do in itune (one playlist at a time) versus you can drag and drop hundreds folders at one time to the USB stick. Is this true? Am I doing something wrong here?
1. Windows can only create partitions sized 32Gb and can't create any partitions for flash drive. There is a special software that can create partitions larger then 32Gb and can create partitions for flash drive. Not sure which one is best, but you can search them online. Or you can use MAC which can do it without any special software.

2. It is a type. DISC SCAN needs to be activated in order to access FOLDER +50 Folder -50. Good catch, we will fix it.

3. This has been mainly created for iPod, but can also be used for mass storage devices which have M3U playlists created.

4. Unless you have a 5th Gen navigation system in your Lexus you do have to have playlists set up in order to browse iPod.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-10, 01:30 AM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

I forgot to ask...how long does it take for this thing to read a USB?

Let's say the USB stick has 16 GB of data...how quickly does it load?

And how quick does it browse through 99 folders? Any loading times doing that?
Old 07-28-10, 08:24 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

I forgot to ask...how long does it take for this thing to read a USB?

Let's say the USB stick has 16 GB of data...how quickly does it load?

And how quick does it browse through 99 folders? Any loading times doing that?
The way our system works is as soon as you inserted the flash drive or HDD into VML it will start loading data immediately and will save it in the cache folder (created automatically by VML). It will give you ability to browse your data as soon as it becomes available. For example it loaded 100 songs out of 1000 you have, so it will let you browse through your 100 while other 900 are loading. Also once your cache folder is built, next time you start the car or plug this flash drive in, there is no more loading, VML will take all information from cache, so all files are available immediately.

Quick Reply: Vias? or iSimple?