GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vias? or iSimple?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 11:48 PM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay...I got my GS 350.

So it doesn't play mp3 DVDs...that's retarded.

I need to get this VIAS unit.

Where's the cheapest place to buy it?
Old 08-09-10, 12:37 AM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

A few more questions:

I want USB flash drive playback AND iPod playback...so does that mean I need the VML unit?

Is there anyway to play video files with this device? If so, what format? Do I just need to throw them on the flash drive?

Since there is no subfolders, I am literally going to have 200 or more folders on my flash drive. Is it a pain in the *** to browse through all those folders? Or can I do it quickly? The folders should display in alphabetical order, correct?

And to confirm once again: Let's say I insert a 32 GB flash drive. The first time, it might take a while to load. Afterwards, whenever I insert that same flash drive, it will load quickly because of cache storage?

What's the cheapest price I can find this product for?

Will my song names display EXACTLY like the file is named on my PC? If the file name is "Nas- One Love" is that how it will display on the touch screen? I've always hated the iPod and iTunes because they don't go by how the file is named on my PC, they go by some other BS tags.
Old 08-09-10, 06:26 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doeordie22
Will my song names display EXACTLY like the file is named on my PC? If the file name is "Nas- One Love" is that how it will display on the touch screen? I've always hated the iPod and iTunes because they don't go by how the file is named on my PC, they go by some other BS tags.
If these devices didn't use the ID3 tags, THAT would be seriously annoying. Every MP3 device made in the last ... I don't know, 5-10 years has been reading ID3 tags.

It's not so hard to go through your music and re-tag it, and there are even lots of free tools that go and do this semi automatically.
Old 08-09-10, 08:14 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would wait. There's a new Vais unit coming out which will really break the mould for these types of product. Pics or on the Vais mainpage.

It's the first attempt at a decent UI.
Old 08-09-10, 09:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I would wait. There's a new Vais unit coming out which will really break the mould for these types of product. Pics or on the Vais mainpage.

It's the first attempt at a decent UI.
that unit doesn't do usb though
Old 08-09-10, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
If these devices didn't use the ID3 tags, THAT would be seriously annoying. Every MP3 device made in the last ... I don't know, 5-10 years has been reading ID3 tags.

It's not so hard to go through your music and re-tag it, and there are even lots of free tools that go and do this semi automatically.
it uses id tag, not file name. lol if using filename then that's very epic
Old 08-09-10, 09:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

A few more questions:

I want USB flash drive playback AND iPod playback...so does that mean I need the VML unit?

Is there anyway to play video files with this device? If so, what format? Do I just need to throw them on the flash drive?

Since there is no subfolders, I am literally going to have 200 or more folders on my flash drive. Is it a pain in the *** to browse through all those folders? Or can I do it quickly? The folders should display in alphabetical order, correct?

And to confirm once again: Let's say I insert a 32 GB flash drive. The first time, it might take a while to load. Afterwards, whenever I insert that same flash drive, it will load quickly because of cache storage?

What's the cheapest price I can find this product for?

if you want ipod and usb, yes you need vml.

vml does not have video

browsing folders, assume either car is stopped or you have override, you can use buttons to browse through them. at any time i think it will display 6 folders, pressing a button can move to the next 6, etc...

i think what vaistech said is when you first put the drive in, it will take a few seconds, but you can start browsing when you scroll through the drive. if you unplug and later on plug in again, i think it will have to re-load again?
Old 08-09-10, 10:38 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by rominl
if you want ipod and usb, yes you need vml.

vml does not have video

browsing folders, assume either car is stopped or you have override, you can use buttons to browse through them. at any time i think it will display 6 folders, pressing a button can move to the next 6, etc...

i think what vaistech said is when you first put the drive in, it will take a few seconds, but you can start browsing when you scroll through the drive. if you unplug and later on plug in again, i think it will have to re-load again?
Thanks rominl for answering those questions.

Just little more inputs though:

Folders will show up on your drive in the order you load them on there.

Song names will show exactly as it displays on your PC.

And once you insert your 32Gb drive in VML will start building cache folder and files will become available once they are loaded. For 32 Gb to build cache folder and load all the music, it will take apprx 5-10 minutes. Once cache is build, next time you insert this drive in, it will not need to load songs again. VML will use information stored in cache folder.
Old 08-09-10, 12:43 PM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

WHAT??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

Somebody PLEASE tell me he was kidding.

I can't browse through folders if I'm driving? No fu****g way.
Old 08-09-10, 12:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

WHAT??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

Somebody PLEASE tell me he was kidding.

I can't browse through folders if I'm driving? No fu****g way.
welcome to the world of lexus

you can go to next/previous file/folder, but can't browse and select/skip
Old 08-09-10, 12:54 PM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

you can go to next/previous file/folder, but can't browse and select/skip

I'm confused...what's the difference?

If I have USB drive with 300 folders...can I access all 300 folders while I'm driving?
Old 08-09-10, 12:56 PM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

I'm confused...what's the difference?

If I have USB drive with 300 folders...can I access all 300 folders while I'm driving?
Yes you can. There are two way to browse files and folders. One is the touch screen, which can only work while the car is stationary. Second are physical buttons on the radio and steering wheel control, which both work while the car is in motion.

Thanks,
Old 08-09-10, 12:57 PM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

Folders will show up on your drive in the order you load them on there.

Song names will show exactly as it displays on your PC.

So folders won't show up in ABC order?

So song names will display as they are on my PC, and not in ID3 format?
Old 09-01-10, 04:45 PM
doeordie22
Driver School Candidate

I got this unit installed. Here's a question:

This thing doesn't play video...I wanted to be able to play YOUTUBE videos from my phone on my touchscreen. I guess I can't do that. So...

Can I burn YouTube videos onto DVD-R and play them in my GS? If so, what's the process?

What's a good software to do this with?
Old 09-01-10, 05:02 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VaisTech
Yes you can. There are two way to browse files and folders. One is the touch screen, which can only work while the car is stationary. Second are physical buttons on the radio and steering wheel control, which both work while the car is in motion.

Thanks,
... and Third - disable speedlock that gives you access to everything even while you're driving

When it comes to aftermarket audio stuff for Lexus, Vais Tech is bar none!!! I have both Sirius-SLS and VML and integration with steering wheel controls and touch screen controls feels like OEM