GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Toy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by KingTX1981
Here are some photo's I took yesterday; completely stock at this time. I went ahead and looked into some rims in town - anyone know of Rollo's in Houston? I've heard good things; I was just curious about the quality of their products - the prices they were quoting me seem too good to be true. Based on what I've seen, 19's are probably what I'll go with. Any recommendations on coils? Like I mentioned earlier, I was thinking about going with the F-sport by Toyota, because if I get them done at a certified location, it won't mess with warranty.

I'm also going to tint the windows next weekend.

One other question for anyone in the Houston area - where do you get your car washed?? Every place I've been to around here has automated brushes. It's sounds silly to ask this, especially after living here for several years, but anyone know any do-it-yourself car wash stops within the city itself? (you know, the coin-feed ones where you stand there and do everything yourself?)

Fun fact: the green Benz in the background is the old ride. Still deciding what I'm going to do with it.

To be honest - I think this is probably the first time I've ever bought something and liked it even better after owning it than when I was looking at it in the store...I keep discovering small amenities designed to make life a little more comfortable (i.e. the subtle mood-lighting that stays on in the car at night, the fact that you can still change to pre-determined destinations in the GPS while the car is moving, etc)
read up lowering on awd, a lot of people have vibration issues

though i find it interesting, awd in tx?
Old 07-26-10, 10:49 AM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does these people have vibration issues using F sport springs too? Anybody with success using different aftermarket springs?

Thanks for the pics Kcook...I may end up opting for 20s after all; your car looks good, but I think I'd like to fill out the wheel well a little more. Will I need to do anything besides coils at that size?

As far as why AWD - I'm moving to the northeast in a year.
Old 07-26-10, 11:43 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does these people have vibration issues using F sport springs too? Anybody with success using different aftermarket springs?

Thanks for the pics Kcook...I may end up opting for 20s after all; your car looks good, but I think I'd like to fill out the wheel well a little more. Will I need to do anything besides coils at that size?

I haven't heard any complaints about vibration with the F-Sport springs. I think that's the way to go. Plus with F-Sport parts they are covered for the full length of the new car warranty if they are installed by a dealer. Which means if you have problems with vibration you can hold Lexus accountable.
Old 07-26-10, 11:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the fsport springs are for the rwd 350/460 only from the lexus list. if you put them on awd and got vibration, i don't see how you can hold them accountable, they aren't for the awd

given that pretty much all other springs i have seen in the market, when put on awd, create vibrations, i would imagine the same on the fsports
Old 07-26-10, 12:30 PM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the 3GS, welcome to CL.
Old 07-26-10, 03:30 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Thanks for all the input on lowered rides on AWD models.

Has anyone out there had any luck with modding their AWD without wobble? I would really like to put some 20s (or at least 19s) but I would hate to sacrifice the ride and comfort. Any recs on what to do?
Old 07-26-10, 04:18 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the input on lowered rides on AWD models.

Has anyone out there had any luck with modding their AWD without wobble? I would really like to put some 20s (or at least 19s) but I would hate to sacrifice the ride and comfort. Any recs on what to do?
I think some members have had luck with F-Sport wheels and f-Sport springs. But 20" is out of the question. Safest bet is F-Sport 19s and stock springs.

The springs on the AWD are 1" higher than on RWD. This is unusual as a design choice and I think it indicates that Lexus also found vibrations with a 1" drop over current level. If they couldn't get it to work, I doubt anyone else will.

19" F-Sport wheels should be fine - they are a listed option on the GS350AWD.

Last edited by *Batman*; 07-26-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 04:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l-3gs-awd.html
Old 07-26-10, 05:01 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Well that's too bad...It seems that the risk of putting in coils outweighs the benefits. 20s are out.

I'm not even sure about 19s now. I guess I'll call the dealership sometime tomorrow and see what they have to say about the whole thing. Can't say I'm not a little disappointed; I had held off on modding the prior ride in anticipation of getting a new car.

So, it seems that a few things likely ruin the ride on the AWD:
-a staggered setup
-coils, any kind (!)

What happens if you just put in some 19s, without the springs? Anyone with pics of what that looks like?
Old 07-26-10, 05:30 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Congrats and welcome back.

F-Sport accessories are easy to put on just like any aftermarket bolt-ons. 60hp from an exhaust? Doubt it.

Suspension works. I got it on my 07 AWD.

Price for installation depends on where you go. Find an aftermarket shop and they should be able to do it for around $200 for the springs.

People roll big rims on the 3GS. Lots of 20's and some even bigger I think.

Are you looking for the stock 5 spoke?

I noticed it's been nearly a year since you put in the F-sport coils...Any problems with vibration or increased settling since then? What size rims are you using?
Old 07-26-10, 10:05 PM
808LexGS
Driver

Hey everyone!

Just received my 2010 Lexus GS 350 AWD, straight off the transport! Pretty excited to be back; I had a SC300 a long time ago and was on here; but then strayed to a E-class Benz (big mistake ), and now I'm happy to be a lexus owner again

Anyways - I was wondering about a few things:

-Has anyone put on any of the F-sport accessories after purchasing? I was wondering what kind of added boost I could get - I was told the exhaust system would add 60 hp (!) and the air intake about 10 hp.

-I was also wanting to put the sport suspension in (I think it lowers the car about an inch).

-As far as the above accessories - what kind of price did you guys pay putting them on after the car was already built?

-I was also wondering about rims - I was thinking about putting in 18's, but I know it can tolerate 19 (and probably 20?). Any good input on where to find a good deal on chrome 18s with the Lexus badge? I'm looking specifically for a 5-spoke pattern...

Also: I got it with the Mark Levinson sound system...anyone else have it? This thing will knock your socks off!

Anyways, I'm pretty excited!

Thanks!
Congrats KingTX. I just picked up a 2010 GS350 myself over the weekend.

Regarding the F-Sport accessories, I got a chance to drive a 2010 GS350 RWD with all the accessories minus the wheels. It felt quicker than a stock GS and with the larger brakes, it can stop on a dime. The ride was pretty good too with the F Sport springs. The drop is only about 1 inch but it's still noticeable.
Old 07-26-10, 10:16 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Congrats!

There is a sticky 3GS wheel thread, you should take a look. IMHO 18s are ok, but I think that 18s look too small on this car. I have 19s right now, and I wish that I went with 20s. Of course its a personal pref. some folks are ok with 17s

I agree with others that ML is not the best, but compared to other brands its pretty good.
When you said 17 i know you thought of me right away lol, to the op congratz on the new ride hope you will enjoy it.
Old 07-27-10, 07:44 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

If you like the way my car sits, then no, all you need is the F-Sport springs. You would use the GS RWD springs. If you want to go lower, I would suggest coilovers (expensive yet adjustable) or the Tanabe DF210 springs (rated to lower the car around 2 inches all around).
Old 07-27-10, 10:16 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kcook700
If you like the way my car sits, then no, all you need is the F-Sport springs. You would use the GS RWD springs. If you want to go lower, I would suggest coilovers (expensive yet adjustable) or the Tanabe DF210 springs (rated to lower the car around 2 inches all around).
I do like the stance, and I like the look of the EXE wheels in general.

I think what I may try is just putting 19s on it, and seeing what it looks like without lowering. If it looks odd, I'll opt for the f-sport lowering.

Any advice on staggering on the AWD? I think I read somewhere that staggering wasn't a good idea on AWD...
Old 07-28-10, 02:30 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well me imo I feel 20s would be the way to go, it will fill in the wheel gap nicely

Quick Reply: New Toy!