GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New Toy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 08:22 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Toy!

Hey everyone!

Just received my 2010 Lexus GS 350 AWD, straight off the transport! Pretty excited to be back; I had a SC300 a long time ago and was on here; but then strayed to a E-class Benz (big mistake ), and now I'm happy to be a lexus owner again

Anyways - I was wondering about a few things:

-Has anyone put on any of the F-sport accessories after purchasing? I was wondering what kind of added boost I could get - I was told the exhaust system would add 60 hp (!) and the air intake about 10 hp.

-I was also wanting to put the sport suspension in (I think it lowers the car about an inch).

-As far as the above accessories - what kind of price did you guys pay putting them on after the car was already built?

-I was also wondering about rims - I was thinking about putting in 18's, but I know it can tolerate 19 (and probably 20?). Any good input on where to find a good deal on chrome 18s with the Lexus badge? I'm looking specifically for a 5-spoke pattern...

Also: I got it with the Mark Levinson sound system...anyone else have it? This thing will knock your socks off!

Anyways, I'm pretty excited!

Thanks!
Old 07-22-10, 09:16 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome back.

F-Sport accessories are easy to put on just like any aftermarket bolt-ons. 60hp from an exhaust? Doubt it.

Suspension works. I got it on my 07 AWD.

Price for installation depends on where you go. Find an aftermarket shop and they should be able to do it for around $200 for the springs.

People roll big rims on the 3GS. Lots of 20's and some even bigger I think.

Are you looking for the stock 5 spoke?
Old 07-22-10, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to clublexus, congrats on your car. you will enjoy it a lot here

60hp from the exhaust? i highly highly doubt that. to me exhaust is more about the look and sound. this is not a FI car, changing exhaust won't yield that kind of significant hp gain

i am on 20s, stocks are already mostly 18s so i would go at least 19s

yes, a lot of owners here have the ml option. it's pretty good, though i have to say among other ml systems on other lexus cars, the one in 3gs is more on the disappointing side
Old 07-23-10, 04:50 AM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations on the new mule and welcome back. I have to agree with Rom....the ML is a bit on the disappointing side. I am riding 20" wheels and love it but 19" look good too. I have the tanabe exhaust on my vehicle and have posted sound clips on another thread. Well enjoy and post some pics.
Old 07-23-10, 05:27 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats!

There is a sticky 3GS wheel thread, you should take a look. IMHO 18s are ok, but I think that 18s look too small on this car. I have 19s right now, and I wish that I went with 20s. Of course its a personal pref. some folks are ok with 17s

I agree with others that ML is not the best, but compared to other brands its pretty good.
Old 07-23-10, 06:08 AM
dpeease
Driver School Candidate

Welcome and congratz on the car.

Don't even think about 18s or 19s. Go with 20s!!
Old 07-23-10, 06:37 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KingTX1981
Hey everyone!

Just received my 2010 Lexus GS 350 AWD, straight off the transport! Pretty excited to be back; I had a SC300 a long time ago and was on here; but then strayed to a E-class Benz (big mistake ), and now I'm happy to be a lexus owner again

Anyways - I was wondering about a few things:

-Has anyone put on any of the F-sport accessories after purchasing? I was wondering what kind of added boost I could get - I was told the exhaust system would add 60 hp (!) and the air intake about 10 hp.

-I was also wanting to put the sport suspension in (I think it lowers the car about an inch).

-As far as the above accessories - what kind of price did you guys pay putting them on after the car was already built?

-I was also wondering about rims - I was thinking about putting in 18's, but I know it can tolerate 19 (and probably 20?). Any good input on where to find a good deal on chrome 18s with the Lexus badge? I'm looking specifically for a 5-spoke pattern...

Also: I got it with the Mark Levinson sound system...anyone else have it? This thing will knock your socks off!

Anyways, I'm pretty excited!

Thanks!
Congrats.

On the exhaust: I don't think you will get much performance out of an axleback exhaust like the F-Sport one. You may get 20-30hp out of a cat-back. ISS Performance can make one which likely will give you performance gains (haven't seen dyno).

On the suspension and wheels - BE CAREFUL. LOTS OF AWD OWNERS REPORT VIBRATION AND WOBBLES ON AFTERMARKET LOWERED SPRINGS AND 20" WHEELS. I think you will be okay with F-Sport springs. Personally if I was you, I would do F-Sport springs and stick with stock wheels or get F-Sport OEM 19" wheels.

These threads elaborate on the AWD issue with springs and wheels:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...on-wobble.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...sion-data.html
Old 07-23-10, 05:10 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Thanks for the great ideas...after looking around, I think I will start looking around for 19's. What exactly are the specs I should be looking for? (i.e. offset and tire size to avoid rubbing)? Have you guys noticed a sacrifice in the ride/comfort when you made the switch? Also - will a 1 inch drop that comes with the F-sport coils be enough?

I was told that info about "60 hp" by a salesman at the dealership; I was hard pressed to believe him as well. Anyone else with some stats to show any significant improvement with the F-sport air intake or exhaust? If it doesn't really show any significant improvement in performance, I'll probably not bother messing with it just yet.

Also - has anyone used the USB interface for anything besides an IPOD? I saw the tutorial on disconnecting the brake wire from the Navi; any other interesting hacks/cracks for the nav system? (I'm sporting the ML, if it makes a difference, one way or the other).

Yep, I know. Tons of questions. A little work to be done on this car for sure, but I'm taking some before and after pics, so I'll share
Old 07-23-10, 05:32 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

King, I just installed the F-sport springs on my AWD wit 19's. I went with a staggard set up for rims, front 8.5 inch rim with 245x35x19s (35 offset) and rear 9.5 inch rim with 275x30x19s (40 offset).

Really, with the F-sport springs you don't have to worry about rubbing much because the spring lowers it only an inch, which is about stock height for the RWD models (still about an inch to two inch gap). It looks nice and the ride is really good still with the spings and wheels. I do get a slight wobble at around 40mph, but I do still need an alignment, so that may fix that.
Old 07-23-10, 05:39 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Kcook,

Got any pics to share? Just curious what that setup looks like...also, please let us know what happens after you get an alignment; what happens at faster speeds?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-10, 07:30 PM
LexFather

Welcome back to Lexus and congrats
Old 07-23-10, 07:45 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow....what do we owe the honor of 1sicklex posting in the 3gen Section tonight What up stranger

KingTX1981 congrats
Old 07-25-10, 12:31 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Here are some photo's I took yesterday; completely stock at this time. I went ahead and looked into some rims in town - anyone know of Rollo's in Houston? I've heard good things; I was just curious about the quality of their products - the prices they were quoting me seem too good to be true. Based on what I've seen, 19's are probably what I'll go with. Any recommendations on coils? Like I mentioned earlier, I was thinking about going with the F-sport by Toyota, because if I get them done at a certified location, it won't mess with warranty.

I'm also going to tint the windows next weekend.

One other question for anyone in the Houston area - where do you get your car washed?? Every place I've been to around here has automated brushes. It's sounds silly to ask this, especially after living here for several years, but anyone know any do-it-yourself car wash stops within the city itself? (you know, the coin-feed ones where you stand there and do everything yourself?)

Fun fact: the green Benz in the background is the old ride. Still deciding what I'm going to do with it.

To be honest - I think this is probably the first time I've ever bought something and liked it even better after owning it than when I was looking at it in the store...I keep discovering small amenities designed to make life a little more comfortable (i.e. the subtle mood-lighting that stays on in the car at night, the fact that you can still change to pre-determined destinations in the GPS while the car is moving, etc)
Attached Thumbnails New Toy!-imag0099.jpg   New Toy!-imag0100.jpg   New Toy!-imag0101.jpg   New Toy!-imag0102.jpg   New Toy!-imag0103.jpg  

Old 07-25-10, 06:15 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingTX1981
Kcook,

Got any pics to share? Just curious what that setup looks like...also, please let us know what happens after you get an alignment; what happens at faster speeds?

Thanks!
Just posted in the wheel thread here...
Old 07-25-10, 10:10 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

very nice 3GS.

Quick Reply: New Toy!