GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Installed Dice Ipod adapter now everything's FD up - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 07:42 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Dice Ipod adapter now everything's FD up - HELP!

I'm starting to really dislike this damn car. Before everything was working tip top. Then I take out the DVD nav (its a ML) unplug everything from the back, follow the instructions from the DICE manual and now here it is...

Car won't even turn over, says check system with the (!) I don't know what to do and frankly all I did was unplug the navigation. WTF!

Battery is fine - its charged.
Navigation screen stays on even when the car is off.
Car doesn't even recognize the key fob - makes a buzzer sound until I unplug the positive terminal on the battery.
Dash lights up but thats it.

Please help I am at nothing but disgust right now!
Old 07-24-10, 08:36 PM
mmnbi2006
Driver

Originally Posted by denvergs4
I'm starting to really dislike this damn car. Before everything was working tip top. Then I take out the DVD nav (its a ML) unplug everything from the back, follow the instructions from the DICE manual and now here it is...

Car won't even turn over, says check system with the (!) I don't know what to do and frankly all I did was unplug the navigation. WTF!

Battery is fine - its charged.
Navigation screen stays on even when the car is off.
Car doesn't even recognize the key fob - makes a buzzer sound until I unplug the positive terminal on the battery.
Dash lights up but thats it.

Please help I am at nothing but disgust right now!
i say you take everything out and plug all the original harness back, hopefully that would help....
return that unit and get VIAS one, that the one i have that plug and play, it works really good for IPOD and VIDEO (mp4)
Old 07-25-10, 01:59 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, it sounds like your're f'ed. Installation mistakes? It's difficult to go after DICE. Remove the DICE and see if the car will reset. If not, remove the DICE then take the car to your dealer...
Old 07-25-10, 02:02 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that does sound frustrating. Perhaps you shorted something.
Old 07-25-10, 08:54 AM
denvergs4
Driver

Okay so I forgot to set the shifter back into park - it was late! Thats why it wouldn't start - so now its starting but now its still throwing codes.

I don't understand! Really all that I did was unplug one harness from the back of the nav and plug in the Dice adapter. I just can't overcome the fact that the dice did anything to the ecu. Just doesnt make any sense.

And my last lexus had the Vais and I had to replace it over 4 times - so thats why i didnt go with them again.

I'm still super confused and frustrated! Does anyone know how to reset all the codes? I know there's a reset button under the drivers side.
Old 07-25-10, 09:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm starting to have issues with my Vias. The right side goes out (sounds like the amp is fried). But if I Change to a normal CD or radio it works just fine. I just started to have this problem last week and the sad thing is I have put maybe 3k miles in the close to 2 years I have owned this so you can see the limited amount of usage it gets.

My suggestion is to disconnect the negative of your battery for an hour and let the ECU reset. If there is truly something wrong the codes will come back. I seriously doubt you did anything.
Old 07-25-10, 09:51 AM
denvergs4
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
I'm starting to have issues with my Vias. The right side goes out (sounds like the amp is fried). But if I Change to a normal CD or radio it works just fine. I just started to have this problem last week and the sad thing is I have put maybe 3k miles in the close to 2 years I have owned this so you can see the limited amount of usage it gets.

My suggestion is to disconnect the negative of your battery for an hour and let the ECU reset. If there is truly something wrong the codes will come back. I seriously doubt you did anything.
Thanks - yeah all I was disconnecting was the positive - I'll try the ground as well.

Same thing happened to me with the Vais on my old Lex - then I had charging issues - then I had no sound at all! Went through about 4 of them...and thats a lot of damn time pulling that nav out. This is why I didn't elect to buy another one. Everyone raves about Vais but I had problems and 2 other people I know had similar issues.

Just dont get why Lexus won't pull their head out of their *** and just integrate a damn mini or ipod connection in the factory. Everything else is advanced - just dont get it.
Old 07-25-10, 10:17 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea I was going to give up on the Vias and just take it out and look for something different. I'm sure they will replace it but like you I dont want to keep taking the dash apart, as easy as it is, just not worth it to me.

Hope this clears your codes and you can post back some positive
Old 07-25-10, 01:43 PM
redwhisky
Driver

I hope you get it fixed. I have the dice adapter as well. It worked fine until the new ipod firmware came out. Now my ipod works again, I just do not have the scroll wheel ability anymore.

FYI: You can't blame lexus for something you tried to change without knowing exactly what you were doing.
Old 07-25-10, 02:26 PM
denvergs4
Driver

Originally Posted by redwhisky
I hope you get it fixed. I have the dice adapter as well. It worked fine until the new ipod firmware came out. Now my ipod works again, I just do not have the scroll wheel ability anymore.

FYI: You can't blame lexus for something you tried to change without knowing exactly what you were doing.
ummm thats not what I said read again: Just dont get why Lexus won't pull their head out of their *** and just integrate a damn mini or ipod connection in the factory.

Then we wouldnt have to attempt to do something "without knowing exactly what we are doing" Really buddy? I was asking for help not snide remarks - typical east coast people!
Old 07-25-10, 02:31 PM
redwhisky
Driver

Yea, I read it correctly the first time. Have a nice time with your car. Amateurs!

Last edited by redwhisky; 07-25-10 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-25-10, 03:32 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't blame Lexus for not throwing in an iPod adaptor. At the end of the day, after discounts, my Lexus was $15,000 cheaper than a similarly equipped BMW model. I expect some compromises for that lower price. No iPod adapter is one of them. So is the build quality and rattles.

But I do agree that a professional installation does avoid these issues.
Old 07-25-10, 03:55 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought the vais units were supposed to be rock solid, but now it sounds like perhaps my much cheaper GROM USB2 unit isn't so bad after all.
Old 07-25-10, 05:10 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I thought the vais units were supposed to be rock solid, but now it sounds like perhaps my much cheaper GROM USB2 unit isn't so bad after all.
I've had issues with Vais SL2i-UP as well. I had mine installed by dealer May 09 when I took delivery of the car new from Lexus. It died completely in January and had to be replaced under warranty. It's been occasionally malfunctioning since June but now the warranty has been expired.

This is why I'm keeping an eye on the Dice Mediabridge reviews since the Vais unit is a ticking time bomb imo.
Old 07-26-10, 09:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
just like everything else in the world, there are exceptions. i have installed a lot of vaistech units, easily over 30. i have had 1 unit doing funny stuff. same with dice, i am not saying it's good or bad, but there are happy customers and here we have a frustrated customers. what i can say is of the few customers who had problems with their vaistech units, it turned out they were installing or initializing incorrectly.

i have had my vaistech for 3 years and it's been working perfectly, and my friend has had his for 5 years. it's just my opinion, if you have a defective unit, fine. but few defective units in a row, it's probably something else

to OP, did you plug or unplug any harness when the car is not completely shut off? your shifter not in the P position kind of gave me a warning sign. it seems like maybe some fuse is shot or unit fried when plugging and unplugging.

oh, and vaistech is what, 200 bucks? how much is the bmw ipod kit? 700. and yes, before you say it, it has problems too, i experience it first hand every now and then