GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Re: Moonroof Rattle ~ Beleive I found the culprit

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 09:16 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Moonroof Rattle ~ Beleive I found the culprit

Well I believe I have figured out where this comes from

Since I added the sub to my car the rattle from the moonroof was worse then before. So yesterday as I was driving with a song that had some good deep bass to it I opened the cover and placed my hand all over. I was pulling down, pushing up, ect...Nothing seemed to stop it but I could hear it was coming from the front.

So I really pushed my hand deep in there and once I grabbed a hold of the wind deflector and pulled it down and it stopped

The questions is how or what we need to prevent this. Maybe some sort of felt so if it does vibrate against the trim of our moonroof it will prevent this I'm going to play around with it more and will post pics if I find this or another solution works.

Hope this helps the others that have this same issue
Old 08-04-10, 01:36 PM
DarrenT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine also rattles during every-day cruising in the same spot. Have not found a solution yet.
Old 08-06-10, 08:05 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a couple of those sticky rubber feet, most hardware stores carry them. They come in square and round versions and in varied thicknesses. (For example, you can use them to cusion the bottom of ceremic tiles to use on your dining table as a trivet so it won't scratch the surface of the table.)

When the moonroof is closed, peak up in there, eyeball, mirror on a stick, whatever, and see if you can see where the wind deflector hits the bottom of the sunroof. Stick a pad to the wind deflector at the contact spot(s). Mine used to do it, but not anymore with the pads.

I think the springs get a little weak with time and the deflector doesn't get pressed up as hard so the deflector has more "play" to rattle. The pads add a cushion and the vibration is gone.

If you need, I can snap and post a picture of mine.

steviej
Old 08-07-10, 08:15 AM
Fast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej

If you need, I can snap and post a picture of mine.

steviej
I need this too!

Thanks!
Old 08-07-10, 08:45 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I was just going to get some felt and cover the full piece so its not metal against metal and this way it will look fine when you have the roof open. Just my suggestion anyway.
Old 08-07-10, 11:20 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

This is what I was planning on doing when ever I get to it. This way you can run a full strip across and not see anything. Also when its open you wont have an odd shape to cause wind noises when on the xpressway.

example
Old 08-30-10, 07:20 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thing with felt is that it gets wet and stays wet and soggy. Probably won't last if it isn't always dry.

At least with something synthetic like the soft side of velcro it will be fine wet.

Bad news though is that I have started noticing this in my car now. Seems to be worse when it's just closed (and not open, and not "up"). If I press up on the edges of the glass I can replicate the rattly/creaking noise. Usually hear it when making turns so the body is flexing or something. Though it sounds more like it comes from the back and not the front in my case.

Figure it's the deflector in all of the cases? It's really annoying.
Old 08-31-10, 10:39 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, I think I might have figured out why it rattles sometimes.

I think it has to do with the rubber trim around the moonroof perhaps expanding/swelling or just not being lubricated enough or too stiff.

Now, when I started playing with it I could duplicate the rattle noises by pushing up around the glass when it was fully closed - there was some play there. After mucking around trying to figure out if there was some place I could jam a rubber shim or something, I noticed that when opening closing at the point where the rubber presses into the roof it was squeaking.

I tried to grab the moonroof and pull down on it with a bit of force, this seems to at least on mine, fully "seal" it in whereas using the motor alone doesn't seem to do the trick. After I did this, my test pressing around didn't produce the noises.

So, now hopefully it's just a matter of making that rubber a bit softer and/or slick and hopefully the motor can press it in good and tight on it's own but I'm at a loss as to what kind of product I can use to this effect. Silicone only works temporarily until it gets assimilated into the rubber (or so it seems), so I'm not going to bother trying that.

I have some Mother's "Back to black" but I'm not sure if that would have any kind of properties that I'd need.

If you have similar issues try what I did and pull down on the glass (there is a metal area you can grasp) and see if that does any good for you - hopefully between all of us we can figure out a semi permanant solution. Even if it involves reapplying some kind of dressing every few months that's fine by me.

Edit: I couldn't find anything else to use, so I just used... with some reservations.. a can of 100% spray silicone lube, can says to clean and protect rubber and weather stripping. Ok then. So I applied a good layer of the stuff all around the gasket, and I threw a quick coat of Duragloss onto the inside painted edge of the roof. I only let it set up for a minute before wiping off, too lazy... the squeaks are gone, and the play in the moonroof is also gone along with my ability to easily make it rattle by touching the glass.

I kind of doubt that the silicone lube will be a lasting solution, and I'd rather find something else to use so still open to suggestions. I just hope it holds up for a somewhat reasonable amount of time. I'm glad that it SEEMS to be somewhat of an easy solution, though.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 08-31-10 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-31-10, 04:56 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vibrating.html
Old 08-31-10, 05:35 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer replaced my whole assembly because of the rattles, haven t had an issue since!
Old 08-31-10, 07:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

i have the sun roof rattle. every time i shut my door i get this deep rattle. if i put my hand on the rear right corner of the glass there is no noise
Old 08-31-10, 07:56 PM
bigblack06
Forum Moderator

Received 327 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
This is what I was planning on doing when ever I get to it. This way you can run a full strip across and not see anything. Also when its open you wont have an odd shape to cause wind noises when on the xpressway.

example
it looks to thin I had tried thinner piece it didn't work, then I upgraded to something bigger, you might want to try thicker!
Old 09-01-10, 05:09 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks! I havent had time to mess with this.

Mine is the wind deflector that is causing the noise on my car. I can put my hand on that only and it goes away.