GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

F-Sport Parts on Leased GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 12:03 AM
808LexGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Parts on Leased GS

I have a couple questions regarding installing F-Sport accessories to my new GS.

I know it doesn't void the factory warranty b/c F-Sport parts are Genuine Lexus replacement parts and can be installed by the dealer.

But, my question is when my lease is up, do I need to re-install the stock parts? Or can I just turn in the vehicle as is if I decide it is not worth trying to remove the F-Sport parts and sell them on their own?

I had a chance to drive a 2010 GS 350 RWD with all the F-Sport parts except for the wheels the other day and it was a blast to drive. It was quicker than the stock GS (given) and handled great with the springs and sway bars. I also loved the sound and look of the exhaust.

The first few mods I am planning are doing are:
- Tint
- Lexus Japan side visors
- Rear roof spoiler
- F-Sport springs
Old 07-27-10, 05:15 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leased GS

The F-Sports products are not going to add anything to the residual, so therefore it only drives up the price of the vehicle for the dealer's sale and increases your lease payment and any mods you do will just be more money out of pocket. To me that would be like having a Hertz rental car detailed and other out of pocket expenses that you throw away at the end of the lease. Lease is just another word for renting. The owner of the car is and always will be either Lexus or some other leasing company. You forfeit anything that can not be removed from the vehicle and resold or used another vehicle.
Old 07-27-10, 06:11 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808LexGS
I have a couple questions regarding installing F-Sport accessories to my new GS.

I know it doesn't void the factory warranty b/c F-Sport parts are Genuine Lexus replacement parts and can be installed by the dealer.

But, my question is when my lease is up, do I need to re-install the stock parts? Or can I just turn in the vehicle as is if I decide it is not worth trying to remove the F-Sport parts and sell them on their own?

I had a chance to drive a 2010 GS 350 RWD with all the F-Sport parts except for the wheels the other day and it was a blast to drive. It was quicker than the stock GS (given) and handled great with the springs and sway bars. I also loved the sound and look of the exhaust.

The first few mods I am planning are doing are:
- Tint
- Lexus Japan side visors
- Rear roof spoiler
- F-Sport springs
You should ask the dealer this question, but I would guess they don't care. They may have a problem with the visors and the roof spoiler since those are unusual and typically not offered by the dealership. F-Sport parts and the tint are the kind of things that might be on a car when it was delivered to you when you bought it so they probably won't think twice about that. Check with dealer.
Old 07-27-10, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

adding fsport parts is nothing different from adding aftermarket parts, value wise, toward the end of your lease. lexus will NOT give you more money for the parts you put on. so definitely swap them back out and sell the parts independently.

keep in mind, your lease contract on your gs is already set and signed, all numbers are fixed. whatever you add to your car now they won't be on the contract. lexus doesn't owe you anything when you return the car
Old 07-27-10, 09:50 AM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the comments below. You certainly wouldn't get anything for leaving the parts on, but they might have a problem with the vehicle not being returned in stock condition. The market for a GS with aftermarket springs is going to be a lot smaller than one without. Ask specific questions, and get it in writing.
Old 07-27-10, 11:15 AM
808LexGS
Driver

Thanks for your advice guys. I figure since I'll be driving the car for 3 years and the prices for some of the mods I want to do aren't too expensive that I'll just have them put on and put the car back to stock when I return it.

I will let you guys know what the dealer says.
Old 07-27-10, 12:05 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't really understand leasing let alone leasing and then modding it!

Was was previously said about Hertz is bang on, it's just like a long term rental car.
Old 07-27-10, 01:05 PM
808LexGS
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

Was was previously said about Hertz is bang on, it's just like a long term rental car.
That's how I felt about leasing before I understood how it works.
These aren't major modifications so I won't have any regret doing it.

Leasing is paying for only what you use of the value of the vehicle. If you are a person who likes to change vehicles every few years it's great b/c you don't have to worry about selling the car and when you do buy the vehicle instead of leasing, you are usually upside down until the last year or so which about 4 years down the line depending how long you finance for.
Old 07-27-10, 01:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay

for people changing cars every few years and like to have newer cars, lease might make sense
Old 07-27-10, 01:25 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 808LexGS
That's how I felt about leasing before I understood how it works.
These aren't major modifications so I won't have any regret doing it.

Leasing is paying for only what you use of the value of the vehicle. If you are a person who likes to change vehicles every few years it's great b/c you don't have to worry about selling the car and when you do buy the vehicle instead of leasing, you are usually upside down until the last year or so which about 4 years down the line depending how long you finance for.
I'm a pretty cheap guy. The only new vehicle I've ever bought was my motorcycle, and that was just because they don't really depreciate the same as cars.

That being said, I tend to buy cars that are a few years old and drive them until they're hunks of junk. I don't spend much time in fashion, it just costs way too much. :P
Old 07-27-10, 10:08 PM
LexFather

Great answers in here. Nothing to add but good luck!
Old 08-15-10, 11:16 AM
nveddy
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just returned a leased IS and got 2010 GS and on my IS (White color) i had Tint(5% on the back, 35% on the front), i had painted brake calipers(red) and 20' wheels. when it was time to return the lease they didnt care for the tint and the painted calipers but they did ask me to get the stock wheels and tires back on. I had them in my garage:-), and they also gave me 1,500.00 for the new lease.