GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tires /quick help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 05:46 PM
LB23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires /quick help

Man, it sucks being a newbie and come in here with a newbie question, but what the heck?

I am here cause the other lexus forum I suscribed, has no action, damn, that site is slooow. Its seems here is quite the contrary. So here`s the deal:

I need to replace my tires ASAP, car is the 06 GS300 AWD.

Went to tirerack.com , when I chose the tires, it gave me this warning:

Important Notes:
"OE Dunlop SP5000M DSST CTT has a very large OD (27.1) appearance compared to 225/50-17 tires (25.9). The OE Dunlop tire uses CTT technology, that conforms the tread to 25.9 under static load. Replacing Dunlop with other 225/50-17 tires will look shorter, but are proper OD for vehicle electronics. Using larger OD tires to match Dunlop cosmetically will have adverse effects on vehicle electronics"

What does that mean? I am not buying the OE Dunlops. I am buying the same size thou, 225/50 R17.
Can I buy whatever brand with no problem? WHy the warning then?

Also, looking at the manual

"When replacing the tires and wheels, be sure to install tire
pressure warning valves and transmitters. ID codes on the tire
pressure warning valves and transmitters are registered on the
tire pressure warning ECU. When replacing a tire pressure
warning valve and transmitter, it is necessary to register the ID
code of tire pressure warning valve and transmitter. Have the
ID code registered by your Lexus dealer."

Where do I get the pressure warning valves and trasmitters?
How do I register that ID code? I am not talking it to a dealer
I have all these questions cause its my first time with a TPMS, so
I would like to know what to do, what`s the procedure.

If I put 225/55`s, will they rub the fenders?

Helpful posts will be appreciated, thanks !
Old 07-29-10, 07:52 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires/help

If you are staying with the same rims, nothing needs to be done with the TPMS. If you are changing rims, transfer the TPMS monitors from the existing rims to the new rims. That does not require any reprogramming. If you are changing tire size it can cause a difference in your speedometer reading. If the change is minor no big deal. If you or a friend has a portable GPS, such as Garmin, take it for a ride and the garmin will show your exact speed and you can compare that to your speedometer to see the difference. If and when you need new TPMS monitors, they due need to be registered into the computer or the TPMS light on the instrument panel will always be on. There are plenty of places that can program them without going to a dealer, but there is a fee for each one and it can vary from one place to another. Rates I have seen range from 16 to 25 dollars. Do not know about the tires rubbing on that given size. I have a Lexus GS 350 and a Toyota and the speedometer with the OEM tires on each shows that I am going one mile per hour slower than the speedometer shows. Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-29-10, 09:14 PM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by Valley101
If you are staying with the same rims, nothing needs to be done with the TPMS. If you are changing rims, transfer the TPMS monitors from the existing rims to the new rims. That does not require any reprogramming. If you are changing tire size it can cause a difference in your speedometer reading. If the change is minor no big deal. If you or a friend has a portable GPS, such as Garmin, take it for a ride and the garmin will show your exact speed and you can compare that to your speedometer to see the difference. If and when you need new TPMS monitors, they due need to be registered into the computer or the TPMS light on the instrument panel will always be on. There are plenty of places that can program them without going to a dealer, but there is a fee for each one and it can vary from one place to another. Rates I have seen range from 16 to 25 dollars. Do not know about the tires rubbing on that given size. I have a Lexus GS 350 and a Toyota and the speedometer with the OEM tires on each shows that I am going one mile per hour slower than the speedometer shows. Hope this helps a little.
All right, yeah it helps a little, thanks.
Ok now I know that if I only change the tires, no prob, no need to buy new transmitters and pressure warning valves, they are located in the rims. Where exactly?

Which places program them? What kind of equipment do they need to have?
Right now I have a low tire warning, I did set them at 33psi. And the tire warning isn`t gone. I reseted the warning with the button under the steering wheel, but to no avail. Maybe they were never registered into the computer.

Car has a new set of tires right now, not the originals, and they are a tad taller.
How do I know if any sensor is damaged? How do they look like?

And no, I am not changing tire size, as a matter of fact, I am going back to the OEM size. Thats why I am asking why in tirerack it says this:

"OE Dunlop SP5000M DSST CTT has a very large OD (27.1) appearance compared to 225/50-17 tires (25.9). The OE Dunlop tire uses CTT technology, that conforms the tread to 25.9 under static load. Replacing Dunlop with other 225/50-17 tires will look shorter, but are proper OD for vehicle electronics. Using larger OD tires to match Dunlop cosmetically will have adverse effects on vehicle electronics"
Old 08-01-10, 03:44 PM
LB23
Driver

Guys, these are photos of my rims
3 rims have the black rubber valve, and one has the aluminum valve
So am I right thinking that I only have one OEM TPMS valve?

Can I buy those sensors/valve at tirerack.com?
Like here

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...rand&dtab=TPMS

Your system includes:

315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$360.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $360.00

Will those work? Is that a good price? Or can I buy OEM at a betterprice?
Attached Thumbnails Tires /quick help-01082010431.jpg   Tires /quick help-01082010432.jpg  
Old 08-01-10, 05:26 PM
LB23
Driver

Ok now I`ve found OEM sensors at $140 the set of 4.
Is that cool or where can I have them at a lower price?

This vehicle , which of the two procedures recommends?

Dismount tires from a vehicle with a sensor IN PLACE or REMOVED?
Which of those two applies to this lexus? Someone knows?

ATEQ TPM QUICKSET RESET TOOL

Needed to reset sensors if performing installation yourself of a Tire & Wheel Package
Resets TPMS when replacing sensors or swapping tire sets
Tire rotation tracking and recording
Perfect for the track, too

With this tool, can I do it myself? The programming that is......