GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Are these rotors any good ? (OEM size cross drilled or slotted or both thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 06:59 AM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, You guys really push these cars, no wonder I feel like my stock brakes are really good. I am always afraid to evan mildly hit the breaks very hard. I am always afraid the heat will warp my rotors and I hate buying rotors. I guess I think the warping is from getting the rotors too hot, is this true? I even worry about doing a mild stop to make a turn an then going through a puddle is going to warp them. I have just had a few warped rotors in the past and it sucks. I do have to say that I did notice a hge difference when I got rid of the high friction pads that were stock on the 3gs and went with the low dust pads offered buy the TSB. I hated cleaning the rims every other day. I might go back to them after these wear out, Ahh ****, I can't, they changed the rotors to match the new pads.

Doesn't anyone have anyscience that will prove the drilling and slotting either way.
Old 11-24-10, 09:34 AM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnunez2
ouch! you guys keep posting these things. i can also find pics of broken blanks. this guy just showed you. a 300zx tt. like a supra tt A BEAST. needs stopping power. of course slotted rotors have cracked, so have drilled(drilled more). but ive personally never met anyone who has had this happen to them. must be bad engineering. holes drilled to close,too wide,etc..... and by the looks on those rotors pic'd they're ebay noname. basically no engineering,just some blanks scratched and drilled. i guess both fail the test but one actually stops you faster.
The main reason why the blanks may not brake as well as say a slotted one is pad glazing is the only thing that comes to mind. Slotted rotors remove pad glazing which would theoretically improve braking performance given the same situation. I don't see why a drilled rotor would improve any braking performance personally though.
Old 11-24-10, 10:25 AM
LexFather

I think we are now going to the extreme end of things but I guess it is part of the discussion.

For a OEM replacement, a cross drilled, and/or slotted rotor will likely not fail. In regards to Lexus we have done this mod for years and there has not been any mass failures, just the rare issue here and there.

So for most people that want the look its fine.

In regards to all the track posts there are some great posts/pics but tons of variances and the GS in question is not being tracked. Most here with BBK don't track their cars, it is for looks and better resistance to fade.

You could have giant brakes but if the fluid sucks or is contaminated well they will suck.

Many regard Porsche as a leader in brakes and they come very much so drilled and the new Panamera I noticed are slotted.
Old 11-24-10, 11:27 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

they look good, and they do what they are supposed to do. thats it. maybe not the worlds biggest differance.but its there. and it looks niiice
Old 11-24-10, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think we are now going to the extreme end of things but I guess it is part of the discussion.

For a OEM replacement, a cross drilled, and/or slotted rotor will likely not fail. In regards to Lexus we have done this mod for years and there has not been any mass failures, just the rare issue here and there.

So for most people that want the look its fine.

In regards to all the track posts there are some great posts/pics but tons of variances and the GS in question is not being tracked. Most here with BBK don't track their cars, it is for looks and better resistance to fade.

You could have giant brakes but if the fluid sucks or is contaminated well they will suck.

Many regard Porsche as a leader in brakes and they come very much so drilled and the new Panamera I noticed are slotted.
no doubt. for most of the people here, blank or slotted/drilled won't make much of a difference, their cars will drive just fine for years to come. however, saying slotted/drilled are better, that's a different story, something i don't necessarily agree. they look good for sure.

see, this is coming from a guy who has had full scale bbk on all his cars
Old 11-26-10, 06:07 AM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
no doubt. for most of the people here, blank or slotted/drilled won't make much of a difference, their cars will drive just fine for years to come. however, saying slotted/drilled are better, that's a different story, something i don't necessarily agree. they look good for sure.

see, this is coming from a guy who has had full scale bbk on all his cars
im sorry what is bbk? coming from a guy who just sold his s14 sr20det and had them. they do work. btw i slid my gs yesterday for a sec. huge body roll. only slides if you take off the traction button. but seems like it would slide for days.
Old 11-26-10, 08:05 AM
LexFather

BBK=
Big
Brake
Kit

Old 08-02-11, 06:48 PM
LexFather

Okay so as I stated not going with BBK. I rather a OEM size drilled rotor(s) F & R. Sewell and Carson don't seem to carry them so looks like its the e-bay route.

Seems you can get all 4 and pads for around $260-$360 on ebay which is hell of a lot cheaper than anywhere else, just it seems they all come from Cali, not sure why I can't find any company to sell them at a reasonable price closer.

Any other pics can people post of their setup? Thanks

Mike
Old 08-02-11, 07:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

mike you don't want a set of nice project u brakes?
Old 08-02-11, 09:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
mike you don't want a set of nice project u brakes?
cough cough, check e-mail cough cough
Old 08-02-11, 11:58 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 468 Likes on 290 Posts

I have them and very happy with them! Rotors are same as OEM, only look better! I was more disapointed in the OEM pads than anything else, so when the dealer decided to replace my front pads and rotors, I had the drilled ones removed.

I plan on putting them back on when the pads are due, and couple them with Stoptech pads I have on standby!