GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Are these rotors any good ? (OEM size cross drilled or slotted or both thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 07:35 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are these rotors any good ? (OEM size cross drilled or slotted or both thread)

Just wondering if these rotors are any good...I need to replace my rusty rotors very soon, Any suggestions ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-30-10, 08:16 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like just Centric rotors (which are not supposed to be too bad) that they might have machined some extra BS slots into. Price is not that good I think you can just buy the plain centric rotors that are unmolested for less elsewhere.

Are you replacing rotors just because they're rusty? If so, don't bother because the new ones will be rusty the day after you put them on anyway.
Old 07-30-10, 08:51 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

I got about 52,000 miles... My rotors are rusted like a **** and I am getting a wierd poping noise everytime i brake or removed my foot off the brakes. If I let my foot of the brake really slow, it makes a nasty grinding noise as if my brakes were wet or if they had tire shine sprayed onto them. This noise sounds like my old 2003 honda accord coupe...

I bought new brakes to replace the dustless ones but they gave me the old OEM brakes... What should i do ?
Old 07-30-10, 08:55 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crossdrilled/slotted rotors do not do anything, in fact, they’re worse. Stick with the blanks. Brembo makes a very nice blank rotor.
Old 07-30-10, 09:13 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that cross drilled and slotted rotors are a waste of time. They're for fashion victims. Blank rotors work better.
Old 07-30-10, 09:16 AM
3GS404
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Crossdrilled/slotted rotors do not do anything, in fact, they’re worse. Stick with the blanks. Brembo makes a very nice blank rotor.
Uh is that's right bro??? coz all the racing cars come w/cross/drill rotors though? correct me if i'm wrong here thanks
Old 07-30-10, 09:23 AM
ASILVER
Driver

proper vented rotors do improve braking, however, this is NOT a race car, this isn't even a sportscar, it's a 4 door luxury sedan and for that, the comments are correct, there's just no point in doing slotted or drilled rotors you'll never notice a difference except the placebo effect of thinking it's better.

to get a little technical, slotted or drilled rotors were originally conceived to allow the brake pad gasses to more easily escape the rotor surface allowing better braking.

you will probably see a better improvement in braking by getting better pads on the existing rotors....lastly, rotors do rust, it's a fact of life, just because there's rust however doesn't mean they are junk....unless you are saying they are rusted shut.

if you have surfaces on your rotor that do not come in contact with the pad you can use hi temp paint to paint the surface it will prevent surface rust from forming.
Old 07-30-10, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GS404
Uh is that's right bro??? coz all the racing cars come w/cross/drill rotors though? correct me if i'm wrong here thanks
bbks (ap racing, brembo, stoptech, endless, project u, etc...) they come with drilled / slotted rotors coz' of reasons asilver mentioned. but they have to be carefully designed and tested to be effective. and like he said, it's mostly useful only when it's on the track when it's under extreme use.

a lot of the so called drilled / slotted rotors (just rotors) out there, they are nothing but cosmetic and probably only little research goes into them. they are nothing but cosmetic, functionally they don't add any values.

i always tell people, if they want better performance, get good rotors (brembo blank is pretty good) and good pads. that's your best bet. rust is never a problem. like asilver said, the part that doesn't touch the pad, you can just paint it if you want
Old 07-30-10, 10:18 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why do u need rotors with stock wheels
Old 07-30-10, 10:32 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so I should buy a blank Rotor. Do you think my rotors is whats causing the issue with my brakes ? Or do I need new brake fluid ? I know there is any issue with either the pads or rotors themselves... Someones got to have the same issue as me...
Old 07-30-10, 10:50 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3GS404
Skip to post 34. This should help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-99-gs3-3.html
Old 07-30-10, 05:26 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drilled and slotted rotors help out a lot in emergency braking, personal experience. I am actually changing out my rotors for drilled and slotted because i am tired of having brake fade. Now what i suggest for you to do, Buy new rotors (drilled and slotted if you brake hard) blanks and get some akebono brake pads. It will stop good, no noise, and no dust. Simple easie way out. (keep in mind gs350 is not a race car but for 301 horsepower and almost 4,000 lbs its pretty hard to stop it in emergency cases where you would be going a 100 and someone cuts you off)
Old 08-02-10, 04:41 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Drilled and slotted rotors help out a lot in emergency braking, personal experience. I am actually changing out my rotors for drilled and slotted because i am tired of having brake fade. Now what i suggest for you to do, Buy new rotors (drilled and slotted if you brake hard) blanks and get some akebono brake pads. It will stop good, no noise, and no dust. Simple easie way out. (keep in mind gs350 is not a race car but for 301 horsepower and almost 4,000 lbs its pretty hard to stop it in emergency cases where you would be going a 100 and someone cuts you off)
Again, no one listen to this advice.

Drilled/Slotted rotors does nothing except take away material that's there to dissipate heat, which is the main objective of your rotors.

If you have and hate fade, get better pads. That not good enough? Get bigger calipers and rotors. That not good enough? Too bad.

Don't believe me? Baer, a company that specializes in brakes has this to say on their site.

http://www.baer.com/technical/faq/index.php

In years past, cross-drilling and/or slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads began to break down at extreme temperatures. This condition is often referred to as "green pad fade" or "outgassing". When it does occur, the driver still has a good firm brake pedal, but simply little or no friction. Since this normally happens only at temperatures witnessed in racing, this can be very exciting! However, with today´s race pad technology, “outgassing” is no longer much of a concern. When shopping for races pads, or even ultra high performance road pads, look for the phrases, "dynamic surface treatment", "race ready", and/or, "pre-burnished". When these or similar statements are made by the pad manufacturer, the pad in question will likely have little or no problem with “outgassing”. Ironically more pedestrian pads used on most streetcars will still exhibit “outgassing”, but only when used at temperatures normally only encountered on the racetrack. Although cross-drilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs. Cross-drilling offers the greatest gas relief pathway, but creates potential "stress risers" from which cracks can occur. Baer´s rotors are cast with cross-drilling in mind, from the material specified, to curved vanes, behind which the holes are placed to minimize potential crack migration. Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use. Slotted only rotors are offered as an option for any of Baer’s offerings.
Old 08-02-10, 11:26 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't u read exactly what you have posted above for you're self and then let me know if Slotted and drilled rotors help remove gas and cool down faster. Maybe you want to answer why does the biggest and best BBK company brembo uses drilled and slotted rotors, or why does a top manufacters use drilled rotors, Mercedes, BMW,aston martin,etc ect. Because its cools down the rotors and you don't have brake fade. One think i do agree on is YES brake pads make a difference, but not only will brake pads will be needed so will the rotors,brake lines, racing high heat brake fluid, and racing brake pads. They all make a dramatic difference when it comes down to that.
Old 08-03-10, 06:55 PM
chauss
Driver

Differences In Material
A drilled rotor has less metal content than a slotted rotor. The holes in the rotor help to get rid of excess water in the rotor when driving in the rain. When less metal is used in the construction of a rotor, it has less stopping power than a rotor with more metal content in its construction. Slotted rotors have more metal than a drilled rotor. Slotted rotors are more efficient at moving water away from the rotor when it rains. Slots also help to keep your brake pads clear of debris.

Slotted Rotor Advantages
A slotted rotor has approximately twice the life of a stock rotor. The design of the slotted rotor does this by expelling excess heat out of the slots even during excessive braking. This cuts down of the wear of the rotor. When slotted rotors are used, a car will have a smoother and shorter stopping distance when braking than a drilled rotor due to its heavier weight.

Drilled Rotor Advantages
Rotors which are cross drilled can expel more heat than a stock rotor but not as much as a slotted rotor. The unique spacing of the drilled holes in the rotor gives the drilled rotor better weight distribution than a slotted rotor. The lighter construction of the rotor means that it will stop later than slotted rotor due to its lighter weight.
Braking Distance
Both slotted and drilled rotors result in a shorter stopping distance. Aftermarket rotors are less prone to failure than stock rotors and carry their own warranties.

Considerations
Neither drilled rotors or slotted rotors are necessary to add to your vehicle. They are used by people who wish to have improved performance and are often used in racing and other motor sports. Drilled or slotted rotors should be used when a shorter braking distance is desired and cannot be achieved with the stock rotors on your vehicle

Quick Reply: Are these rotors any good ? (OEM size cross drilled or slotted or both thread)