GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Suggestions for mounting DX in 3GS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10 | 10:40 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Question Suggestions for mounting DX in 3GS?

Just got Droid X a few days ago. Speechless!!! But that is not a point of the post, nor do I want to start a flame with iPhone fans This is a general question to 3GS users who use their smart phones for navigation (such as Google app).

So, I need to figure out how to mount the unit in my 3GS to use for navigation. I hate those bulky window suction cups, which is one of the OEM options as well as some after market alternative cheaper solution. Beanie bag mounting solution is not good either. What I came across are SoundGate M2 (German engineered M2 link, actually its $10 shipped with "woot" coupon code or from Amazon or eBay under $10) and Tetrax XWay (Italian engineered XWay link, will be about $40 shipped). M2 will require mounting bracket to be sticky-taped to the dash, while XWay secures in dashboard air vent. Both will need a small metal disk to be stuck on the back of the phone to either hold it in locking mechanism (M2) or strong earth magnet (XWay). I was thinking this could be done to the left of the steering wheel for a better reach, in the corner of dashboard for M2 or using left vent for XWay. XWay seems to be a cleaner install since it holds in the vent, and can be easily removed or moved to another car. Also during the winter I can shut the vent off so no extra heat is blowing in the back of my phone if I'm using it.

What do you guys think? Anybody using any of these or can you recommend something alternative instead?

Thanks!