GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XenonDepot HID Fogs - left light is out

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 07:23 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XenonDepot HID Fogs - left light is out

My left fog light is no longer lighting up. I didn't install it myself but had an independent Lexus tech do it. I watched the install step by step and specified exactly where I wanted everything mounted and it looked pretty tight.

It went out last night (was working when I got home at 6pm but not working when I got home from dinner at 9pm). The conditions were dry.

The fogs are fairly new. I got them at the end of April or early May.

I don't want to go through warranty process because it will be time consuming and take 2 trips to the install guy. I'm either going to check the connections myself, or go buy a new set and have them installed by someone who will warranty parts and labor.

I understand the only thing I need to reach the fogs is remove the clips (I can do that) and remove the hex bolts (what tool do I need for this)?
Old 08-13-10, 07:27 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

all you need to do is turn you wheel all the way in and there are 2 flat head plastic clips, turn then and then pop them out. Once you do this you will be able to push the plastic liner back to reach everything. There isnt anything else you need to remove to access the bulb. I would check the connection and also take the good bulb and place it on the driver side to make sure it fires up. Its probably the bulb but best way to find out is take the side you know that is working and place the one that is not lighting up on that side to see if it fires up. I think I posted a DIY thread in the FAQ that shows the fender liner and how to access. If not let me know as I'm sure I have some pics somewhere.
Old 08-13-10, 09:00 AM
whise
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem but it's my right side that is out.
Old 08-13-10, 02:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure what component it was. I have a suitable wrench in my toolbox to remove the hex bolt and didn't want to spend a ton of time on this, so I just stopped by the local car electronics shop and had them replaced with another set of 6K HIDs for $125.

My sense is the XD ones were a little brighter and slightly better color match to the Philips Ultinon (but they are both close to 6K). Even though I'm disappointed one of them failed, I did think they were top quality in terms of performance.

I'm going to send the XD kit back for warranty repair. May reinstall it if the new ones fail. Good to have a spare set.
Old 08-13-10, 09:39 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Something strange I've been remembering..... I replace the old and power hungry halogen light only once on my 10 years old car. But HID, I replace them almost once every year. Isn't HID suppose to last longer???
Old 08-13-10, 11:23 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Those that had problems, did you get the Xtreme (more expensive) Xenondepot kit or the cheaper Volt one? So far no problems with my Xtreme kit.
Old 08-13-10, 11:24 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
Something strange I've been remembering..... I replace the old and power hungry halogen light only once on my 10 years old car. But HID, I replace them almost once every year. Isn't HID suppose to last longer???
If you buy a quality set.
Old 08-14-10, 07:28 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I got the volt kit. That may be the problem. Although Steve said there isn't a difference in the warranty claim rate. Remember the volt kit is also twice the price of the cheaper kits and three times the price of the cheapest kits.

Haven't had an issue with the extreme kit in the other car - but again that's only been in place since Feb and this one since May so neither should have had issues. Probably just bad luck. That said if it happens again, I may go back to halogens.
Old 08-14-10, 10:03 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vuiskool
If you buy a quality set.
that too. (gee CL don't like short reply so now I have to write a butt load of crab to make my message longer... I hope this is enough... oh well just to make sure it's enough so I throw in a few more butt load of shisht...........ok ok... enough)