GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Asanti wheels peeling

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 09:44 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This tends to happen when painting on chrome, there is nothing abrasive to help the paint "cling" on to. Good luck with getting the dealer to fix it, but calling Asanti straight up and trying to have them fix it might be a mission as well. They usually deal through a network of wholesalers and retailers due to their big chain of wheels.

For 8k or even 7k, I would expect some very exotic looking stuff. Most 3 piece forged wheels retail for around 4k/set.
Old 08-14-10, 04:03 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry to hear. I've said for years Asanti is simply overpriced bling crap no matter their price. THey have a great marketing team and their buyers usually don't know squat about cars but they have money to burn.

I would contact Asanti directly and explain to them the issue, they may do a goodwill adjustment or something. Also put some pressure on the seller that if they don't assist you then you will put them on blast for not backing up a product they sell.

Not even a 1 year warrenty? What does your paperwork say?
This may not be funny to some people but I consider Asanti to be the ghetto brand of high end wheels.
Old 08-14-10, 11:50 AM
DaBeast
Driver

Contact Asanti and ask for Sergio explain to him that your paint is peeling and it started shortly after purchase. Sergio is the owner and if you contact him and talk to him reasonably he is a pretty reasonable guy and does what he can. Usually the paint warranty is only a year sometimes it's two. But try that and see what happens it's your best bet.
Old 08-14-10, 02:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am thinking that the paint is peeling because its painted on a chrome surface. I dont think the paint will adhere as well to a surface like that
Old 08-14-10, 02:31 PM
masterchri
Pole Position

8K for rims kinda burns man! especially to find out that the paint started to peel? fight for that refund or at least a fix!
Old 08-14-10, 02:37 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am thinking that the paint is peeling because its painted on a chrome surface. I dont think the paint will adhere as well to a surface like that
You don't think the surface was prepared before the paint was applied? That's dumb.
Instead, I think it wasn't properly sealed after the paint was applied. Or the paint wasn't mixed with a flex agent. Or some other short cut.
Old 08-15-10, 12:55 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
This tends to happen when painting on chrome, there is nothing abrasive to help the paint "cling" on to. Good luck with getting the dealer to fix it, but calling Asanti straight up and trying to have them fix it might be a mission as well. They usually deal through a network of wholesalers and retailers due to their big chain of wheels.

For 8k or even 7k, I would expect some very exotic looking stuff. Most 3 piece forged wheels retail for around 4k/set.
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Refer to my quote.

Originally Posted by Ice350
You don't think the surface was prepared before the paint was applied? That's dumb.
Instead, I think it wasn't properly sealed after the paint was applied. Or the paint wasn't mixed with a flex agent. Or some other short cut.
Chrome, no. Usually they tape it up as well as they can and paint over the chrome. To prep it, sanding might damage the chrome that isn't getting painted. As for being sealed, usually chrome is not painted over due to the fact that clear gets yellow over time. And even if they were to seal only the painted parts, it wouldn't do much for where it started peel, which is usually where the chrome and paint meets.

At the end, this just tends to happen sometimes. As for fixing it, it should have been done ASAP due the dealer and then refunded back by the head company.
Old 08-15-10, 06:39 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate the feedback, they did paint over the chrome and from what I understand is that paint doesn t like to chemically adhere to it so its whatever!
Old 08-15-10, 06:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
I appreciate the feedback, they did paint over the chrome and from what I understand is that paint doesn t like to chemically adhere to it so its whatever!
Asanti should be selling a quality product and a solution should be offered. Maybe google to see if other people are having this same issue with their painted wheels? It just might not be an isolated incident.

Hell I googled quickly and found tons of links

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...wheels+peeling
Old 08-15-10, 07:47 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would NEVER recommend painting over chrome. It's like trying to make paint stick to glass; it never works well for very long.

All things being equal, OP got lucky. Usually Asantis peel (chrome) at the wheel bead area, causing the tires to leak. Gone unchecked, this leads to driving on a tire with 10 psi of air and destroying the tire (tire pressure sensors will give you early warning for you 3GS guys).

My guess: Asanti will send you some touch-up paint.
Old 08-15-10, 08:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's astonishing. Mike's search shows that this is really common. If you do this same search with Vossen or any of the other high end wheel companies then there are no complaints.

Nobody should buy Asanti again.
Old 08-15-10, 09:07 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
It's astonishing. Mike's search shows that this is really common. If you do this same search with Vossen or any of the other high end wheel companies then there are no complaints.

Highway robbery too for the prices they charge.
Old 08-15-10, 09:13 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i remember when i got my asanti wheels, my rim guy told me about leakin and all the other issues come with asanti but i went with it because of asanti name(wanted that bling),,,luckily i never had any issues with them but i heard some horror stories from my friends,,,far as paint chips goes in my case i end up taking all the chrome off and paint the whole face,,,i seen paint chip on every rim such as nc forged and hre, difference is u can call them and they will take care of it,,,well, u know asanti doesnt deal with public,,,ur best bet is take it to the paint shop and buff the chrome out and paint them over again,,,lkapimp216, sorry to hear all the troubles man,,,

here some pics of mine and one of my friend's old 7 with asanti where he got rid off due to leakin issues,,,

Old 08-15-10, 09:15 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing like the quality of OEM Lexus wheels. You can't beat those.
Old 08-15-10, 09:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I would NEVER recommend painting over chrome. It's like trying to make paint stick to glass; it never works well for very long.

All things being equal, OP got lucky. Usually Asantis peel (chrome) at the wheel bead area, causing the tires to leak. Gone unchecked, this leads to driving on a tire with 10 psi of air and destroying the tire (tire pressure sensors will give you early warning for you 3GS guys).

My guess: Asanti will send you some touch-up paint.
^ Bob is an O.G wheel legend from HRE to Zone etc. Thanks for dropping in.

Originally Posted by batman75

Its amazing isn't it. I took a few minutes to snoop around other forums and go to multiple links and its pretty widespread.

O.P good luck, you spent your hard earned money and you should get this resolved!!!

Quick Reply: Asanti wheels peeling