GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Asanti wheels peeling

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 02:10 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess people don't like to read what I've posted. No need to do a search, it should be common knowledge.
Old 08-16-10, 02:27 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
I guess people don't like to read what I've posted. No need to do a search, it should be common knowledge.
What you said makes a lot of sense but I have successfully painted over chrome without peeling. You just tape over the part you don't want prepped and hand sand with mild grit sandpaper, then clean thoroughly with alcohol. Then a light coat of primer and you should have no propblems. The problem is this is all hand work that reqires patience and hours of work.
That's the problem. These wheel companies are prolly in a hurry because everyone is trying to maximise the dollar while minimizing how much effort they put in to it.
Old 08-16-10, 04:30 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
You were a 100% correct, I talked to my wheel guy today and he told me that one way or the other my issue would be resolved I ll keep everyone updated. I m taking the wheels back hopefully at the end of the week my car is in the body shop for some warranty work. Its never ending with this car,kids on bikes, shops chipping doors,breaking a/c vents, car detailers leaving orbital swirls in paint and having to sue them, hitting bumps with the wheel turned and clipping fenders i just had painted, scratching headrest monitors it is never ending!!!!!! Oh well I am almost healed up from my bike accident in June and will be able to ride my new GSXR 1000 this week and Im off to South Beach next week, maybe someone will steal my wheels
Old 08-16-10, 05:19 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lkapimp216
You were a 100% correct, I talked to my wheel guy today and he told me that one way or the other my issue would be resolved I ll keep everyone updated. I m taking the wheels back hopefully at the end of the week my car is in the body shop for some warranty work. Its never ending with this car,kids on bikes, shops chipping doors,breaking a/c vents, car detailers leaving orbital swirls in paint and having to sue them, hitting bumps with the wheel turned and clipping fenders i just had painted, scratching headrest monitors it is never ending!!!!!! Oh well I am almost healed up from my bike accident in June and will be able to ride my new GSXR 1000 this week and Im off to South Beach next week, maybe someone will steal my wheels
I feel you on this stuff, its why I try to do what I can by myself. You can never be mad or upset at yourself, just some regret if you screw up. lol
Old 08-16-10, 06:42 PM
TGood
Driver School Candidate

wow, $8K for some wheels? must be nice...
Old 08-16-10, 07:32 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody will steal your wheels in South Beach. What you want to avoid is a part of Miami called Little Haiti. There is a fantastic English Pub called Churchills. Park 2 or 3 blocks away and your wheels are at risk.

Somebody tried to steal my wheels there, and it also happened to a friend as well. They nuts were removed except for the locking nut. We were both driving M3s at the time with stock wheels. It's usually safer in the Churchill's lot, but most of the time I try to get someone else to drive.
Old 08-16-10, 08:12 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

I love my D2's.....................and they are worth the money.
Old 08-16-10, 09:24 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chancellor
Yeah, but you got a basic finish. Brush/clear coat, its hard to f*k that up. lol, ask them for two tone paint and see how much it goes up... or actually I haven't seen too many "exotic" finishes done by them, one being chrome/paint. I've seen polished sides/brushed face and it looks great but besides that nothing to hard to do like painting over chrome.
Old 08-17-10, 02:08 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Chancellor
Definitely nice looking wheels, still over priced. Like I said Im never spending this much on wheels again, and will never buy painted wheels again! I also talked to Asanti yesterday and was told to pretty much go f*** myself. The guy I talked to started to tell me how I can just take them to a bodyshop and have them painted there! Oh okay so I ll turn 8000 dollar wheels into 10,000 dollar wheels, whatever Im going to take flyers to every carshow around with pictures of my f***ed up wheel and quote what Asanti told me!!!!!
Old 08-17-10, 03:55 PM
redwhisky
Driver

That's crazy, man. And, that's a ton of money.

Hopefully, this whole thing goes your way.
Old 08-17-10, 05:07 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely nice looking wheels, still over priced. Like I said Im never spending this much on wheels again, and will never buy painted wheels again! I also talked to Asanti yesterday and was told to pretty much go f*** myself. The guy I talked to started to tell me how I can just take them to a bodyshop and have them painted there! Oh okay so I ll turn 8000 dollar wheels into 10,000 dollar wheels, whatever Im going to take flyers to every carshow around with pictures of my f***ed up wheel and quote what Asanti told me!!!!!
what a way to represent the brand,,,all that marketing and branding really brainwashed people,,when im in cali next time im gonna stop by their office take big dump in their logo,,
Old 08-17-10, 05:49 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LIMS407
what a way to represent the brand,,,all that marketing and branding really brainwashed people,,when im in cali next time im gonna stop by their office take big dump in their logo,,
Awesome take a picture and post it!!!!
Old 08-18-10, 12:38 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Like I've said, Asanti works in like a pyramid now as they are a fairly large wheel company with many branches. They simply don't "need" your business as much as you think. Wheel companies usually have a one year warranty on finishes and limited on hardware and materials. Warranty work is also handled by the dealers of the wheel company, but in some cases the wheel company will handle it themselves. This is due to the volume of wheels/papers coming in and out.

In your case, I would keep giving the dealer **** till they fix it... even if its out of their pockets. They made a NICE chunk of change off you already. If that doesn't work, then bring the wheel to a paint shop and have them paint it. You just need one redone, its not going to kill your pockets. Black is black and that's pretty hard to screw up.
Old 08-18-10, 12:49 PM
4DGS
Driver

The shop I worked at dealt with a lot of high end luxury cars and the go to wheels are Asantis and Lexanis.

Both of those wheel manufactures are a joke, they are terrible wheels. The paint falls off, they bend and crack easily and they never stand by their products. I love some of Laxani's wheels styles right now but I will never buy them or deal with with them again.

Also, don't try to take the wheels apart. They use a custom 11point socket that they WILL NOT give you. Aren't you glad you bought three piece wheels?
Old 08-18-10, 02:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

just spent a few mins to read through the whole thread... i guess most of the topic has been covered already so i will just add my 2 cents.

eric is right, painting over chrome surface is such a bad idea. yes, sanding the surface will help for obvious reasons, to help the paint to bond and stick, but that's a lot of work, and it has to be done very carefully otherwise the painted part won't get smooth enough, and it would suck even more if the sanding part actually got through the chrome into bare metal.

and 8k for a set of asanti? this is just a complete joke. not on the OP of course, i feel bad for him (having to go through these bs), but this is a prime example of a blown up crappy brand. some people buy into brands like these, thinking money means quality, but reality is far from it. it's just like years ago with giovanni wheels, top notch money for some horrific products.

8k for wheels, that's a lot of money, even when it's 22s. great quality wheels from japan, even those usually won't run you that much money. and there are actually a lot of good quality wheels now for much less.

not to mention the kind of customer service (if at all) OP is receiving. that's just unbelievable. i don't see how anyone can remotely stand by this company at all.

on the other hand, i also have to say, factory wheels don't mean they are of best quality. i have also seen a lot of factory wheels with paint issues, peeling paint (even the new isf wheels). fact is these wheels are also made by some other companies.

to OP, my suggestion? sold these wheels and get something else. companies like these aren't worth your time

Quick Reply: Asanti wheels peeling