GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 10:40 AM
808LexGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

I want to install an axle back bolt on exhaust and I am debating between the F- Sport or the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Which one would you guys suggest?

I am on the fence between the two b/c I would save some $$ going with the Tanabe and the other thing is I have not heard how it sounds in person compared with the F-Sport. I have read that the Tanabe is quieter than the F-Sport?

Another question I have is if I should wait until I break in the car a lil bit more? I only have 500 miles on it and my friend suggested I wait till at least 5k miles b/c he thinks I will drive the car a lil harder b/c I'll have exhaust on it (i.e. harder accelerations).
Old 08-16-10, 10:47 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't waste the money on exhaust. You will just pay $1,000 for a loud and shinny sounding muffler. Really doesnt add horsepower at all... If you dont care about money, then go with factory F-sport.

I would waste the money on rims or a lip kit, but thats me...
Old 08-16-10, 01:21 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by ReyRey305
don't waste the money on exhaust. You will just pay $1,000 for a loud and shinny sounding muffler. Really doesnt add horsepower at all... If you dont care about money, then go with factory F-sport.

I would waste the money on rims or a lip kit, but thats me...
Shocking reply! No where in the OP's post did he ever mention he wanted to get an exhaust for performance!!!!!

Love people who just force their opinions on others, even when there is no need to!
Old 08-16-10, 01:31 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

search for F-sport exhaust sound clip on IS350.. should sound pretty similar. heard F-sport in person (is350), sounds nice and sporty under acceleration, bit louder than tanabe imo.. 5k miles is kinda stretching it, no? there are always mixed opinions about break-in period, but mine was 1200..
Old 08-16-10, 01:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808LexGS
I want to install an axle back bolt on exhaust and I am debating between the F- Sport or the Tanabe Medalion Touring. Which one would you guys suggest?

I am on the fence between the two b/c I would save some $$ going with the Tanabe and the other thing is I have not heard how it sounds in person compared with the F-Sport. I have read that the Tanabe is quieter than the F-Sport?

Another question I have is if I should wait until I break in the car a lil bit more? I only have 500 miles on it and my friend suggested I wait till at least 5k miles b/c he thinks I will drive the car a lil harder b/c I'll have exhaust on it (i.e. harder accelerations).
If you search the forum you should find write-ups on both of those exhausts.

I don't have either - I just got tips - because if you're not getting HP gain, and since I don't want more sound, tips provided the looks at a better price.

From what I have read, the F-Sport sounds more aggressive but it does have a bit of an exhaust drone on the highway. The Tanabe is quieter, sounds aggressive in acceleration but has no drone.

There are people here who got F-Sport, found the drone unacceptable, and then got rid of it.
Old 08-16-10, 02:05 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I have the F Sport exhaust, and while I like the aggressive sound, it does drone a bit on the highway. I have never been bothered by it nor have any of my passengers ever commented: "what's that noise?"

From what I have read, the Tanabe does sound a bit more tame and it looks like to doesn't extend from the back of the car as much so if I had to do it over I think I might have gone with the Tanabe.
Old 08-16-10, 03:23 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Originally Posted by batman75
If you search the forum you should find write-ups on both of those exhausts.

I don't have either - I just got tips - because if you're not getting HP gain, and since I don't want more sound, tips provided the looks at a better price.

From what I have read, the F-Sport sounds more aggressive but it does have a bit of an exhaust drone on the highway. The Tanabe is quieter, sounds aggressive in acceleration but has no drone.

There are people here who got F-Sport, found the drone unacceptable, and then got rid of it.
How much were the tips? I'm with you, I'm not a big fan of adding noise to an intentionallyvquiet car, especially if there is no added performance...

Not judging by any means...just my personal preference
Old 08-16-10, 03:29 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KingTX1981
How much were the tips? I'm with you, I'm not a big fan of adding noise to an intentionallyvquiet car, especially if there is no added performance...

Not judging by any means...just my personal preference
Depends on what type of tips you get. You can get good bolt on tips for $50. Mine are weld on and were $150 plus a small charge to weld.

On average you can get great tips for $100.

The best tips are the Wald Tips - but they run around $400 per pair!
Old 08-16-10, 05:12 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Exhaust > Tips

Maybe it's just me, but I like looking at shiny pipes and pans, along with the tip. My "custom" set up is a little bit louder then the Tanabe and quieter then the F-Sport.
Old 08-16-10, 07:36 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

I understand, but personally I wouldn't do anything that may cause warranty questions when you own a Lexus in this period of reliability and quality issues.
Old 08-16-10, 08:06 PM
808LexGS
Driver

Originally Posted by designo
Shocking reply! No where in the OP's post did he ever mention he wanted to get an exhaust for performance!!!!!

Love people who just force their opinions on others, even when there is no need to!
You are absolutely correct. I am not getting the exhaust for performance. It's for looks and a lil bit of sound.

Like ek9vboi said, I also like looking at the shiny pipes and pans.

Regarding warranty issues, I'm not worried at all. It's just a simple bolt on axle back exhaust. Worse comes to worse, I can just put the stock one back on.
Old 08-17-10, 12:15 AM
808LexGS
Driver

Thanks everyone for your input. I will let you guys know which route I will go and post some pics once I do.
Old 08-17-10, 05:48 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

My Lexus dealer clearly told me that by changing out my exhaust ( axle backs and mid pipes, but not manifolds ), suspension, brakes and air intakes.... IT WILL NOT VOID MY 5 YEAR WARRANTY!

So I went ahead and till date, they have been very helpful.
Old 08-17-10, 08:55 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

My Lexus dealer clearly told me that by changing out my exhaust ( axle backs and mid pipes, but not manifolds ), suspension, brakes and air intakes.... IT WILL NOT VOID MY 5 YEAR WARRANTY!

So I went ahead and till date, they have been very helpful.
I have had both my local dealers say that it will cause warranty issues. The US dealers are not very mod friendly.
Old 08-17-10, 08:56 AM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, you wasted money on a shiney tube with annoying sound coming from the rear, LOL... I told him my opinion and I know he did not ask about horsepower genious, I can read.... Now if you don't like my opinion thats fine, dont comment on it, maybe give him your opinion !

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions