GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Auto-headlights drained my battery =(

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 04:29 PM
xmike714x
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happened to me too. i sleep during my lunch in my car and when i woke up to roll up the windows. battery died. had to call road service to get a jump start. so now i just manually do it.
Old 08-20-10, 03:58 PM
haleakala
Driver School Candidate

Same problem on my GS430 began occurring last year. Lights didn't go off (even though they were set to "Auto") when I went to a friend's house. 3 hrs later -- battery was dead and I needed to call for a jump.

Asked Lexus Service to check it and they told me "some button" in the driver's door wasn't moving properly when I opened and closed it, so they replaced the button and all worked well again. (Don't know if "button" is the right term for the part -- but that's the word my service advisor used.)

Last month, the same problem happened again (lights not going off about 30% of the time in "auto" mode). Asked Service to fix the sticky button again. They couldn't replicate the issue so they didn't replace the button. Couple days later it began happening again. I'm video-taping it now when it fails. Will show them on my next service to change out the button again.

Wonder if this part fails more than it should?

My only solution right now is to check my lights when I open the driver's door. If the lights are still on, I have to manually turn it off. Pain in the butt for something "automatic!"
Old 08-20-10, 05:49 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I doubt the switch ("button") itself actually goes bad, like I said before, when you shut the door there is a latch in there that moves to "press" the switch... I think if it's not lubricated enough, it gets stuck and doesn't move all the way.

I think I noticed mine do this once, I sprayed white lithium grease all up inside that latch mechanism and it hasn't happened since. That's not to say that I don't always wait for the lights to turn off before the car is out of my sight. For that reason alone, I want it reprogrammed so they shut off without the 30 second delay... I think I'll remember to ask them to do that the next time the car is in for something and hope they don't bother charging for me something so minor.

Wish these settings were something we could just change ourselves....
Old 08-21-10, 08:39 PM
KingTX1981
Rookie

One trick I've learned with the auto-off is if you press the lock button on your car key after getting out and shutting the door...the lag of the headlight seems to be bypassed, and the lights shut out. (I can't remember if you have to press it once or twice, but it should kill the lights)
Old 08-21-10, 11:44 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KingTX1981
One trick I've learned with the auto-off is if you press the lock button on your car key after getting out and shutting the door...the lag of the headlight seems to be bypassed, and the lights shut out. (I can't remember if you have to press it once or twice, but it should kill the lights)
You have to press it twice. But it feels like you're defeating the whole purpose of the keyless sytem.
Old 09-19-10, 05:10 AM
masterchri
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I doubt the switch ("button") itself actually goes bad, like I said before, when you shut the door there is a latch in there that moves to "press" the switch... I think if it's not lubricated enough, it gets stuck and doesn't move all the way.

I think I noticed mine do this once, I sprayed white lithium grease all up inside that latch mechanism and it hasn't happened since. That's not to say that I don't always wait for the lights to turn off before the car is out of my sight. For that reason alone, I want it reprogrammed so they shut off without the 30 second delay... I think I'll remember to ask them to do that the next time the car is in for something and hope they don't bother charging for me something so minor.

Wish these settings were something we could just change ourselves....

Did a quick search and found this thread.. I don't know if it pertains to the same issue that I am having but, I have been noticing that sometimes when I open the driver door and leave it open, the car starts to think that the "button indicator" on the door is pressed in. So the car thinks that the door is closed.. after a few seconds it thinks that it is open again. In simple terms, its like someone is pressing the indicator button in and out a few times. I wanna take it in for the dealership to check it out but if there is a solution that i could do, i would glady take it up. Im gonna try the grease trick since it might be sticky.. Is this a common problem for the 3gs?
Old 09-19-10, 07:18 AM
cowsgomoo
Pole Position

This has recently started happening to me, it's super duper annoying.

I just turn my lights completely off everytime i leave the car now. Which defeats the purpose of auto...
Old 09-20-10, 02:22 AM
masterchri
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cowsgomoo
This has recently started happening to me, it's super duper annoying.

I just turn my lights completely off everytime i leave the car now. Which defeats the purpose of auto...
at least i know that i am not the only one with this problem.. it is really annoying and its getting to the point where I gonna take it in to the dealership.. i just hope that i could replicate the problem when it is there.. i haven't shot the button down with grease yet but i will soon and report back.
Old 09-20-10, 04:41 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

My drivers door sometimes has a problem but luckily it's problem is not realizing the door is open and not closed. I find that manually pressing it with my finger a few times frees it up again for a good long while though.

At first I thought the LED harness on the door was loose until I realized that the red light also wasn't coming on sometimes (or sometimes flickered) when the door was open, and the "open door" indicator on the dash wouldn't light.

I haven't taken the switch off to lubricate yet but it would probably be a good idea. It looks like it's only held on with one (?) screw.
Old 10-02-10, 04:39 PM
masterchri
Pole Position

So i took off the rubber grommet thing and spray some lube in there.. i honestly dont think that was the problem though since there was already lube when i took it out.. what I found out was that the dome light only turned on after i screwed the grommet back in. I think the issue was with it grounding to something.. i tightened the screw to make sure that it was grounding okay and it hasn't done it to me in over a week..
Old 11-17-11, 10:17 PM
LB23
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
My drivers door sometimes has a problem but luckily it's problem is not realizing the door is open and not closed. I find that manually pressing it with my finger a few times frees it up again for a good long while though.

At first I thought the LED harness on the door was loose until I realized that the red light also wasn't coming on sometimes (or sometimes flickered) when the door was open, and the "open door" indicator on the dash wouldn't light.

I haven't taken the switch off to lubricate yet but it would probably be a good idea. It looks like it's only held on with one (?) screw.
Now I had this auto off feature failed on me, and drained my battery. But after 3 hours I was able to turn on the car and recharge the battery.

But hey, the thing is, what is going on? What do I need to check?

Curiously thou, is that the light on the drivers door now tends to flicker, like it is telling me something is wrong.

Anybody got to to solve this issue after all?
Old 11-18-11, 04:55 PM
LB23
Driver

Nope, it`s all good. After reading this thread, I knew what to look for.

The thing was kinda loose, so I took care of it, no grease was needed.

Everything is ok now, I`ve tried it 3 times today, all good.

That`s why I like forums!