GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

need 60k service advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 10:15 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just looked at 30k check list and its the same as 60k. Use my post above as a reference and tell them you will drive to Ray Catena to get your service done. Didn't realize PA's Lex dealers would be that bad...
Old 09-03-10, 04:26 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
I just looked at 30k check list and its the same as 60k. Use my post above as a reference and tell them you will drive to Ray Catena to get your service done. Didn't realize PA's Lex dealers would be that bad...
Ha! Will do!
Old 09-03-10, 05:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sherwoodgs
i paid $450 at my pocal lexus dealership and they did not change the plugs. from what i saw, it appeared to be an overrated oil change (including cabin filter). i think i'm a sucker for the dealership because they give me free cappuccino at the granite bar....
yup me too....but it feels good to not have to nickel and dime. They get it done right, fast, and I get a brand new loaner to beat the crap out for the day. In my life convenience is worth a lot of money.
Old 09-03-10, 05:41 PM
LexFather

You really only need to drain the brake system fluid if you are going to change to a different level fluid or maybe to a synthetic or fluid for the track or something. Otherwise for normal driving a drain is fine.

It should be done when you change your pads, which might be around the 60k service.

There are also different levels of the major services, I/II/III with one being the bare minimum and cheapest and III being the most around $1200 or so.
Old 09-03-10, 08:38 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
yup me too....but it feels good to not have to nickel and dime. They get it done right, fast, and I get a brand new loaner to beat the crap out for the day. In my life convenience is worth a lot of money.
Sure, call me cheap But we are talking about the same level of convenience you get across different Lexus dealerships while being charged over the top. Example, my 60k service today cost me $177 (that's including 10% discount and also tax). I got my oil changed; check point inspection which they do with every oil check anyway for warranty purposes, and brake fluid drain. I was still offered cappuccino and breakfast. I got HS250h loaner for the whole day - a very fancy toy to play with. And they also washed my GS350. And like I mentioned before, I already ordered from Sewell Lexus and replaced my cabin air filter ($16) and K&N high performance engine filter ($50). Free tire rotation and free alignment is done at local Firestone place where I purchased before my Bridgestone Potenza tires. Oh yeah, and I use Lexus VISA where I ranked up enough points with GS350 and my previous ES350 purchase deposits to earn about 7-8 free oil changes.

The bottom line, you can just come in to dealership and give them a blank signed check to do the service. Or you can do research here in CL and be more educated and come to your service advisor prepared. I'm actually friends with service manager and heard numerous times they make a lot more money servicing our cars in comparison to selling. That is a fact.
Old 09-04-10, 10:16 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I agree, Twister. It's not about being "cheap." If I were cheap, I'd be driving something else. But common sense has to play a part. I'm surpised that even though I spent more than a grand on new tires @ the dealership, they still quote me $30 to have them rotated. That's JV on their part. And almost $700 for the oil change, filter changes, brake drain (and rotation)? Changing the engine filter seems a bit intimidating for me to do, but I think I'm going to have a friend give me a hand.
Old 09-04-10, 10:47 AM
KingTX1981
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I'm with you...I don't think those of you who do it yourself or take it to shops are cheap...I just hate being hassled and having to wonder if the shop I take it to [I]really[I] knows what they are doing. I've moved cross-country 3 times in the past 5 years, and will be moving at least 2 more times in the next 2 years. If I take it to a dealership, I can at least have some level of consistency, AND if there is a problem, Lexus will be accountable (not some random shop).
Old 09-04-10, 01:51 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I've never had anyone but the dealership service any Lexus I've owned. And I always own...cash. But there's a lot one can do with $700, other than the oil change, fluid- check combo. And for what it's worth, there have been plenty of mistakes made by the dealership; some major and some minor. If you're under the impression that Lexus dealerships always hold themselves accountable when they screw up, you're dreaming. It helps that I have a long history with them as a customer.
Old 09-07-10, 08:09 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

^ exactly!!! I'm in the same boat, own Lexus, paid cash. Service only at Lexus and enjoy being treated with "luxury" respect. I did look at the option for additional service items to be done at Toyota dealership next door because I also trust them and been taking my wife's Highlander in there for the last 5 years, and I called them up for a reference. I still got my 60k service done at Lexus dealership. Because I broke it down to what really needs to be done and what could be done as a much cheaper DIY, I didn't have to deal with $700 60k service. I'm not saying what others do is wrong or right. Piece of mind has a hefty price tag and some are willing to pay for it; nothing wrong with that. My intention of this post was just to list other options and perhaps educate a few others since I was in the same boat last week
Old 09-07-10, 09:10 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
I agree, Twister. It's not about being "cheap." If I were cheap, I'd be driving something else. But common sense has to play a part. I'm surpised that even though I spent more than a grand on new tires @ the dealership, they still quote me $30 to have them rotated. That's JV on their part. And almost $700 for the oil change, filter changes, brake drain (and rotation)? Changing the engine filter seems a bit intimidating for me to do, but I think I'm going to have a friend give me a hand.
You really shouldn't feel intimated by this. You'll see that there is really absolutely nothing that you can do wrong (other than put the filter in upside down I guess, but that's easy enough to avoid if you just pay attention). You don't even really need to remove any bolts to do it but you'll probably have an easier time if you remove the one bolt that holds the intake duct to the top of the air box that holds the filter... otherwise it seems like it kind of gets in the way holding it down because it's rather stiff.
Old 09-07-10, 10:40 AM
drewdogg80
Driver

Thanks for the info in this thread. I paid a little over $700 for the 60K on my wife's RX330 and afterwards already knew I wouldn't pay that much again on the other cars (a large chunk was the spark plugs and I now know they're rated for 120K miles according to the service manual). Only did a few items for the 60K on the LX470 and will hit 60K on the GS later this year.
Old 09-24-10, 02:22 PM
LexMont
Driver School Candidate

My dealer, 60K service, $887 estimate... !@#$ dat! Thanks for the info!
Old 09-24-10, 03:22 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good info.

it's not about nickel and diming.
you're still leaving the car with the dealership, so it's not like you're getting 3rd rate service

and changing filters only takes a few minutes. The hourly rate they charge for changing your air filters exceeds the pay of a neurosurgeon. So you'd be wise to change it yourself.

in this case, it's penny wise, pound wise.
Old 10-15-10, 04:41 PM
Baptizer
Driver School Candidate

Good info, guys! My 2006 GS300 has 60k miles and I called the dealer.....$911.00!!! Does anyone know what type of spark plugs the 2006 GS300 has? Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that the spark plugs don't need to be changed until 120k....I am wondering if that would apply to the spark plugs in my model.
Old 10-15-10, 07:18 PM
johnnunez2
Pole Position

whoa!!!!!!!!! im sorry. i guess im cheap. no one asked me. i know. but 800.00 for an, oil change that takes about 30 mins d.i.y and 50.00, and to drain the brake fluid! thats insane. my locall lexus dealer may never ever see me. lol. im sorry but its almost impossible to mess up a brake drain. if you go to any shop,take then the fluid you want to be used im guessing a max of 20.00. theyll probably charge less than 100.00 to do this. on top of that its more convenient if you go get your pads changed.then its easy access for them.basically lexus is a really aggressive rapist....lol. brakes changed,fluid drained,oil changed,even filters changed.should be less than 500.00.im calculating around 240.00 on material. the rest really depends on who you know. i do everything myself. so far only changed the oil.pretty damn easy. next month ill change my brakes, do an oil drain at the same time. and realize how much money i just saved. im not saying its a dumb idea to pay lexus, apparently some of you guys like this luxury feel of giving away money. if any of you are here in s.fl let me know. ill lend you my gs for about 3 hrs. and do this 60k service for you. or you can sit in my house on my couch and watch a 3d movie.ill even go get the movie if you want.lol. j/k.

Quick Reply: need 60k service advice