GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

need 60k service advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 03:27 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question need 60k service advice

My 60k service coming up, taking my 3GS in this Friday. Looked through scheduled maintenance guide and see a listing for a typical oil change ($60 - my dealer’s fee which includes a loaner for a day, continental breakfast, and a free car wash), tire rotation (get it for free from a place where I got my tires), AC filter change (my DIY, OEM $16 from Sewell), engine filter (my DIY, $50 K&N filter I already put in a short while ago), checklist inspection (free anyway with every oil change). So this leaves with spark plugs and brake fluid flush.

I searched CL forum and getting contradicting answers about spark plugs and brake fluid needing to be changed at 120k versus 60k. Should I do it at 60k or wait till 120k? If I choose to do it now, how much should these two services cost from stealership versus outside mechanic shop? I have seen people paying anywhere between $800 to $1k for 60k service which is insane. I just would like to find out what is a typical price for these?
Old 09-01-10, 04:30 PM
sherwoodgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i paid $450 at my pocal lexus dealership and they did not change the plugs. from what i saw, it appeared to be an overrated oil change (including cabin filter). i think i'm a sucker for the dealership because they give me free cappuccino at the granite bar....
Old 09-01-10, 05:04 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I'm actually thinking to get oil change done at Lexus, and than go next door to Toyota dealership to get spark plugs and brake fluid flush. Still curious how much would it cost?
Old 09-02-10, 10:57 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Just got off the phone with a Toyota dealership, actually located next door to our Lexus dealership. They service Lexus as well. Well... they told me that Toyota recently released a bulletin to stop brake fluid flush. They no longer even offering that as part of recommended service. On top of that, he looked up '07 GS350 and right away told me that our car uses iridium spark plugs which are not recommended to be replaced until 120k miles. That answered my question. 60k service will be an oil change with everything else DIY!!!
Old 09-02-10, 11:09 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
Just got off the phone with a Toyota dealership, actually located next door to our Lexus dealership. They service Lexus as well. Well... they told me that Toyota recently released a bulletin to stop brake fluid flush. They no longer even offering that as part of recommended service. On top of that, he looked up '07 GS350 and right away told me that our car uses iridium spark plugs which are not recommended to be replaced until 120k miles. That answered my question. 60k service will be an oil change with everything else DIY!!!
Wha? This doesn't make sense.
Old 09-02-10, 11:32 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Regardless of where you get it done, brake fluid should be changed every two years.
Old 09-02-10, 12:07 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Trust me, call any of your local Toyota dealership - its an official bulletin. On newer cars transmission fluid guaranteed for life and brake fluid needs to be changed after 100k-120k miles. I already called 3 different Toyota dealers in our area to confirm that.
Old 09-02-10, 12:24 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Document Man (Tony)! Can you confirm such a bulletin exists?
Old 09-02-10, 01:26 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can confirm that I have not seen such a document on TIS. My two cents is that it's absurd to not replace the fluid though. On the flip side, why would the dealership lie about this? It's gravy for them, an easy money maker. I see that twister is located in NJ so it could be a regional thing? Not sure.

But regardless, it's silly that they state to 'Stop flushing' yet it's OK at 100k - 120k? I'd NEVER do that. 2 years, 30k, i'm comfy with.
Old 09-02-10, 03:31 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Keep in mind, I called Toyota dealerships inquiring about Lexus service work. Every place referenced a bulletin which I assume is related to Toyota. I don't think you going to find this specific bulletin under Lexus. With spark plugs it’s not even a question - iridium spark plugs last up to 120k and don't require a change after 60k. With break fluid, sounds like its up in the air. What do you think Lex dealership going to tell you? Of course, they will say "you have to do it". But my question if it’s really necessary.
Old 09-02-10, 04:11 PM
TWong350

TIS = Technical Information System is for both Toyota AND Lexus (Scion too). All bulletins are posted on this system.

I don't think they'd make it up. I surely never heard of it. I'll hit up my buddy who's still at a Toyota dealership for insight. Stay tuned....
Old 09-02-10, 10:12 PM
TWong350

update...talked to my buddy who's a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech at a local dealership here in SoCal and he laughed when I asked him.
Old 09-03-10, 06:32 AM
rexrw
Driver School Candidate

Default 60k service

So since your buddy who is a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech at a local dealership here in SoCal laughed when you asked him, does that mean he WOULD recommend doing a brake fluid flush at 60k?

Is the consensus that at 60k we should change the oil, filters, brake fluid, and we are good?
Old 09-03-10, 07:10 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

OK, just dropped my 3GS at dealership. Here is a scoop. There is a difference between brake fluid "flush" and "drain". Toyota/Lexus discontinued power flush of brake fluid system. It’s a special pressurized machine that actually power flushes the system, and they no longer even carry it. What Toyota/Lexus does recommend every 30k is brake fluid drain which is a gravity drain where they let brake fluid drain by itself, and once its done they fill it up with a new fluid. This doesn't improve any brake performance but rather a preventative measure. The cost at dealership is $129.

So really for 60k service you just need oil change and brake fluid drain. My dealership charges $182 for both. Air filter change ($16), engine filter ($50 for high performance), and tire rotation ($20 at any car place) are really DIY that can cost you additional $86. That is a grand total of $268 for 60k service. Any other price of $500, $800, and $1k quoted in this forum as charged by other dealerships is a daylight rape.
Old 09-03-10, 08:51 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Related to what's posted above (which has been very helpful), my dealer wants $680 for the 30k service. Am I crazy or is that considerably higher than it used to be?

Quick Reply: need 60k service advice