GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How Does GS compared to other cars you've owned?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 04:13 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by consultant
In the market for a used GS 350 or Acura RL. Of course the majority on the Acura forum say the RL is more trouble-free, looks better, yada yada. Both cars are going to be more reliable than your average sedan. But I have seen some indication the GS350 maybe be a little more problematic than you would expect from your average Lexus?

I'd be curious to get the scoop from existing GS350 owners on how the car has treated you, especially compared to other Japanese makes you've owned? I did see the recall notice regarding engine issues but they appear to not have been widespread?

The last thing I need is to be going to the dealer every 1-3 months for little nagging issues.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
I had a 99 GS300 and it was flawless. Not so, with the 07 GS350 - I've had it for 4 years now and every year, I have been trying to 'get it right'. I've spent more time at the dealership with this car than with my 3 previous Honda Accords, 99 Lexus GS300 and 03 ES300 and 96 Maxima. -- COMBINED.

I recently acquired a 2011 Hyundai Genesis sedan that is a superior car in every respect to my 07 GS350. My Genesis has a V8 - 385 HP. - I have never been more excited about a car than this Genesis. The ride, handling and spacious interior and trunk completely blow away my 07 GS350. the fit and finish is luxurious! Hyundai may be trying to make inroads in the U.S. Market, so you get a $65K car for $40K.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 09-12-10 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 09:56 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 469 Likes on 291 Posts

I find myself driving the GS more than my M5. That should tell you something about the car.

Last night, I was going out to dinner.. and I stood there for about 2 minutes contemplating which car to take out... and not surprisingly.. I picked up the Lexus key.

I love driving this car.
Old 09-13-10, 06:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bigL
Let me just tell you what I saw as a service consultant for Lexus and Acura both. As stated the Lexus may have a silly rattle or minor issue from time to time as does any car.But during my time at Acura I saw those cars come in plagued with issues and there was no consistency to the problems. One may have an electrical problem where the next identical vehicle may have power steering issues.There was no rhyme or reason.Also when I was at Lexus customer service was #1 and we did alot for people. While at Acura I was amazed at how little they cared whether you left happy,mad or if you came back.Also I noticed Acura was alot more likely to turn down warranty claims and try to make it customer pay.Heres an example. My brother had a brand new TL he bought and serviced at the dealer.During every service he complained about the transmission and the warning lights that would come on.They always said it was a fluke and not to worry about it.During his last service they said yes it is your transmission that needs replaced and your 15 miles past warranty so thatll be 5k.He took it up with the regional rep for Acura.My brother told him he didnt feel this was right and that Lexus wouldnt do this to one of there owners and the rep told him "if you think Lexus is so great then you shold buy one".So he did and now hes a member here on CL.In addition Ive owned my GS4 for ten years and love her and would never sell her.Lexus all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed. This is not unusual at all. Great post.

Originally Posted by designo
I find myself driving the GS more than my M5. That should tell you something about the car.

Last night, I was going out to dinner.. and I stood there for about 2 minutes contemplating which car to take out... and not surprisingly.. I picked up the Lexus key.

I love driving this car.
That is high praise!
Old 09-13-10, 12:24 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well considering my last car was a Matrix, it compares very favorably in every department except these:

1) My matrix had a manual 6 speed. It was finnicky and a pain to drive in traffic (probably infamouslly as it shared the touchy drivetrain of the Celica GT-S), but it was a lot more fun than the auto.

2) The utility of that Matrix could not be beat, I practically moved my whole condo in that thing. Multiple trips of course, but STILL... there are times when the little trunk on the GS just makes me sigh and remember my bright red little matrix.
Old 09-13-10, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the gs350 is not a bad car at all by any means, but at the same time i won't rate it very high among all the cars i have owned according to my expectation on what i need the car for. in my priorities

1) ls460l
2) sc430
3) gs400
4) m3
5) gs350
6) is300
Old 09-13-10, 01:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by designo

I love driving this car.
hahah really, we must be a bit different. i haven't really driven the gs in quite a while
Old 09-13-10, 06:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
hahah really, we must be a bit different. i haven't really driven the gs in quite a while
lol

OP, the RL is a great car and if you have previous Acura experience then its a logical step. Both the RL and GS have small issues, nothing major and will both better more reliable than most.