GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Interior door grip creaks, can it be popped out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 01:14 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Interior door grip creaks, can it be popped out?

I cannot tell from the parts fiche for the interior door panel. When I put any weight on the part (the black plastic recess you would hold onto as you close the doors), it creaks. I want to insulate it, but I'm not sure how it's being held in there and don't want to ***-ume that it's a clip that I can just pry out with a taped screwdriver.

Anybody have any clue?

The recessed hole around the leather trim:

Old 09-14-10, 02:33 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the creaking noise is due to loose clip on the inside of the door that also holds the weather strip...

Just be sure to fit the door panel back correctly, otherwise it would rub against the dashboard when driving and create more creaking noise...

The door panel was not installed correctly on my toy, so they are reinstalling it right now as we speak...

-Photo 1, no gap between the door and door panel, which is what is should look like.

-Photo 2, gap between the door and door panel, which will rub against the dashboard and creating more creaking noise.
Attached Thumbnails Interior door grip creaks, can it be popped out?-img_0256-1-.jpg   Interior door grip creaks, can it be popped out?-img_0257-1-.jpg  
Old 09-14-10, 07:02 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I think I was able to get the creak/squeak in the area to go away by profusely stuffing between the leather cover piece and the door panel with foam. I went ahead and stuffed foam just about anywhere I could stuff it with an old credit card. During the process I have now given my car it's new nickname of Foamy.
Old 09-14-10, 08:03 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I have now given my car it's new nickname of Foamy.
It's time to get the F(oamy)Sport badging!
Old 09-14-10, 10:15 PM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

This helps, had the same problem and couldn't figure out how to fix it and was pretty scared to approach my dealership for another problem.
Old 09-15-10, 09:14 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
This helps, had the same problem and couldn't figure out how to fix it and was pretty scared to approach my dealership for another problem.
I also sprayed silicone lube into the crevices but I found that didn't help at all in the problem areas.

Where did I stuff (grey) foam that I happened to have lining a crappy old emergency kit in the trunk?

- Rear passenger side door between the edge of the panel and the door frame (non-rolling window). When pressing on this area, squeak squeak. It's gone now, at least with my manual prodding test.

- Both plastic pieces on the interior covering the rocker area where wiring etc. is run, the place where it overlaps with another piece just behind the seats... was a bit loose and no matter what I did could not seem to make it clip in any tighter.

- Both front doors between the leather trim piece and the door panel.

- Into a few choice locations around the black cowl that surrounds the instrument cluster. Jammed foam in there. Before pressing around the instrument cluster cowl would produce a squeaky noise, seems better now... don't know how well that foam will stay lodged in there since I pressed it in so I couldn't see it. Hoping it doesn't drop inside and rest against something hot, melt, catch on fire, stink... :P I doubt anything behind that cowl gets hot enough to affect foam though.

One place that is still squeaky when I press around it is the center console. I've removed it a billion times but never thought at the time to figure out exactly what is making the squeak noise. Doesn't really bother me a lot since it only seems to happen when molesting it manually and it doesn't seem to make noise when driving.
Old 09-19-10, 08:56 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Initially I had a creaking noise coming from the Driver's side door, they were able to eliminate the noise.

Then the rubbing noise caused by door panel rubbing against the dashboard, due to poor re-installation of the door panel.

Now another creaking noise has arise from else where, so my toy is back in the shop again.

As far as I know, they have already taken out the front end of my toy including the windshield. It has been over a week, still they are not able to isolate the cause...

To Jinary Jay, read the link below, post #15...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-you-buy.html

I think this is a lost battle/quest, to eliminate or reduce the creaking/squeaking noise from our toy !!!