GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done (pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-10, 06:27 AM
araina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Try running a level 2 diagnostic on the flux capacitor.
Ok, I am not a mechanic. So what is the flux capacitor, what does it do and what is a level 2 diagnostic. I can give this info to the Lexus service advisor-thank you.
Old 11-16-10, 08:07 AM
scootrrydr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by araina
Ok, I am not a mechanic. So what is the flux capacitor, what does it do and what is a level 2 diagnostic. I can give this info to the Lexus service advisor-thank you.
Did you even read the manual?
Old 11-16-10, 08:13 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by araina
If you're having trouble finding it, I can't find a picture from the GS but here is a heavily modified one from an old Delorean. They should be similar looking. Your service advisor should know about it. If you ask him to schedule you in to get yours checked you'll make his day, I'm sure.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 11-16-10 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-16-10, 10:49 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

If you're having trouble finding it, I can't find a picture from the GS but here is a heavily modified one from an old Delorean. They should be similar looking. Your service advisor should know about it. If you ask him to schedule you in to get yours checked you'll make his day, I'm sure.

Yep, I do believe there is a TSB to recalibrate this. Cant remember the number. Tech will know exactly what you are describing; especially if you show him the picture. Handling the device requires special eyewear so dont try to manipulate on your own.
Old 11-16-10, 01:10 PM
araina
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MelYW
Yep, I do believe there is a TSB to recalibrate this. Cant remember the number. Tech will know exactly what you are describing; especially if you show him the picture. Handling the device requires special eyewear so dont try to manipulate on your own.
Ok, thanks for the info, I will fwd to service advisor. Just curious, how does this affect gas mileage if it is not calibrated correctly?
Old 11-17-10, 07:44 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

I've been told that poor fuel economy could also be a result of the muffler bearings not being installed after the VSR.
Old 11-17-10, 10:03 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gas mileage is not affected after 88 mph, but you will find that your time to get where you are going is significantly changed.
Old 11-17-10, 09:04 PM
jdaniels07
Driver School Candidate

got the car back on yesterday and no issues with idle.

it did have the oil burn-off smell that's been mentioned here but seems to be going away the more we drive.

in regards to the front brakes, was told that they de-glazed them, scuffed the rotors and cleaned them. also that lexus is aware of the brake noise problem and new pads should be released in mar of 2011. i've heard/read this somewhere before but thought the release was for mar 2010. my experience is with the current pads this is needed ~3-6 months to prevent the brake noise.

won't know about the gas mileage until after we drive it more but so far so good.

at about 52k miles so paid for the parts to have the plugs replaced during the VSR, ~$70.

our cars is off the factory warranty and we have no extended warranty. so i'm wondering what if anything we will get in terms of gift card or car purchase voucher...

we had an 2010 RX loaner and all the rattling made the little dash noise we hear from time to time nothing in our car. my 2003 F150 rides tighter, quieter and smoother than the RX did.

i will post more details as they come...

JD

Last edited by jdaniels07; 11-17-10 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 12:05 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been told that poor fuel economy could also be a result of the muffler bearings not being installed after the VSR.
This a serious question or you messing with people? If your advisor told you that, he was messing with you hard. For people who are not very car-savvy, muffler bearings are the same thing as blinker fluid. They don't exist. Tell a woman that to tell her service advisor and see his response.

Same thing with a flux capacitor. You don't drive a Delorean. Araina, the boys are playing with you. If someone told me that, I'd slap them with my wrench. Like the kid who came up to me one day and told me my friends integra type-r wasn't real because it wasn't 4-lug? WTF? Who breeds these people.

Last edited by tungo; 11-18-10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 01:19 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tungo
this a serious question or you messing with people? If your advisor told you that, he was messing with you hard. For people who are not very car-savvy, muffler bearings are the same thing as blinker fluid. They don't exist. Tell a woman that to tell her service advisor and see his response.

Same thing with a flux capacitor. You don't drive a delorean. Araina, the boys are playing with you. If someone told me that, i'd slap them with my wrench. Like the kid who came up to me one day and told me my friends integra type-r wasn't real because it wasn't 4-lug? Wtf? Who breeds these people.
lmfao rofl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-10, 01:50 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
lmfao rofl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 Come on, there is a life lesson here... use Google to avoid looking foolish. That being said, I'm off to go change my headlight fluid.
Old 11-18-10, 03:36 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Binary save me some i think my blinker fluid is getting low.
Old 11-18-10, 03:48 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Binary save me some i think my blinker fluid is getting low.
I picked up a 10 gallon tub of it at Costco, but it's a Group 18 fluid so make sure it's comptible with your blinkers dilithium chamber. I think they upgraded the self sealing stem bolts after 06.
Old 11-18-10, 09:05 PM
AlDavison
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a 10 gallon tub of it at Costco, but it's a Group 18 fluid so make sure it's comptible with your blinkers dilithium chamber. I think they upgraded the self sealing stem bolts after 06.
..........lol!
Old 11-18-10, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

okok, guys, just take it easy, good for the fun

Quick Reply: Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done (pics added)