GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done (pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 06:14 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
Huh? What is the TSB number on that? My dealer has been telling me that the rattle on start up is typical of that engine (07 GS350), and there is nothing they can do about it.
L-SB-0157-08
dated October 30, 2008
Old 09-29-10, 01:31 PM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
L-SB-0157-08
dated October 30, 2008
Anyone have a copy of this?
Old 09-29-10, 02:53 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=clayzgs350;5820608]...they are also fixing the cam sprocket TSB rattle noise that comes about every now and then upon start up, and they will also replace the spark plugs.[QUOTE]

I wouldnt pay them labor for the plugs, they will have them out for the recall.

Originally Posted by helpmeout1
Huh? What is the TSB number on that? My dealer has been telling me that the rattle on start up is typical of that engine (07 GS350), and there is nothing they can do about it.
Depends. Usually they will have to hear the noise. The TSIB addressed a very brief rattle when the engine is started up after sitting for a while and it goes away within a second or two of initial start up. The fix is new intake cam gears. It is not the same as a not so loud ticking noise in the engine that gets quieter as the engine warms. Hope that helps.

Last edited by onepointon; 09-29-10 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 05:53 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depends. Usually they will have to hear the noise. The TSIB addressed a very brief rattle when the engine is started up after sitting for a while and it goes away within a second or two of initial start up. The fix is new intake cam gears. [/QUOTE]

The dealership heard it, it only happens after sitting for a while, and it goes away after a couple seconds.

Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done - I wouldn't say the car is any peppier than it was before, and, if nothing else, may be less peppy. I have noticed a little higher and smoother idle RPM. The high idle RPM has caused me problems with my brakes in the past (if you have read any of my previous posts/threads), so hopefully it doesn’t make a bad situation worse. I am monitoring my gas mileage to see if there is any improvement, since I noticed a considerable drop after my fuel delivery pipes were replaced. It was nice that a full tank of gas was included with the recall.

Last edited by helpmeout1; 09-30-10 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 04:32 PM
BenzTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
How long did it take you?

They originally said about 7 hours of labor but took two days.
7.0 hrs is actual working time once the technician has the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Bushwack
FWIW...Taking the car in for the recall work this afternoon. Dealer said the recall does not involve an oil change. But they will fill up my tank for the inconvenience (OK with me as I'm in need of a fill-up).
Recall does not include oil change however, I recommend getting one while the car is there.
Old 10-04-10, 05:20 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If anybody is curious, my post highway fuel economy numbers... I went on a 4 hour drive on the weekend. I averaged 34 mpg.
Old 10-04-10, 05:25 PM
nGeee
Driver

After reading all the post and what my cousin said, after the valve springs recall, i heard something about the cam gears. I am over 50k service, and now at 61k miles. I just got my car done about almost 2 weeks now, should I go in and make appointment for replacing a cam gears without charge, since its due to the problem after valve springs?

Also, are you guys getting less mpg after the recall? i usually get 19mpgs after i got coilovers, i been getting 20-21mpgs. now i am getting 18mpgs.
Old 10-07-10, 08:04 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta give kudos to the dealership. They went above and beyond.

Picked up my car a couple days ago from having the valve springs replaced. They replaced the spark plugs (gratis..at my request), topped off my tank (I was at 1/4 full), replaced my battery under warranty (didn't know there was a problem), replaced the front rotors and pads (I mentioned the brakes squeak when applied towards the end of a full stop) and changed my air filter.

As for performance, car seems a little more responsive but that could be from the new plugs. Under the hood, the car sounds a little quieter and definitely has a smoother idle (and I thought it couldn't get smoother).

Dealership did a good job (Falk Lexus in Beverly Hills). Was offered a five day old IS Hybrid while being serviced but I declined. I'd love the opportunity to moan and groan about dealership service, but this time around they get five stars.
Old 10-07-10, 10:35 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IS HYBRID???? Why didn't u take it? Hold up is there an IS Hybrid? I am happy everything wen't really smooth i wish that among all of us that are doing it (Sitting on rocks here while my car is getting it done at the dealership).
Old 10-08-10, 07:14 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Gotta give kudos to the dealership. They went above and beyond.

Picked up my car a couple days ago from having the valve springs replaced. They replaced the spark plugs (gratis..at my request), topped off my tank (I was at 1/4 full), replaced my battery under warranty (didn't know there was a problem), replaced the front rotors and pads (I mentioned the brakes squeak when applied towards the end of a full stop) and changed my air filter.

As for performance, car seems a little more responsive but that could be from the new plugs. Under the hood, the car sounds a little quieter and definitely has a smoother idle (and I thought it couldn't get smoother).

Dealership did a good job (Falk Lexus in Beverly Hills). Was offered a five day old IS Hybrid while being serviced but I declined. I'd love the opportunity to moan and groan about dealership service, but this time around they get five stars.
Wow that's nice. Didn't know battery's covered under warranty too. Did you mean HS?
Old 10-08-10, 05:54 PM
mdjtlj
Driver School Candidate

Default Mileage is Down

Had my car done two weeks ago. Was in for a couple of days. Dealership filled it up as well.

However, since having it done, I've noticed a sharp decrease in the mileage. I was averaging about 24-25mpg before the work and got 18.4mpg the first tank after it being returned.

I use an iPhone app to track this stuff and I'm consistent on the method of fill-up and even the service station/grade that I use. 93 at our corner Shell. I'm confident in my calculations, which always seem to be different than the on-screen stuff.

I'm thinking at this point I don't really know what grade they used to fill it up with, which may have affected mpg, so I'm going to hold off and wait another tank to see what happens.
Old 10-08-10, 07:10 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mdjtlj
Had my car done two weeks ago. Was in for a couple of days. Dealership filled it up as well.

However, since having it done, I've noticed a sharp decrease in the mileage. I was averaging about 24-25mpg before the work and got 18.4mpg the first tank after it being returned.

I use an iPhone app to track this stuff and I'm consistent on the method of fill-up and even the service station/grade that I use. 93 at our corner Shell. I'm confident in my calculations, which always seem to be different than the on-screen stuff.

I'm thinking at this point I don't really know what grade they used to fill it up with, which may have affected mpg, so I'm going to hold off and wait another tank to see what happens.
Do you guys have the 10% ethanol there? That gets significantly less mileage but even then I don't think it'd be a 7 MPG difference.
Old 10-08-10, 07:58 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I meant an HS hybrid. Didn't take it because I have other cars I can drive and, with Murphy's law, some 16 year old one-hair-on-his-chest knucklehead would probably hit me while texting/talking on the phone.

As for the battery, I was also surprised it was covered. I'd have expected a prorated cost. I think Lexus has a lot to make up to the customer and this is there way of coming back into our good graces (including tank fill-up).

As for a change in MPG, I'll know by Sunday. Doing a round trip this weekend L.A. --> Palm Springs. Depending on how heavy my foot is, I get 27-30 MPG highway.
Old 10-09-10, 06:45 AM
dwiall
Driver

I had my cam gears done while they did the valve springs, they have to take them off to do the springs anyway. I just told the tech it made noise on start up and he said he would take care off it. Funny, the techs will tell you about any TSB but the service tech wants you to prove it. My experience was great and always has been with Lexus of Madison. They gave me a brand new RX450H for 4 days while they did the work. My car is not certified or anything but they treat me like I bought a brand new LS600HL. I am always very pleasent and grateful when I go in and they appriciate me not being a snob and even tell me they like working with me because I am understanding. It pays to be nice. They always reward me and treat me special. I think they know when the time comes, I will buy that new LS600 from them.
Old 10-09-10, 11:54 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dwiall
I had my cam gears done while they did the valve springs, they have to take them off to do the springs anyway. I just told the tech it made noise on start up and he said he would take care off it. Funny, the techs will tell you about any TSB but the service tech wants you to prove it. My experience was great and always has been with Lexus of Madison. They gave me a brand new RX450H for 4 days while they did the work. My car is not certified or anything but they treat me like I bought a brand new LS600HL. I am always very pleasent and grateful when I go in and they appriciate me not being a snob and even tell me they like working with me because I am understanding. It pays to be nice. They always reward me and treat me special. I think they know when the time comes, I will buy that new LS600 from them.
That's very nice. I keep getting IS250 AWD, once in awhile RX350. O well.

Quick Reply: Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done (pics added)