GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done (pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 06:37 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the engine heads go off when replacing valve springs?

If so, my car is barely 2-years old and no person wants that kind of work done on a fairly new vehicle.
Old 11-10-10, 07:46 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i wanted to get the 500 gift card and do the recall but lexus told me i have to get the valve spring done order to get the gift card,,,
Old 11-10-10, 08:09 AM
helpmeout1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
If they filled your gas tank wait until you fill it yourself. I had the car in for service about a year ago and they filled the car for me because I dropped it off empty and they needed to run it so they filled it. But they apparently filled it with 89 octane and I had the same problem you're having. Just make sure you use premium next time and see if that helps.
Not gas. I have ran a couple tanks through mine and still have the issue.

My idle has been as low as 150, which feels pretty rough.

My car is going back, AGAIN, to the dealership. Last month is was in the shop for half the month.
Old 11-10-10, 01:33 PM
RDNXXX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankly i dont notice a difference in the car pre and post valve spring replacement, dealer called me scheduled loaner and offical letter of recall came after dealer completed work. still runs great 3 weeks after.
Old 11-10-10, 01:43 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlDavison
Do the engine heads go off when replacing valve springs?

If so, my car is barely 2-years old and no person wants that kind of work done on a fairly new vehicle.
No...valve springs can easily be replaced without removing the heads. And you're right, no one wants their heads removed on a new car.
Old 11-11-10, 04:38 PM
jdaniels07
Driver School Candidate

what's the deal on the spark plugs we're at almost 55k miles and if I can save on the labor by paying for the new plugs and have them put them back in instead of the old ones i will...

anyone asked about this? i saw one post so far where someone said they put new plugs in which sounded like he didn't ask and they did it on their dime.

so does eveyone get the gift card after the vsr?

appt is for tomorrow will let you know how it goes...

JD
Old 11-11-10, 04:58 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jdaniels07
what's the deal on the spark plugs we're at almost 55k miles and if I can save on the labor by paying for the new plugs and have them put them back in instead of the old ones i will...

anyone asked about this? i saw one post so far where someone said they put new plugs in which sounded like he didn't ask and they did it on their dime.

so does eveyone get the gift card after the vsr?

appt is for tomorrow will let you know how it goes...

JD
Eh? I wrote that I replaced the spark plugs early after I bought the car even though they weren't quite due yet because of the weird idle/shaking. I thought that would help. It was only after that these TSBs came out that I realized that I could have had them put it in during the TSB services for free since they took my brand new plugs out twice since ... once for valve springs, and another time for the top engine cleaning. So yeah, I paid labor for a spark plug change and then they took those new plugs out twice after that already.

Oh well!

Noticed an sound I haven't noticed from my engine today while I was replacing a light bulb... like an intermittant slurping fizzly air sound from the drivers side of the engine. It was hard to locate but it sounded like the corner closest to the firewall. Anybody have any ideas what's located there that could possibly be doing that? Sounded almost like a loose vacuum hose but I'm not sure why it would only do it for a second or so and go away with no real pattern. I didn't have a ratchet set on me so I couldn't get the middle engine cover off to get a better look at what's there. It didn't sound like the idle of the car changed or anything during the slurps.
Old 11-11-10, 09:25 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Just got me VSR done today. I would have to say my dealership did a great job. So far car feels great, no rough idle, responsive and smooth as ever.

I also previously brought it in for the grinding start. They couldnt reproduce at my first visit. I told them about this toady and they went ahead and replaced 2 gear assemblies while the engine was being worked on for the VSR campaign.

They labeled it as TSB L-SB-0157-08. They called it engine knock at cold start.

Time will tell if all is fixed as the grinding was intermittent and unpredictable.

Good luck guys!

BTW, got my $1,500 voucher and extended warranty info a few days ago....before I called to bring my car in. Seems you will get this if your car is affected...and regardless of whether you get it serviced for the VSR or not.
Old 11-12-10, 04:26 AM
AlDavison
Driver

I'm going to wait awhile to make sure that my dealer repaired hundreds of VSRs and I know how mechanics work too. They leave out a bolt over here or a washer over there. They have sticky fingers from pizzas, sodas etc. I just hope someone will repair my car right. However, Westside Lexus in Houston had many recognition awards and there body shop was #1 in the nation.

Anyways, I barely had my car two years and now a major recall. I betcha Lexus knew about this sometime ago, but they let us bite the bullet. I understand that things happens though. Lexus has always been good to me.
Old 11-12-10, 04:48 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I'm going to wait awhile to make sure that my dealer repaired hundreds of VSRs and I know how mechanics work too. They leave out a bolt over here or a washer over there. They have sticky fingers from pizzas, sodas etc. I just hope someone will repair my car right. However, Westside Lexus in Houston had many recognition awards and there body shop was #1 in the nation.

Anyways, I barely had my car two years and now a major recall. I betcha Lexus knew about this sometime ago, but they let us bite the bullet. I understand that things happens though. Lexus has always been good to me.
So the Lexus dealership has had many recognition awards and their body shop was #1 in the nation but you still don't trust them?
Old 11-12-10, 05:38 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recieved the $1500 certificate against new car, and a letter which said the $500 gift card will arrive in a few weeks and I haven't done the recall yet. My car was bought new and paid cash - no LFS involvement.

I wonder if I can use the $500 card for the Vaistech ML Plus from the Lexus dealer.
Old 11-12-10, 05:42 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I recieved the $1500 certificate against new car, and a letter which said the $500 gift card will arrive in a few weeks and I haven't done the recall yet. My car was bought new and paid cash - no LFS involvement.

I wonder if I can use the $500 card for the Vaistech ML Plus from the Lexus dealer.
I'm going to take an educated guess that the certificate will be good only for genuine toyota installed accessories, that way on their side it's not really that they're giving away $500, more like $200 after you eliminate all of the margins.

I just wonder if they're going to treat all of the recalls this way for the time being, and offer something like this for the upcoming master cylinder recall. I'm going to guess no since it's not nearly at the same level of open heart surgery though it may have nothing to do with the extensiveness of the recall and more about maintaining their brand in which any additional recalls at this point would serve the same purpose to deteriorate it.

Personally, I would much rather have the manufacturer come out and issue a recall for even the smallest things rather than sweep it under the rug and leave it for me to pay for at some point in the future if it were to break. I believe every car out there has tons of problems that probably warrant recalls, and issuing voluntary recalls for things that have remote chances of actually causing problems reflects well in my mind.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 11-12-10 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-12-10, 05:58 AM
AlDavison
Driver

Originally Posted by Yang1815
So the Lexus dealership has had many recognition awards and their body shop was #1 in the nation but you still don't trust them?
After few hundred VSR jobs...yes!

.....but my GS-350 will not be the first in the bay for the mechanics to go....>

Last edited by AlDavison; 11-12-10 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-12-10, 06:00 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I'm going to take an educated guess that the certificate will be good only for genuine toyota installed accessories, that way on their side it's not really that they're giving away $500, more like $200 after you eliminate all of the margins.

I just wonder if they're going to treat all of the recalls this way for the time being, and offer something like this for the upcoming master cylinder recall. I'm going to guess no since it's not nearly at the same level of open heart surgery though it may have nothing to do with the extensiveness of the recall and more about maintaining their brand in which any additional recalls at this point would serve the same purpose to deteriorate it.

Personally, I would much rather have the manufacturer come out and issue a recall for even the smallest things rather than sweep it under the rug and leave it for me to pay for at some point in the future if it were to break. I believe every car out there has tons of problems that probably warrant recalls, and issuing voluntary recalls for things that have remote chances of actually causing problems reflects well in my mind.
I agree. BMW doesn't do recalls for the smallest things (or even for big things like the turbo issue on their twinpower six) which is why they have so many class action lawsuits.
Old 11-12-10, 06:01 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

After few hundred VSR jobs...yes!

.....but my GS-350 will not the first in the bay for the mechanics to go....>
At this point a lot of dealers have done a few hundred. I feel the same way but I think I will get it done next week.

Quick Reply: Thoughts After Valve Spring Recall Done (pics added)