GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Installing V1 Ichiba 10mm spacers on 3GS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-10, 03:39 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Installing V1 Ichiba 10mm spacers on 3GS?

Ok guys, so I took in the car to my tire shop to have the spacers installed. And the shop guy tells me these spacers that come with extended studs require dismantling the wheel hub.

He showed me and it made sense.

The extended studs need to replace the OEM studs that stick out of the hub. Therefore, the hub needs to be dismantled and these new studs put in.

Why is it so complicated? Why can't these 10mm spacers come equipped like the larger ones ( 20mm+ spacers ) with studs already installed into the spacers?

So I took the car to a mechanic to have this done and he did tell me that there might be some problems doing that due to the wheel bearings especially front wheel hubs!

But so far he hasn't called me back so I am assuming all is okay with the install. The car will be ready later this evening! Fingers crossed.. I am really worried things could go horribly wrong!

Should I be worried?

There were no instructions for the install at all. I don't understand why? The spacers came with 10 holes, what are the other 5 holes for? They are slightly alligned differently to my application!

Last edited by designo; 09-19-10 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-19-10, 05:37 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there universal to a few bolt patterns. Its an easy install but not as easy as the type II bolt on ones. The smallest you can go is 15 mm for the bolt on. Can you squeeze another 5 mm up front?
Old 09-19-10, 10:00 AM
designo
Pole Position

Spacers installed.. the stance looks great!

The idiot who installed my spacers forgot to re-install the hub rings that came with the MRR wheels! So driving the car home, horrible shaking!

Stopped at the tire shop next to my house, and looked inside the bag he left behind containing the old studs... and what do you know? The hub rings were inside!

Anyways, installed the hub rings and drove the car a bit... i do feel slight shaking! I fail to understand why my car and spacers don't get along? These are only 10mm for pete's sake!

Anyways, I am gonna get another tire shop to re-torque them back on for me and let's see what happens!

The problem is that these spacers are not easy to take off again, I need to go through the whole timely process again!!!
Old 09-19-10, 01:18 PM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man..we always have to worry about hub rings. When I took my car in for brake work I wrote in big letters HUB RINGS on painters tape and put them on each rim.
Old 09-20-10, 09:29 AM
designo
Pole Position

I am sick of this *****! I have used spacers all my life and never had as much problems as with this Lexus.

I am still giving the product credit by blaming the car, but now I am going to give it one more shot... I am ordering H&R's and if that doesn't stop my Lexus from shaking like a donkey cart... I'm scrapping the whole modding project!!

***** it!
Old 09-20-10, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

back to the stud problem. it's pretty weird that they have to take part the whole hub. on my previous lexus, i had to replace the stud and it was actually very easy. at the back of the hub, there is actually a hole that will align with the stud. so you just turn the hub to align with the stud, and then hammer out the old stud. put in a new one and then use a lug nut to tighten and "pull" the new stud into place. i haven't checked on the new lexus, but i think it would be dumb for them to take this feature out.

when you put on the wheel, did you use star shape tightening pattern to tighten them?
Old 09-20-10, 11:49 AM
designo
Pole Position

Yes, all manually torqued in a star shaped manner.
Old 09-20-10, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm, when you feel vibration, do you feel it in the steering wheel, or feel it on the seat?

if on the steering wheel, that seems to be the front. do you mind doing a little experiment? jack up the front (one side) just enough to let the wheel spin. spin the wheel and see if at certain point, the tire catches on the ground. if the wheel is centered well, this shouldn't happen. if it happens, maybe you can try loosening the lugs and jiggle wheel / tighten lugs again, until you are able to turn the wheel freely

this might help?
Old 09-20-10, 11:31 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

sorry to hear.. my buddy with clk550 is having the same issue after he installed spacers, so i'm pretty sure it's not the car.. are the MMR wheels hubcentric? seems like vibration with spacers are pretty common.. this is a long shot, but take a look here and see if you can resolve it somehow, this is v2 however..
Old 09-21-10, 03:44 AM
designo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, when you feel vibration, do you feel it in the steering wheel, or feel it on the seat?

if on the steering wheel, that seems to be the front. do you mind doing a little experiment? jack up the front (one side) just enough to let the wheel spin. spin the wheel and see if at certain point, the tire catches on the ground. if the wheel is centered well, this shouldn't happen. if it happens, maybe you can try loosening the lugs and jiggle wheel / tighten lugs again, until you are able to turn the wheel freely

this might help?
Thanks bro, will try this experiment as I will be able to pinpoint where exactly the problem is!

Originally Posted by stvincent
sorry to hear.. my buddy with clk550 is having the same issue after he installed spacers, so i'm pretty sure it's not the car.. are the MMR wheels hubcentric? seems like vibration with spacers are pretty common.. this is a long shot, but take a look here and see if you can resolve it somehow, this is v2 however..
The MRR are fine ( they did come with rings to fit the lexus ), i ran them without spacers and were perfect.

I am sure it's a spacer related issue.
Old 09-21-10, 07:27 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

back to the stud problem. it's pretty weird that they have to take part the whole hub. on my previous lexus, i had to replace the stud and it was actually very easy. at the back of the hub, there is actually a hole that will align with the stud. so you just turn the hub to align with the stud, and then hammer out the old stud. put in a new one and then use a lug nut to tighten and "pull" the new stud into place. i haven't checked on the new lexus, but i think it would be dumb for them to take this feature out.

when you put on the wheel, did you use star shape tightening pattern to tighten them?
I completely agree with this process. This is how factory studs are replaced!
Old 09-21-10, 04:42 PM
designo
Pole Position

at the back of the hub, there is actually a hole that will align with the stud. so you just turn the hub to align with the stud, and then hammer out the old stud. put in a new one and then use a lug nut to tighten and "pull" the new stud into place.
Here are two pics of the front and rear hubs ( no spacers installed with OEM studs )... How do I possibly replace the studs without taking everything apart???

Does that "key" allow me to open up the hub?

Last edited by designo; 06-19-23 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 04:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no, look behind, as in behind the whole hub (from the back).
Old 09-21-10, 04:55 PM
lkapimp216
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have left the factory lugs on and gotten some of these extended lugs like the bottom one shown below. I ve been riding like this with no issues forever!
Attached Thumbnails Installing V1 Ichiba 10mm spacers on 3GS?-lugs.jpg  
Old 09-21-10, 04:59 PM
designo
Pole Position

Oh dear!! Now you tell me....

Quick Reply: Installing V1 Ichiba 10mm spacers on 3GS?